Stability of the solar system

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by common_sense_seeker, Jun 11, 2009.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

This article Earth 'could collide with Mars' shows how the orbits of the small rocky planets could destabilise in the future life of the system.

Moderator comments
    common_sense_seeker's nonsensical conclusions deleted. To see the original post in its full form, see [thread=93696]this thread[/thread].

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well, I guess I won't be around to watch that ever happen, no need to worry about that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

This article pertains to the solar system being chaotic (in the sense of chaos theory). One of the scientists cited in the article, Dr Jacques Laskar, has been working on the issue of the long-term stability of the solar system for 20 years. Here is a preprint of a 2003 article he wrote on the subject: http://www.imcce.fr/Equipes/ASD/preprints/prep.2003/th2002_laskar.pdf

Wikipedia article on the same subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_of_the_Solar_System

Google search "chaos in the solar system" or "stability of the solar system" and you will find a lot more material on this subject.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

will our moon hit Mars before we do?

8. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I saw this item on the local news a couple of nights ago, and they had an amazing graphic anim of Earth being KO'd by Mars--but they said it wasn't going to happen for about 3 billion years (certainly not next July, anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

9. LifeinTechnicolor Registered Senior Member

lol... how can we collide? we r on a orbiting path. unless a force so mass could push us..

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Have you read and understood the links. Over the very long term the solar system is not stable. Orbits can change. It happens to small bodies all the time, easily and frequently. Simulations suggest it can happen to the planets as well.

11. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Moderator comments

I moved the bulk of common_sense_seeker's "Earth 'could collide with Mars'" thread to pseudoscience. The sensical remainder remains here.

12. rich68 Registered Senior Member

the threat is more of our local galaxies..ie andromerdia..which is already on a collison cause with the milky way...i reckon this alone would destabilise the solar system.now thats what i call a plantery mix.

13. MikeBeer Registered Member

Actually, it wouldn't be surprising if there were no stellar collisions at all. Our solar system, being as small as it is, may be lucky enough to pass through without much hindrance. The sky would look pretty cool; nonetheless, I'm glad I won't be around.

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  15. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

depends if it happens at night or not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!