Spirituality and Your Health

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by truestory, Dec 20, 1999.

1. Searcher Registered Senior Member

ISDAMan,

I'm sorry to have confused you with my analogy. I suppose I was making somewhat of a quantum leap here. You were talking about God healing his children, and you later clarified this by explaining that his children are the ones who who are playing his game and following his rules. Those who are not following his rules are impure, and your God doesn't stain himself with impurity.

I took that a bit farther and suggested, using the same logic, that if my son doesn't follow my rules, then I shouldn't take him to a doctor to be healed (following the example of your God). My point being that a mature and loving parent does take care of their child regardless of whether or not he's broken the rules. Discipline can come later - a parent should take care of their child when sick or hurt. Your God simply disowns his children when they are disobedient. How touching!

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

The answer was in direct correlation to the question posted by Flash below. It dealt with the selectivity of whom God makes Himself known to. There was nothing medical about it in my estimation. Such was my return.

<CENTER><TABLE><TR><TD WIDTH="500"><FONT SIZE="1">QUOTE:
    <HR><FONT SIZE="1">His children...you mean the ones who follow him? How is it if one does not believe that he would make himself known? There are some out here on this board who are searching for truth..if God/Jesus was the only way to truth..then why have they not made themselves known? Why is your God so selective in whom he chooses?<FONT><HR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

<HR><FONT SIZE="1">I'm sorry to have confused you with my analogy. I suppose I was making somewhat of a quantum leap here. You were talking about God healing his children, and you later clarified this by explaining that his children are the ones who who are playing his game and following his rules. Those who are not following his rules are impure, and your God doesn't stain himself with impurity.</FONT><HR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

O.K., that works for me. I think you have that part well enough to get by.

Your question:

<HR><FONT SIZE="1">So if my son gets sick, but he hasn't been a good boy, I shouldn't take him to the doctor because he didn't follow my rules? Is that how a loving (did I mention mature?) parent takes care of his/her children? </FONT><HR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

<HR><FONT SIZE="1">I took that a bit farther and suggested, using the same logic, that if my son doesn't follow my rules, then I shouldn't take him to a doctor to be healed (following the example of your God). My point being that a mature and loving parent does take care of their child regardless of whether or not he's broken the rules. Discipline can come later - a parent should take care of their child when sick or hurt. Your God simply disowns his children when they are disobedient. How touching!</FONT><HR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

Here's where you lose it. Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to take blood even when it is clear that death is imminent. Does that have any baring on the caring of the doctors? Not at all. They will respect the person's free will though in pain from having to watch the person die. Likewise, if you have a child that is out in the world living on his own and he becomes hooked on drugs, no matter how many times he comes within an inch of death, because of his habit, you can't force him to change. Moreover, if you take responsibility for the other aspects of his life, like where he'll live and get food from, he'll never get the help he needs. Proverbs 26:11 <FONT COLOR="BLUE">As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.</FONT> Proverbs also tells us that if you rescue a man who has not paid the price, you will have to rescue him again. Is it the uncaring parent that will let the child face their own choices? Do your children have dominion in your house? Do they tell you what they will and will not have? There is no choice for those not mature enough to make one. God does not hold them accountable. Likewise, in the example of the drug addict, there is one with choice. His choice may well take him to his death. Yet, the good parent, all the while calling him away from the wrong choice, will respect his free will to choose to go the other way. That parent will grieve no less in the child's death. God will grieve more! He has lost a child for eternity. I also suggest that you read the posts under the string "I belive".

truestory,

Wise as ever Sister!

Jesus can bring peace in every area of your life,
    ISDAMan

<FONT SIZE="1">Excerpted from The Complete Multimedia BibleKing James Version

Copyright (c) 1994 Compton's NewMedia, Inc.</FONT>

[This message has been edited by ISDAMan (edited December 23, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Searcher Registered Senior Member

ISDAMan,

I can partially agree with what you're saying. The image I have of your God is a rather harsh one, though.

