(split) Atheism and acceptance of science

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by S.A.M., Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) is without evidence or justification. 2) is meaningless; 3) is without evidence or justification; 4 ) is irrelevant 5) is simply ordinary fact; 6) contradicts 4 and 5, and is without evidence or justification.
    And we agree that such an argument is bootless, true?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Who is we?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

No, some of his statements are implied conclusions...not entirely how he *establishes* the incompatibility of science and atheism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You and me, the general public of reasoning.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Agreed...however the rest of the universe aside from this planet is inaccessible to observation.

Therefore we simply dont know how much life exists.

9. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I dont believe the general public has enough education in physics and biology to make that conclusion.

I certainly dont.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

can't be any more ridiculous than saying "things become alive".

i like to know what it is that leads to the conclusion that things become alive.
    there is no evidence at all, anywhere, that leads to that conclusion.
    every single time scientists have tried to prove this conclusion they fail.

11. Dub_ Strange loop Registered Senior Member

Why -- so you can dismiss it out of hand like you do every argument that contradicts your ill-conceived worldview?

I'm not letting you bait me into another facepalm festival. Take your trolling behavior somewhere else.

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Science doesnt say "things become alive".

It says livings things appear, as defined by thousands of molecules colluding into self-replicating organisms...by random chance.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

uh, WHAT???
    1000s of scientists the world over back up the claim "life comes from life"
    1000s of scientists the world over have never seen life coming from non life.
    so, it isn't just MY world veiw.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

correct. science says life comes from life.
    abiogenesis says that.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not by "random chance" alone. By processes such as evolutionary development, as well.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Evolutionary development has to start somewhere...thats what I was referring to.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Processes such as evolutionary development are a property of the inanimate as well as the animate world, and all gradations between. The concept of "random chance" is really difficult, full of pitfalls - one cannot have too much care.

Collins's argument is fatuous, really - an example of what a particular set of constraints or program of conditioning imposed on acceptable thinking can do to an otherwise first class mind.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you declaring that evolutionary "development" is a process?

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

If you're referring to childhood conditioning there was no religious element in his upbringing. He was an atheist throughout his university education in physics and medicine.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

No, evolutionary development is not applicable to inanimate matter.

Evolution requires a code of living replication...which is variable through mutation.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Yes, it is. All the Darwinian form requires is replication with variation and in a context of selective culling - clays do that, crystals do that, various other inanimate conglomerations of stuff do that, and they can evolve accordingly. (The Lamarckian form requires reactionary acquisition of features and selective culling. I can't think of any inanimate examples of that outside of computer setups, but there's nothing ruling them out of the "natural" world in theory).

That's not a "declaration", I hope. Of course it's a process.
    Not necessarily. And whether or not he was personally atheistic in his teens is irrelevant - I'm not asserting he was the source of the constraints and conditioning.

He has claimed to have been swayed by the arguments in "Mere Christianity", by CS Lewis, for instance. I have read that book, and if someone has been swayed by it they are accepting arguments and approaches that cripple reason in this matter.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How do you reach that conclusion? What makes evolutionary "development" a process?

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Clays and crystals are not life forms with a genetic code of replication...which is variable through mutation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.