Sounds of ghosts from abandoned insane asylum

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

Even in this hypothetical scenario, I sincerely doubt whatever unexplained phenomena we discovered would have any bearing on mythologies ancient or contemporary. We know what brought those about. Ghost stories aren't going to wind up being interpretations of actual paranormal events; they're all either hoaxes or misunderstandings of normal, everyday phenomena.

That's a completely baseless and, frankly, silly thing to assume. Now you're filling in the blanks with your expectations of this phenomena actually relating to ghosts or demons, or the existence of some "other side." Disabuse yourself of these notions.

Because officially classifying them as demons would be impossible, since we know demons are mythological beings. Of course, it's entirely possible that we might call it that, but only in the same way we call that cute marsupial from Tazmania the "devil."

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Us? We? Is there a turd in your pocket?

I didn't mention anything about what you believe. I don't really even care. I mentioned something you're doing--a strategy to make me look like less of a person for believing in the paranormal. That's action not belief. And like you said, we can definitely judge people by their actions.

Ooo yeah. An eternity stuck in some time loop haunting the place I suddenly died at. Where do I sign up! lol!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

Some ghost stories are a very specific message that there is something beyond our physical universe, something beyond death. No it's not a misunderstanding, it's not a lie, it's not a hallucination, it's a real message. You really have to be more human and more compassionate to understand the message. It's probably some phenomena of the dark matter.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

Anyone following along with this thread should have no problem seeing this. I'm not the only one who's chimed in on this.

Yes you did. You said I had an agenda. A motive.

And your actions are those of someone who is emotionally invested in their religion. Your religion just happens to be a modern one--the paranormal. It's not like I'm making this shit up; this is how you're behaving. Your double standards for evidence, your credulity--you're a deeply religious person.

It's apparent that's not what you believe.

8. Balerion Banned Banned

No, you just have to be a sucker. You have to be willing to surrender your mind to fantasy.

You should disabuse yourself of the notion that one has to be a moron to be compassionate. Actually, I know you don't actually believe it. This is just for show.

9. Mazulu Banned Banned

I have no idea what you're talking about, other than the fact that you are hateful and are selling me a line of bullshit. Your atheist views are bullshit. Based on the the amount of dark matter, I give 5 to 1 odds that atheism is misguided.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

And here comes the crybaby tantrum.

11. Mazulu Banned Banned

Dude... dark matter... There are probably dark matter entities living all around you now.

12. Balerion Banned Banned

Pure, baseless speculation. Wish-thinking. You want it to be true, so you pretend it is.

13. Mazulu Banned Banned

There is an after-life. and you don't want to recognize that fact. There is five times more dark matter than regular matter. You'll probably have to adjust your life accordingly. Try being a good person.

14. Balerion Banned Banned

What fact? There are no facts in that sentence.

What does that have to do with anything?

15. Mazulu Banned Banned

When facts are not available, hope will do. But those are not your ways. You worship facts, you care about nothing but hard cold facts. That doesn't make you better or stronger or wiser. It makes you scary.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

Not when hope requires you to surrender your intellect and your integrity. Not when hope entitles you to think you're better than those who don't share your views. You call us soulless, say we lack compassion, even humanity, and for what? Because we disagree with you. Not because we say you're stupid, or because we say we're superior to you. In fact, no one has said either of those things to you, to the best of my knowledge. For the simple act of disagreeing, you treat the rest of us like scum. Literally call us scum.

You behave like a terrible person.

Absolute nonsense. How does failing to believe in God mean we only care about "hard cold" facts?

I never said it did. My atheism is simply a lack of belief in any gods. It doesn't make me smarter than anyone.

Why? You'll never allow yourself to believe anything other than what you already believe. What threat could I possibly pose to you?

17. Mazulu Banned Banned

It was actually wegs and some of the Buddhists here who make me think that atheists can disagree with my point of view, but still be nice about it. I honestly think that there is an afterlife. Given that there is five times more dark matter than standard model matter, there is plenty of reason to believe that ethereal things exist. It's a free country and you can believe what you like, but at least be civil about it.

18. Balerion Banned Banned

Who do you think you're fooling? You owe everyone here an apology for your behavior. You're the rude one, not us.

19. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

i thought we were just supposing a hypothetical that some actual beings were evidenced. So basically are you saying that, if these things were to exist, and they fit pretty well into previous ideas about ghostly apparitions, we should not call them ghosts, or are you not talking about the hypothetical? The fact is, if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, people can call it a duck, and it really won't matter what you wish to call it.
    Regarding the non-hypothetical, i am very unimpressed by some people who recorded themselves making noise over every "ghost". These guys are literally recording balloon pops and long long silences, and none of the ghosts are in the silences? They have to have utter silence from everyone in the room as they do recordings for this purpose, and the ghosts are all in the parts where the recordists are moving things around or talking to each other?
    now you are just talking trash. Saying something is silly would actually require the opposing argument to be stated, so you need to explain how some being that resembled a demon or angel should never ever be called that, if said being were to exist. Otherwise, you are just flapping your gums (fingers).
    no, this is the silly thing to say here. If something exists, and it fits at all the concept of these mythical beings, then saying they are not the mythical beings is a wild stretch. For example, lets say an inter-dimensional being somehow did exist, and it caused people fear and distress, and it never quite maintained a corporeal form. If you don't think people would have been calling this a demon, all throughout history, that is an intense bias. And then let's say there is this thing that fits a vague description of demons, and we don't know their purpose, all they do is hang around and scare people - to say this is not a demon is like saying a giant dinosaur in loch ness isn't the loch ness monster. Obviously it may also be a particular species of dinosaur (if there ever was anything in the lake), but it would still be the loch ness monster as well. You have created an excellent shield against understanding if you believe that a unicorn that was discovered would be renamed and couldn't be a unicorn, because unicorns are mythical creatures. What is that?

20. Balerion Banned Banned

No, I said nothing of "beings." What would have been the point of supposing that ghosts were real? I was talking about actual unexplained phenomena, were they to ever occur, would have no relation to modern concepts of the paranormal.

It looks like we got our signals crossed.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hello Mazulu :wave: First, [just a point of clarification]--I’m not an atheist, rather I hold an agnostic view. Second…despite what we know about dark matter, why do you feel ‘’spirits’’ or ‘’ghosts’’ would consist of dark matter?

22. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

you have stories people tell about things they have made. Like i just posted, in this article you linked, there are some short clips (none of which happen to be during the many many many times these recordists would have been absolutely silent). I am not saying these things cannot exist, but this evidence wouldn't even hold up in court, much less in a lab. If you played that for a judge, and said, "this is my evidence that my ex-girlfriend is stalking me, this is where she is singing in my bathroom while i was walking in the door", they would not accept it as worth anything.
    i have yet to hear something that sounds convincing at all, and additionally, i could make you a ghost tape in ten minutes at my house. I understand you would like to say all these people wouldn't lie and have no reason to lie, but the guy who faked the famous bigfoot photo didn't really have any reason to lie did he? Anyway, i am not saying these beings, or something they are which fits a different explanation even better, don't exist, but you can't seriously expect someone to give ghosts credit, based on some recordings, unless there are decent recordings, which those clips are not. They are a bunch of noises posted by audio manipulation experts, and these experts would get fired from any job if they recorded anything for their work with talking and walking all over it.
    there are at least as many stories told by people about the miracles they experienced as there are ghost stories, not that the stories prove anything.
    they are whatever they resemble, if they exist, and for every person who sees a dead relative, there is a another person who saw an angel of death, or or an angelic being of light, instead. Ask mazulu. I sincerely hope you weren't knocking his alleged experience of seeing some spirit being, and then turning around saying these other spirit beings are seen thousands of times. That would just be too much.
    first of all it would have to be confirmation to be used as confirmation. Any proof of existence beyond death would be a quantum leap scientifically, and without knowing where these beings go when they aren't still hanging around here, we would definitely have at least a reason to think they MIGHT be moving on to some further resting place. I have yet to see proof of god, or proof of ghosts, or proof of people's philosophical ideology either.

23. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

haha, i thought we were discussing a point about semantics, and using the ghost as a thought experiment.
    well, i think they COULD, but i certainly won't say that they WOULD, i am certainly not going to argue that. The thing i don't understand is how you can say, if there were some phenomena, they couldn't have any relation to existing concepts, i mean how do you know that, or how do you define things in such a way as to avoid even a possibility of that?