No, my children don't have dominion in my house. Actually, one of my children has already moved out, and the other one will most likely move out once he graduates high school (in June). I love both of my children, regardless of the mistakes they've made (and they've both made plenty), or their rebellion against us (which they all grow out of before it's over). When my oldest son calls me on the phone, I don't hang up on him because he has disappointed me. When he got himself into trouble, my husband travelled the 1400 miles each way to get him and bring him back home (but not before he had paid the price for his mistakes, as you mentioned). But he isn't in bondage to us the rest of his life because we helped him. We won't disown him if he doesn't make all the choices we want him to make. I may have brought him into this world, but the gift of life I gave him freely - no strings attached. I will not cast him into a fiery pit or the outer darkness if he doesn't do what I want him to do! And if I found one of my children in a coma due to an overdose of drugs, for example, I wouldn't shrug my shoulders and say, "Oh well - it's too bad he didn't listen to me", and then walk away leaving him to die!

It seems to me your God is a bit too harsh and unforgiving. That's what I'm having a problem with. It doesn't give me that warm, fuzzy feeling to think of spending eternity worshipping a being who has no feelings of love or mercy in his soul.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flash Registered Senior Member

I agree with Searcher. ISDA, your god does seem harsh..and it is beyond me why you and others cannot see this.
    This reminds me so much of a grade school
    shi*... do as I want you to do or I won't be your friend...you won't be on MY TEAM..ect..

ISDAMan, I ask you this. What if someone came up to you and said that there was a spirit who is ALL loving- that what their concern is for truth to be revealed to you so you can grow and advance...this spirit did not request/demand praise or worship...no ego attached to this spirit...
    would you consider searching this out further?

8. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

Hay Flash,

What happened? Have you become a professional henchmen in my absence? I seem to see a lot of I agree with this person and I agree with that person. I'm just use to taking your blows. I miss 'em. Come on out with a zinger for old times sake.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To answer you question, why would I take up with the devil? Those are his same old lines he pumps into things like new age and self seaking. No worship = no focus. If you live, you can't escape worship. You are part of some kind of religion. Even Boris had to admit that.

In the twinkle of and eye,...
    ISDAMan

[This message has been edited by ISDAMan (edited December 24, 1999).]

9. Flash Registered Senior Member

ISDAMan,
    The devil????? LOL yeah, yeah, yeah...
    Being open to the Spirit of Truth
    brings about focus IF one is willing to reflect and receive the truth. There is nothing evil about that.
    The "I want...I need...I require..praise and
    worship...tell me how great of a "god" I am
    equals ego. It just can't get any clearer
    than that now...can it?!?!?!?!?

10. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Flash -

I'm with you here, too buddy.

ISDAMan - Satan belongs to the Christian pantheon. Perhaps this is news to you, but that's not all there is to it. There are several other pantheons of Gods and Goddesses that leave Satan out of it. I for one do not believe in your God, therefore I do not believe in your Satan. I cannot worship a being that I do not believe exists. YOU believe in Satan, not I.

11. truestory Registered Senior Member

Even dictionaries are clear on this:

There is a difference between God (with a capital "G") and a god or goddess (with a lowercase "g") in that the first (big "G") cannot be made plural while god or goddess (little "g") can be made plural.

In the case of God (big "G"), there is only "one", defined as "the" perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator (singular only) and "the" ruler of the universe (again, only one).

Those referred to as gods and goddesses are beings of supernatural powers or attributes believed in and worshipped by people; especially those thought to control some "part" of nature or reality or to personify some force or activity. They are those who are worshipped and idealized as "a" god (not "the" God).

We have been given a free will by God (big "G"), to either accept or reject God. However, God (big "G") is "the" God of us ALL, and it is God who has taught us that Satan does, in fact, exist.

Perhaps some, because they deny God, prefer to call Satan by another name... evil...??? It does not negate the fact that such an entity, spirit or energy exists in the world.

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited December 27, 1999).]

12. Flash Registered Senior Member

TS,
    Well...if one would be open and clear their mind...the Spirit of Truth would be very real to them. Also, I've said it a hundred
    times..truth is truth..no matter where the source comes from..be it a god or goddess..

