Sound volume and distance & decibels

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Jennifer Murphy, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Does the volume of a sound decrease as the square of the distance? That is, if I move twice as far from the sound source, will the volume be 1/4? One website says it does, but another says that the pressure varies directly with distance.

Are these two statements both true? If so, how is sound pressure related to volume?

Another website says that doubling the distance from the source will reduce the sound by 6 dB. I know that the decibel scale is logarithmic, so this would seem to support the first statement that volume decreqases as th3 square of the distance. Is decibels not a measure of volume?

I'd appreciate any help understanding these concepts.

Thanls

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The sound intensity (in Watts per square metre) certainly decreases as the inverse square of the distance.

The perceived volume is a different matter, because human hearing doesn't have a linear response to sound intensity. This is one reason why we have the decibel scale of sound level, which is logarithmic.

I'd have to look up the relationship between pressure and intensity. I'd guess that, probably, intensity goes as the square of the pressure, or something like that (but that's just a guess).

Volume is not a precisely defined concept, as far as I am aware. Human perception of volume depends on a few different things. Sound intensity is one, but there's also a frequency dependence - we don't hear equally well at all frequencies we can perceive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

For more info, Google "Fletcher Munson equal loudness contour".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.