star wars books.......

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by dexter, May 16, 2000.

1. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i have been reading the star wars books for a few years now, and i feel that they pute star wars into a new persspective, it is no longer a few block buster movies, but a whole new civilization that we have created!
    but i would like to elaborate on the new books "the new jedi order" because i feel that they are really good, they take place about 23years after return of the jedi, and the new republic is just starting the new government. and a new race of extergalactic beings has jsut come in to the galexie, in hope to concqure. they do not use technonlogy as we know it, but reather living creatures.
    and the point of this post was to ask if anyone had read the books and wanted to swap info on teh next one, or snymore info on other stuff!!!

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages.

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Actually, I'm impressed that people still read. These days all most people seem to want is soundbites and rapid images. I have a friend who claims to be a really big fan of the X-Men, but has never read the novels. He's never read a newspaper. What's truly pitiful is that he is 28 and living on his own (somehow). When the Lovebug hit, he was blissfully unaware that anything had happened. When we enlightened him on the matter, he freaked out because he had been opening all kinds of e-mail. Oh well. Even people who read comic books are still reading.

I have only read the novels based off of the first three movies, I'm afraid. I started to read "Han Solo At Star's End" and "Splinter In The Mind's Eye", but my brother helped himself to both of them and never returned them. They are now lost to the ages. Have you read them? Maybe you can summarize them for me?

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited May 16, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i have read a splinter in the minds eye,
    it is more spiritual and mythical than i wouldve prefered, but it was still good.
    " luke and leiaare traveling to a planet to sing them on to the rebellion when there ships experience electrical damage and crash (they are both in snub fighters)
    on the planet they run into a small imperial mining colonie and try to blend in woith the locals, there they meet a half trained jedi, who performs bar tricks with the force.... then they set off to find a rock that magnafies the force's power.
    they set off in a veicale (the planet is a jungle like endor). there veicle crashes and is attacked by soime ruthless killing snake thing, so luke and leia are forced underground were they have to cross a hiuge underground lake, wich takes them to a subterranian (dont u love my vocabulary?) colonie were luke fights the cheif and wins. then the storm troopers come in, the subterranian culture helps luke and leia, they face darth vader, who is also trying to get his hands on the rock, they duke it out with a lightsaber, its a 75/50 win with darth vader at the top, then it basically ends.

that is all i got that i wanna type, i read the book about 3 years ago so i wasnt able to indulge on everything. but if u would like to call me about it u can from like 4:30 to 7:00 pacific time (i live in california) and my number is (i will e-mail it too u if u ask.) now if u go and start prank calling me i will be pretty damn mad!!!! and so will my parents, and i know i shouldnt pute this on the posting bored but i enjoy u and i truest that u will take care of this privelege.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dexter (edited May 16, 2000).]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

dexter -

Aren't books great? I haven't read any of the Star Wars ones, I'm more of a Trek fan myself, and have read more Star Trek Novels than you'd probably believe. But I agree with you that they change the context of the series. If you like Trek, I'd be happy to recommend a few for ya

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As far as Star Wars, a friend of mine (and EXCELLENT source of book suggestions) said that the 'Heir to the Empire' series was very, very good. The author is Timothy Zahn, if I remember correctly.

FyreStar

8. Adlerian Registered Senior Member

I read a book once.

9. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i know, i ahve read heir to the empire, some of my favorite books ever, introduces some great charachters!(spelling?), and the plot is great... they are also the first ones to be written after the movies, and for anyone out there that would.... the han solo trilogy is great if you are wonderiing about his past!!!

------------------

10. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Somewhere buried in my closet are a bunch of mylar wrapped Star Wars Comics that Marvel put out. Numbers 1 through 50, good to mint condition, as well as complete, mint sets of the blue, red, yellow, and green bordered trading cards (with all stickers, but the chewing gun is long gone). I should dig them up and put them on e-Bay, huh? (I just remembered, I've also got the original Taco Bell glasses, the action figures, and all of the larger dolls except for IG-88. I could be sitting on a gold mine! They're not getting my stuffed Chewbacca, though!)

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I hate re-reading my posts so long after I've posted them.

CHEWING GUM! CHEWING GUM!

This is just to let everyone know that the NRA didn't package the trading cards.