Sometimes I Just Want to Give Up

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Ophiolite, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

:shrug:
    Pincho Paxton posted this in the Cesspool.
    Now I happen to think Pincho is a self deluded, ignorant and possibly brain dead pain in the arse. However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the above post. Indeed it is the only thing I have seen from him that makes any sense and is worth reading.

What was 'management's response'? Enmos shut it down with a warning "Don't post this sort of thing again." Really? We permit mindless crap to role on for page after page, then moderate something that is actually harmless. As the title of the thread says, sometimes......

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He posted it in Free Thoughts.
    If your thread gets cesspooled you don't create a thread with a reference to it and then going :blbl:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Why not? I thought it was a nice, lighthearted, whimsical observation. His rubbish is ignored in the mainstream fora, but gets lots of looks in the Cesspool.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a punishment. :bawl: 77 viewing now.

8. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I completely agree & it definitely sparked my curiosity.

Enmos - why does Cesspool get so many views?

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

The Cesspool gets so many views because we know that's where the really stupid stuff get's put, and we need a laugh.

10. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

That cracked me up.

I go there to make sure that there isn't a "conspiracy."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I want to make sure that the stuff there truly is, well. . . .

when I get there, then I wonder why some of the threads just weren't deleted to begin with. Other times. . . . .

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

I'm sorry, but what is the point of this thread?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cesspool please

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Pincho has a good sense of humor.
    I wish I knew what chemistry he was taking...he seems to be happy. Not sure if reality based. But happy.

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Enmos has declared that Chimpkin's post was unacceptable by locking it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and indeed find it one of the better posts Pincho has made. In short, from where I am sitting, Enmos's action was some combination of the following: arbritary, vindictive, pointless, powercrazy, foolish, warped, overbearing, etc. I disapprove of Enmos's action and wanted to get a sense of other's opinions on the matter.

Of course, I know that the "Open government" banner is only for show, but what the hell?

15. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Not true, because the other threads in there are old, and look at their number of views. My thread is catching up at a rapid rate. I think that my thread gets a lot of views because a lot of people know that I have never been wrong before. So there's a good chance that I'm right again. But it certainly isn't science. I don't see that the science forum is a reward, and the cesspool is a punishment. I am happy to be in any forum, but I see the science forum as the lowest forum.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That would be Pincho Paxton's thread.

Excuse me?

And, by the way, he doesn't even seem to mind. So why do you?

17. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

I think that the main problem of where my thread is, is that if it is proved right, it shows some disrespect for the future of science, and is like science trying not to evolve. Pseudo-science, and alternative science are the CAUSE of science. Science is the EFFECT of creative thinking. Einstein at first would have been using creative thinking, and he would be bumbled into pseudo-science. His 3D visual mind was the important part of his creativity. But Cesspool suddenly gets boosted by putting my ideas in there, and the boost throws it out of being a cesspool. Cesspool becomes CAUSE of science the EFFECT. It just seems odd. But when Dwddrything argues with me, he asks "where are your old posts to prove that you said it first?".. in this case.. the cesspool. Not only that but my post is linked to a post I made before the Neutrino speed was announced, so it is one of the few posts that has a pre-neutrino speed date attached to it, by looking at where my idea was first posted. And it was to do with time dilation in aircraft, so that goes back a long way.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the correction. I was typing in a hurry.

I am giving a direct, honest description of how your action struck me. I do not apologise for direct, honest communications.

Because your action appeared to me to be some combination of arbritary, vindictive, pointless, powercrazy, foolish, warped, overbearing, etc. Do you think it is unreasonable to object to actions that are some combination of arbritary, vindictive, pointless, powercrazy, foolish, warped, overbearing, etc?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I already told you why I moved it to the Cesspool. Not that I answer to you..
    But anyway, you seemed to be under the impression that Pincho posted it in the Cesspool (which is impossible by the way) while he actually posted it in Free Thoughts. I don't know if that will make any difference to you, but I thought I should point this out again.

No, not if they actually are all that. However, I think that your characterization of me is unfair and uncalled for.

I must say that I'm a bit surprised at your outrage over this.
    Do you think it's a good thing if people start posting haha-threads when their thread gets moved to the Cesspool? What is the point of it anyway?
    At any rate, this thread right here isn't going to change anything; I stand by my decision. So perhaps you should go file a formal complaint or something.

20. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

He is right... I just tried.

Strange... I had a feeling this thread was going to be about this situation before i clicked on it. Daja-vu kinda..

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

science is the natural outgrowth of man trying to explain his surroundings.
    the only consensus is truth.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Enmos,
    I am not objecting to the move of a thread by Enmos to the Cesspool. I am objecting to the fact that you locked a second thread he posted commenting on the first move. Objecting is itself perhaps too strong a word. Bemused that someone could be so petty, might be a more apt turn of phrase.

You have not yet given a reasonable explanation for locking a thread in which someone makes a lighthearted comment. Until you do I am left to believe that the reason is some combination of arbritary, vindictive, pointless, powercrazy, foolish, warped, overbearing, etc. . Please note that in my lexicon "some combination" does not require that all of these be present. I was just trying to be comprehensive.

I am not outraged by it. I just don't think poorly thought out, apparently arbritary decisions should pass without comment.

Fine Enmos. If you are going to lock threads that are 'bad things' then why the frigging hell don't you and your fellow moderators lock the threads where idtios spout pseudoscience nonsense till the cows have been turned to hamburger meat?

Frankly, it was neither a good thing, nor a bad thing. On balance I found it mildly amusing. There was certainly absolutely no good reason to lock it.

I wasn't seeking to change anything. I was seeking to understand why you acted as you did. Now I know you made a silly decision, one which you would readily repeat given like circumstances. I have learned something.

Not necessary. You've revealed your thought processes.

Sorry Enmos. That just confirms that you are as big a prat as you appear to be. A good moderator is there to support the members. You exist because we post. We don't post because you exist.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Whatever you think you have learned, I hope you put it to good use.