Sounds of ghosts from abandoned insane asylum

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Oct 26, 2013.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Did you even read the post? Because your confusion would be rectified if you had.

MR didn't give up Christianity because he's a rational person; he gave up on it because it was traumatic. He's replaced it with supernaturalism, which he defends with all the illogical tenacity and credulity of a religious zealot.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

would supernatural phenomena still be illogical if it turned out that dark matter had something to do with it?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I am actually paraphrasing what he said a page or two earlier, and it sounded suspiciously lacking of the empiricism. He said some fields do not lend themselves to the rigors of hard science, and certainly attributing some unexplained energy a life force is as philosophical as just about anything. And if he also thinks there is plenty of evidence based on these interpretations of the unexplained, that is the same process of most religious people - a process he is antagonistic towards. The only difference is saying, "we will find out, and I'll have my proof." But what happens when we don't find out. Kick the can down the road, of course.

interpretations not subject to testing, just like some of freud's ideas, religions and philosophies, that I was talking about this last few weeks. And yet here I am looking at a ghost thread, and... as you say... the double standard.
    it is incredibly obvious that, were these things to occur throughout history,people would have attached their mythology to it. Chicken or egg, i don't care and we wouldn't know, but you can't believe people wouldn't equate these beings with demons or angels, or gods, or spirits of the forest, if they walked into somebody's hut, tent, castle, or house, or popped out from behind a tree.
    Additionally, the ghost is a wild card. Until it is explained, communicated with, etc, it is just another thing you can say pretty much anything about. "This spooky electrical phenomenon is a human soul," is just philosophy. It could just as easily be explained as humans interpreting some experience, in the way that makes sense to them, putting anthropomorphic form to something that doesn't have a form at all and is just random quantum glitching from many worlds # 7 or wherever.
    this double standard seems pretty much ubiquitous. Classic case of interpretation based on ideology (the way most people do it), as opposed to ideology based on facts, that most people claim to have.

8. Balerion Banned Banned

I thought you meant what we'd call them in terms of actual scientific classification. If you're just talking about what laypeople would call them, sure.

That's true, though calling it philosophy is too generous. There's no deep thought here, or pursuit of truth. It's wish-thinking.

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

you are talking about something that hasn't happened as if it were more real than people talking about religion. If aliens exist, they may simply be invisible to us, maybe the ghosts are aliens, maybe they are non-human beings, maybe they are dead people. You do not know.
    Maybe the aliens will breathe fire and eat only green cheese, you don't know. Just don't pretend to have a frame of reference, if your frame of reference moves when talking about one interpretive process (ghosts), and then moves again when talking about religion. Is it ok to say, "use this cognitive process for science, and this other process for ghosts", but it isn't ok to say, "use this process for science, and this other process for religion." ??? You think if someone hears a ghost they are sane and if someone hears god they are crazy???
    these things clearly are not defined yet. You are talking about some type of energies that manifest in a way that appears to some people to have a form that is in accordance with things they know about. These things you are talking about could be called a lot of things, fairies, spirits, demons, aliens, raw manifestations of energy that we anthropomorphize, etc. The point is that if one set of beings that defies current empirical testing exists, the door is open for a hundred other unexplained ideas to be true.
    if spirits exist after death, that puts us about a thousand miles closer to the idea of heaven and hell than if spirits don't exist after death.

10. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

My main point was that if we don't know what they are, it is quite difficult to say what they are not.

11. Balerion Banned Banned

Presumably, if we discovered actual evidence of them, we'd have some idea of what they were. That said, supposing a hypothetical scenario in which we saw something we truly could not explain, I don't see what the rationale would be for assuming they could be the ghosts and demons of legend.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I understand your assertion, but the fundamental difference between someone believing in the paranormal and someone following a Deity, is that there is no worship involved with the paranormal. There is no emotion connected with it. Religion requires more than belief, it requires worship, and an unwavering sense of faith. Magical doesn't have 'faith' in the paranormal and he's admitted that he doesn't believe in every reported claim. So, while I see what you're saying, I don't believe that he 'swapped' one for the other--for what causes one to become a religious zealot has more to do with worship, piety, and fear. Those three things can be entirely absent when ''believing'' in the possibility of the paranormal. If Magical were to find out that the paranormal does not exist, he wouldn't be 'traumatized,' as he was with Christianity, when he came to terms with that sham of a religion. I'm speculating, but I just think it's not as cut and dry as you make it, that's all.