13. truestory Registered Senior Member

Yes, Flash,

I have heard you say that many times... I find it interesting that you continue to go around criticizing others here (four months since I first came on board) and purporting to have found the truth, yet, you are still not ready to share your truth with us.

Do you believe your truth to be too difficult for us to understand? Or, have you bought into something that you do not yet really understand yourself and can't explain? Are you afraid that others might mock you? Is there a "revelation" date set or something? Are you waiting for a leader to give you the go-ahead to reveal your truth?

I am really curious, and to tell you the truth, I, for one, would rather not continue in such a one-sided debate. How about you?

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited December 28, 1999).]

14. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

True'-

Going back a bit to the capital vs. lowercase 'g':

My dictionary must be of a different edition than yours. Regarding "God" (capitalized), it says "in monotheistic religions..." then finishes up with something similar to your definition (the creator, the all-knowing, etc). I think that modifier is important.

I address my dieties sometimes, and when I do I call them by a variety of names. Sometimes it is simply "God and Goddess", in which case I am using "god" and "goddess" as names, in which case they should be capitalized. Other times I may address them as "god of the Sun and goddess of the Moon", at those times I am using "god" and "goddess" as descriptions, in which case they should not be capitalized.

My interpretation is that your Christian god, when being addressed as "God", that word is being used as a name. He is A god, to be addressed as God. At least that's the way I percieve it. You see him as THE god, but I don't see it that way.

Did I explain that clearly? I don't feel very sharp this morning, so I hope you can understand me today.

15. Flash Registered Senior Member

TS,
    No, not difficult to understand. One must have an open mind though..do away with all thoughts that would hinder one from being open.

No, no, no, no, no...

Afraid??? Naw, not me. Do I think they will? Some...especially christians..but, I guess Lori tends to think everyone will for the most part. However, Searcher and Skye
    might be a different story

Well TS, I wouldn't even know where or how to begin. There is A LOT to it. It's not that I am trying to avoid answering you..I just do not know where to begin. Make sense?

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited December 28, 1999).]

16. truestory Registered Senior Member

Well, Flash, if you don't know where to begin, then it sounds to me as if you might be lost. ???

By the way, I might disagree with you or ask questions, but I would not mock you in the process.

17. Flash Registered Senior Member

No, I'm not lost ...really I am not. I know it may appear to be that way...but what you have to realize is this has all happened over a period of time- so there is A LOT to it.
    BTW.. I appreciate that comment..let me add though..Lori hasn't mocked me either... I just know how a lot of christians get.

18. truestory Registered Senior Member

Yes, Flash, I know how a lot of Christians get mocked, too!

19. truestory Registered Senior Member

Skye,

What I am understanding is that you seem to be trying to turn gods and goddesses into something which they are not.

While this might bring you some comfort while here on earth, it will do nothing for your eternal salvation with God.

God (big "G") is "the" God, not "a" Christian God. The gods and goddesses which you choose to believe in are personified through genders. However, God is not a male or a female, God is "the" God of us ALL, whether we choose to deny God or not.

That God is "the" God of us ALL is a fact of life which we might choose to deny but a reality which we cannot change.

Peace be with you!

20. Flash Registered Senior Member

well...ouch

You got me there, TS.
    I know I have got carried away at times...and it's not that I am really mad at
    anyone...I just..well, to be honest..christianity leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...the whole thing really just
    gets my blood boiling.
    I'll try to watch myself next time

21. truestory Registered Senior Member

Flash,

Thanks, BUT... I did not mean to sting you!

To be clear, I was not referring to you?! It happens quite often, but I certainly don't spend any time keeping tabs on who has mocked me because I am a Christian...

There wouldn't be a book big enough to hold all the names... LOL!!!

22. Flash Registered Senior Member

TS,
    Ok...I have to respond to what you wrote to
    Skye.
    You say you have had your experiences in knowing that your God is The only one..ect...
    What about others who have had experiences that state otherwise? What if through theirs they have learned your God doesn't exist..not to mention his "son"? Now, who is right?

23. truestory Registered Senior Member

Flash,

I'm not quite sure where you are coming from and I will need more information in order to respond, so...

Can you give me an example of an experience which someone has had which taught them that God does not exist, please?