Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Q wasnt realy part of the Trek "universe" as the federation, Klingons etc understood it. Qs live in another continum outside ordinary space + time.. just as the diferent universes in the poll for this thread are not part of the same space +or time as each other.

You should leave Qs out like Kron said - so I say Star wars would win

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Qs were insane trekki geeks who found their way inside the show.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

This thread started May 2002, and it's still alive. It will have a 3 year aniversary shortly. What a milestone... what a popular run! What a supurb example of boredom and zealousy for made up stories!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

The Q are a plot device to bail the enterprise out of outrageous danger. Deus ex Machina, you know?

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Deus ex...
    What is latin for anal cavity?

9. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that Q consistently got the Enterprise crew into danger, not out... he put them on trial for the crimes of humanity, introduced them to the Borg, sent them to Sherwood Forest to get shot at as outlaws, and finally intoduced a temporal anomaly which could have wiped ou the whole human race..

10. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Great idea, jennyRater !!! I never thought of the fact that Q aren't IN the trekkie universe !!!
    Finally we can outlaw the Q without having to resort to some excuse like "they're too powerfull!..."

Anyway ErnestManigijr, I am a fan of the great and deep universe created by Frank Herbert (who I would worship like Jesus Christ if I wasn't an athiest.).

11. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Ive never read the Dune books - are the movie + tv versions good enough to do them justice or get a sense of the depth your talking about, Kron?

12. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Not in the least. The books are FAR better than any of the movies.

13. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Especially in Dune, you can NEVER get anything in the movies that is close to the books.
    In books, you can read a character's thought process. Dune takes this to the extreme.
    For example, in Children of Dune the first 7 pages is a great soliloquy of Stilgar's thoughts in his head.

14. Roman Banned Banned

The books do a far better job showing the level of political and personal prowess the Bene Gessarit have. In the books, the layers of intrigue are subtle and dangerous. The movies, not so much. It all had to be dramatized.

15. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

sounds a bit boring to be honest.. though I supose you cant make a character seem any more real than that!

16. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Staying in touch with the storyline is hard that way. I have a cousin 3 years older than me who never got past the 5th page. It takes effort and dedication to read the later Dune books. But the effort pays of infinitesemally.

The Dune series is the GREATEST series of books I have ever read in my short life.

17. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

infinitesemally.. dont you mean 'infinitely' or 'imensely'?

18. psikeyhackr Live Long and Suffer Valued Senior Member

This isn't a thread, it's a ROPE! Going on 3 YEARS!

I am a science fiction fan going back to 1961. That's right, 5 years before STAR TREK.

I am not a Trekkie or a Trekker, but STAR TREK beats all the choces available.

STAR WARS is so intellectually shallow Darth Vader could drown in a petri dish. STAR WARS is not science fiction, it is SPACE OPERA. It is on the same level as Flash Gordon.

The best Trek is DEEP SPACE 9 but BABYLON 5 is BETTER.

Vorlons are Vulcans on Zen.

Once the avalanche has started it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

19. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Have you voted on my other "Which universe would win" poll?

Vorlons don't remind me much of Vulcans - in fact, they're far more believably alien.

20. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

By infinitesemally, I mean infinitely immense. And Starthane, your thread died a while ago. Which brings us to the question of how the heck did this thread survive for 3 years while others that are based on the same concept kicked their puny little legs in the air and died?

21. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Its probably kept going cause the same people keep coming back.. its a playground they dont want to leave.

reviving another thread with diferent voting options isnt so wrong.

22. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Then why don't we play in the playground?!!! C'mon, there's no one to preach Dune to. That was the reason I joined here anyway. (I think I mentioned it somewhere within this thread)

23. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Is your avatar the head of a Dune sandworm..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.