13. Balerion Banned Banned

If you don't see MR's emotional connection to the paranormal, you're not reading his posts. I mean, I really don't know what to tell you. He's acted irrationally and immaturely in this thread when his views on the paranormal have been challenged. That's an emotional response.

Incorrect. There are godless religions, and many people who are religious don't practice any kind of worship. They simply have faith.

That's just silly. I've never met a religious person who would call their faith unwavering, so you're essentially disqualifying everyone in the world based on a qualifier that has no basis in reality.

Of course he has faith in the paranormal. He is entirely credulous. He may pay lip service to not believing every reported claim, but I don't buy that for a second, since he hasn't offered a shred of criticism for anything that has been posted by him or others. He takes these people at their word and believes the images, sounds, and stories are all 100% genuine, so by what standard does he decide any claim is false?

That he used this to fill the void left by the absence of Christianity in his life is a natural, rational conclusion reached by his religious behavior in this regard.

MR wants to believe in the paranormal because he can't accept that his God's absence means the death of all the things he liked about religion, such as life after death. The paranormal has become as much of a crutch as his Christianity was.

He's never going to find out that the paranormal does not exist, because he won't allow himself to believe it. And he didn't "find out" that the Christian God didn't exist, he simply decided it didn't after he got sick of the pain that lifestyle gave him. And no, he wasn't traumatized by the revelation that God doesn't exist; he was traumatized by his experience as a Christian.

The paranormal is his substitute for that. He's not a rational person, he's every bit a believer now as he was then. The difference is that this faith doesn't cost him anything. Well, except his dignity and reputation, but that's a price all believers pay, to some extent.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

To be fair, some of his reactions can be directly attributed to your extremely harsh posts.

While you have your reasoning, there is (your) subtle implication that Magical lacks common sense and logic, in a general sense--and that can come across as demeaning. Just another way to view it, you know? IOW, he is defending himself and his integrity, more than anything.

If it's a religion, there is an aspect of worship within it. Perhaps, not to a Deity, but there is a worship-aspect of some type within all religions. Otherwise, they all would have died out a long time ago. It is possible to worship (or idolize) a concept or belief.

So, every religious person you have ever met has been ''lukewarm'' in his/her faith?

If you scroll back, maybe a page or two, can't recall exactly where...I've asked Magical if there are any claims that he has not supported, and you'll see his reply. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I guess that happens, but believing in the paranormal isn't fulfilling, as religion might have once been for him. (or for anyone, for that matter) I'd have to disagree on this point, but only Magical can answer that question, with certainty.

How so? It's probably little more than a fleeting thought, when he hears or reads about newly reported claims. He passionately defends the claims on here, because he believes the ''evidence'' that's been provided. (and this site provides a spot for formal discussions) I haven't really seen much in the way of Magical discussing the after-life, in general. Not sure if there's any tie to that, based from his belief in the paranormal.

Okay, fair enough...but either way, believing in the paranormal doesn't cost him anything. And he sees the evidence that claimants have provided as being a differentiating factor between belief in God, and belief in ghosts. (ie: audio and video to support sounds and visions, relating to the paranormal claims)

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

We DO know how ghosts act. We have evps recording their words. We have full body manifestations of them matching deceased people in the past. We have the places they haunt, usually their home or place of death. It would be ignorant to say they aren't deceased persons when they appear for all intents and purposes to be exactly that.

I can tell you right now they're NOT going to be the beings we make up in science fiction stories. In the same way, ghosts are NOT the beings we make up in religion or in hollywood. They're not winged cherubs nor goatmen with pitchforks. They are forms of human consciousness.

