Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I so want to see Emperor Palpatine on a spice-bender. Now THAT would be messed up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I've read all Frank's Dune books, and Harkonnen Blood, which was essentially Frank's son and friend raping his father's corpse for some cash. As if the Dune franchise wasn't already lucrative enough.

I was wondering if you saw the movie. Cause I think they have made movies all the way up to Children of Dune.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Yeah I've read all the Dune books, even Brians. They are not nearly as good as Franks and I've heard rumors that he and Anderson are going to fork the 7th book all up. Who knows.

As for the movies I've only seen the original Dune and the remake. Not Children of Dune.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Suicidalcarrot15 Registered Member

I like the Star Wars universe best of those listed... but where are the COMICBOOK universes (universi?)

What about the Marvel Universe?
    With Spidey, and The Hulk, and the Fantastic Four, and the X-MEN, and Alpha Flight and daredevil... and all the others that I love dearly???? What about Marvel???

If that was an option that's what I would choose. Really. I would. I'm a huge comic book geek, and so incredibly, absolutely proud!

8. Roman Banned Banned

Comic books aren't defnitive. Superheros have whatever powers writers give them, and they're often contradictory.
    And ludicrous.
    So yes, the Marvel universe would probably win because there are no universal, physcial laws in it.

9. Suicidalcarrot15 Registered Member

good point. Then I'll say Staw Wars. Because I love it! Although I do not like episodes one and two. They aren't as good as the older movies.

I know the effects are better, but still, something is lost.

10. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Okay, I've got Dune Messiah, but I STILL CAN'T FIND GOD EMPEROR. Which I'm sure is better.

As a rebuttal to Suicidalcarrot15, this thread is for which universe would WIN in a multiversal war. Not which universe you like.

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

True... but much of the psudo-science behind Star Wars, or even Star Trek, is equally ludicrous.

I agree, though, that superhero continuity is far more tenuous than anything in sci-fi TV or movies. One advantage the Marvel or DC comics universes have is that they are practically overcrowded with deities and cosmic superbeings, and more seem to be invented every year... maybe even enough to more than a match for the Q continuum!

12. Roman Banned Banned

Oh, agreed, agreed. I'm just saying that the more ludicrous your pseudo-science, the better chance you have of winning. My bet would be on Star Wars, simply because their universe lacks energy requirements. And if we brought in DC or Marvel, my money would be on them, since they don't even use science.
    And if we brought in Hinduism, or Christianity....
    "Yeah, my money's on Yahweh."
    "Is that OT Yahweh, or NT?"
    "Uhhh.... NT."
    "In that case, Shiva the Destroyer would totally kick JC's ass."

13. ErnestManigojr Registered Member

ACTUALLY, you're all wrong! Once Star Trek is introduced into the fray, all the other mediums wills would bend to star trek's. The fact is, the comic realm would become a comic realm in the star trek realm, the star wars realm would only encompass a small area of space and the Borg would assimulate it and destroy it. and the Q continum would be the equilizer, making everything adjust to the Star Trek's standards! This will be so because Star trek base most of it's things on real science and theory!

STAR TREK RULES!!

14. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Chalk up another one to not reading through what has already been posted... :ugh:

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

OpteronGuy:
    Some people aren't going to read this entire thread (It is nearing 100 pages now).

Just look at this as an opportunity to crush another trekkie under your boot. Or shoe. Or high heels (If you're that kind of internet person).

16. ErnestManigojr Registered Member

I can't read it all. But My comments only apply to the stats that show Star wars in the lead, and to everyone that picked something other than Star Trek. I just threw my hat into the ring on my opinion of Star Trek. So calm down!

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Real science??

Like the magical space-bending material "verterium cortenide" which is supposed to comprise starship warp coils? Or the endless supply of antimatter used in warp cores, with no explanation as to where it is mined or gathered?

Not to mention the impossible information processing and transmission content involved in the official description of the transporter process. Or the endless and ubiquitous repitition of tech-sounding key words like phase - interphase, multiphase, metaphase, phase inducers etc. in Star Trek: TNG. By the time Voyager was halfway through its run, phase had given way to the all-purpose morpheme iso: isomorph, isomagnetic, iso-structure, isotons... need I go on?

After all that, though, I agree with your concluding statement. All its flaws and bad episodes notwithstanding: Star Trek most definitely rules!!

18. mountainhare Banned Banned

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

19. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Yeah yeah I know. It just gets old.

Also I wear shoes and boots. No high heels. Do you wear heels?!

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Go Spaceballs! Go!!

I should be working on my political science paper......

I need some caffeine.....

21. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Welcome to our merry band of nerds ErnestManigojr, where we actually are so jobless as to argue over a pointless debate topic (we might as well have chosen something like: God; real or illusion?) for 25 pages !!! I love this place.

introductions apart; back to the argument.
    Unlike our dear ErnestManigojr, I actually took the time to read all the posts on this thread when I joined this site. It was already on it's 19th page. Which proves I am dedicated ! (or jobless, your choice...)
    Anyway somewhere within that 25 pages of Stuff, we outlawed the Q. Mainly because it has NO BASIS IN SCIENCE AT ALL. There is ALWAYS somebody who pops every every second page to scream something like:

Hey, Star Trek will kick butt because of one word: Q !!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA !

I can only hope you aren't one of them.

22. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

What does the Spaceballs universe have going for it in this metaphysical contest, anyway? Apart from toxic pizza sauce and lethal lunacy...

23. ErnestManigojr Registered Member

The "Q" concept is a scientific assumption. Any intelligent thinker would ponder about the mystery of omnipotence. Whether you are athiest, agnostic, or religious, the thoughts are there to durive your reasoning of it. Therefore, in creating a fantasy world as real as possible, this element would only further help cover that area. The "Q" concept is unique because it kinda reflects how some of us question why would "God" be so fascinated in us, and why doesn't "God" interfere, or prevent bad things from happening, etc.
    They humanize "Q" liken to a flesh version of a "God" to relate to us. Similar to Christ in Christian faith. But of course, its a show, so there adventure and edge that keeps us watching.

Yes, I am a trekkie, but it's borders beyond that fact that STAR TREK simply RULES, whether I read the entire thread or not! And I do have a very good Day Job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.