Spam Patrol

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by spidergoat, Feb 9, 2010.

?

Should Spidergoat be permitted to delete spam?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2010.
  1. Yes.

47.8%
  2. No.

52.2%
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I really don't want to moderate again, but I would like to be able to delete the spam that shows up. Could I get mod powers back only to be able to delete spam threads?

I swear that would be the extent of my activity.

Thank you for your consideration.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you mean like the latest little fuck selling shoes or phones?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think it is technically possible.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

it would be a good idea. I don't know if its just me but their does seem to be an increase in spam thread to sell shit.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I was able to do so before, I think. While I was a mod. Or was that just in my subforum? I'm sure the computer Gods of sci can figure it out.

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

It would be great if we could all have that ability.

10. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I voted no. I completely agree with skaught, it would be great... but there would be problems with members abusing that power. But on another note, I think that we should leave it to the mods. If one doesn't want to moderate, then they should not be granted any additional powers. I think it's only fair because if we grant the power to one non-mod member, then others will want it as well.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it would include access to the moderator's sub-forum, so I can see the point of being wary about that.

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Any abuse of power would be short-lived and reversible.

spidergoat bans someone, say, or starts deleting posts he disagrees with. Do you really think that James or Plazma would allow that to happen indefinitely? Mods have abused their powers in the past (twice, since I've been here), and they were dealt with quite swiftly.

I'm for it, if it's possible. Maybe it would be possible to have a few people on spam patrol?

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Also, another though:

Maybe it's possible to give everyone the power to delete posts, once they have some number of posts (say, 2500). Then, if they abuse this power, they are banned for a long time (say, a month) and the power is revoked.

The idea is that we have a rolling spam guard: 24-7 supervision over spamemrs and bots.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

These spam guards would have to have access to all the subfora..
    I don't think it's necessary to have spam guards. The mods+admins are doing fine deleting the spam threads.

Edit: I might agree to one or two spam guards though, should there be a vote, depending on who were talking about. Spidey will do fine of course.

15. kira Valued Senior Member

I don't agree with this. What if somebody happens to delete everything (gone crazy)? Do you remember somebody who deleted everything he posted (and that's only the posts of his own), so it left lots of gaps and made people confuse?

I guess 1-2 people is enough. One is Spidergoat, and the other is possibly somebody else from different time zone, who have joined the forum for at least 5 years and have good track record.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

OK, how about anyone can press a special spam button, which hides the thread until a mod can delete it? Pressing it for anything other than obvious spam (not people who are just trying to sell their book or something), is an automatic one month ban.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think that should be a perma-ban. And I'm opposed to everyone with more than 2500 posts becoming a spam guard.
    If this gets the ok, the mod team + admins should select one or two trusted members.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Someone could press it accidently. And the threshold should be measured in time being a member, not number of posts.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm not talking about one thread being made invisible as the result of a screw up. I'm talking about a spam guard doing something other then deleting spam threads.
    A spam guard with mod abilities in all the subfora could do some serious damage if he/she wants. This problem will be limited, or practically ruled out, by hand-picking just one or two members for the job, instead of allowing anyone with more than a particular number of posts or member-years to become a spam guard.

20. kira Valued Senior Member

Why not Spidergoat and Asguard? They live in different time zones, online often, been members for over 5 years, and been mods before.

Look, their names also rhymes: Spider + Asguard = Spamguard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(sorry, this part is just joking)

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that's an opinion one that many members here would disagree with.

22. Try Again No, I'm not a mod. Registered Senior Member

I voted "Yes." because I feel bad for you.

23. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Like the song sez:

No !
    Nay !
    Never !
    No More !