Don't presume to tell me what to believe about a field I've been studying for 10 years now. The reason I believe in the paranormal is purely based on the evidence I've seen for it. Likewise I reject religion for its complete LACK of evidence. Noone's recording voices of God or Jesus on digital recorders in churches. There are no accounts of God appearing to people in a physical form. They can't even get the wine and the wafers to change their molecular composition. There is no more evidence for religion that there is for any other fantasy. The paranormal? A totally different matter.

We have recordings, photos, and videos of ghosts. You come up with a recording or photo of God and maybe I'll listen. And no, a tortilla with the shape of Jesus on it doesn't count.

No..We have thousands of investigations turning up typical characteristics of these beings that enable us to say they are at least deceased human consciousnessess. There are other cases with poltergeists that suggest something a little more--of tremendous psychic energy being manipulated by a ghost. One thing they are NOT is religious characters from a holy book of fables. When you come up with evidence that they are, let me know, ok?

Continuance after death doesn't entail either heaven or hell. The state as I pointed out is entirely different. The only state it remotely might be connected to is that of limbo, a quaint superstitious relic of the medieval Catholic Church. If you wanna twist it into some sort of confirmation of the Bible feel free to. But I refuse to do that. I'm going strictly by evidence here, not by the claims made by wishful thinkers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So according to Balerion, I'm replacing religion which totally traumatized me and scarred me with false hope, shame, and neurotic fear with faithbased belief in the paranormal because I miss religion so much? That doesn't even make sense. Why would you replace a system of beliefs you totally discarded because of the suffering it caused you with another system of beliefs that will inflict the same sort of damage? If anything I replaced religion with science, placing my trust in its logic and empiricle methods to become the authorative source of truth for me. But I'm always wary even of science laying claims to being the ultimate epistemological tool. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!

17. Balerion Banned Banned

You're not replacing Christianity with another version of Christianity. What you need is the crutch, the promise of an afterlife and some cosmic meaning. Christianity scarred you, so you ditched God and replaced him with ghosts. Even your basis for disbelief in God isn't rooted in science; your logic on that count is circular. And when it comes to ghosts, you couldn't be further from science. Science doesn't factor into your worldview whatsoever.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yeah, as usual you think you know me better than I know myself. Why don't you just ask me what I believe first? Aww but then that wouldn't suit your agenda of attacking my character for believing in the paranormal. For the record I don't know if there's an afterlife or not. For all I know ghosts might be semiconscious shells temporarily trapped at certain geographical locations. When they dissipate they may simple cease to exist. So no, I don't know there's an afterlife. But then I don't know there isn't one either. I prefer to wait and find out. That sort of blows your whole immortality crutch argument out of the water doesn't it? Along with your ludicrous claim of me replacing a religion I hated with another religion..

19. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

yes. if we did, i am sure we could put them right up against our descriptions of ghosts demons, fairies, and angels, and aliens, and see which matches most closely. Of course alien believers would probably call angels "aliens", and religious people call aliens "angels", anyway. I doubt any evidence we found would reveal the complete story of these beings, so i doubt it would be clear cut as to what we would call them. We would need to know their history of contact here, and their actual purpose (of course if they talked to us, they could just be lying), to say definitively whether they were something we should call angels or demons, or whatever else.
    I dont see why we would or would not, out of an actual necessity, say these evidenced beings were demons for example, so essentially it would be correct to say we could probably call them "x", and also correct to say we needn't call them "x" at all.

20. Arcadian Registered Member

I might do a nightmare...

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Now, fairies? Oh, I believe they exist.

22. Mazulu Banned Banned

Of course they do. They exist as dark matter, invisible matter. there are spiritual realms, the very kingdom of God, that exists as dark matter.

23. Balerion Banned Banned

Because there's no need. Your behavior here tells us all we need to know.

See, you seem to think you know what I believe, but for some reason it's not fair when I think I know what you believe. Yet another in a long line of double standards.

Like I said, the end of your faith in God would have meant an end in your belief in an afterlife. This ghost religion you now believe in keeps the possibility open. It's all the warm and mushy stuff from your former religion without the judgment.