Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

on phasers set to kill,
    it should be noted that phaser often kill without even leaving a mark. no damage visible to cloth or tissue. the person's torso glows and then he/she is just cold dead. maybe this some form of EM shock or radiation poisoning. maybe a kind of harm that would not affect dead objects.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

So tell me, if you had to fight with trek tech and your own life depended on it and you were in charge of dreaming up and running 3 independent transporter systems for an upcoming ground battle and you had unlimited trek resources and personnel to build and operate them, you're telling me you'd fail drastically? And please don't throw any other scenario bullshit into it, Im not interested, I am only interested in 3 concepts for using a transporter against an enemy in battle. You're welcome to use any technology to support the systems. Consider this a test to see how clever you are, cuzz so far you've only come up with ways of making a system NOT work.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Well if Han Solo knew damage would create a blind spot, or had a means of detecting one, I could see there being that argument, and I didnt see any of that mentioned. He acted like he knew there was a blind spot there, and just flipped a U-turn and went and parked on it like he'd done it or seen it done before.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

somehow i think it would work against materials vulnerable to stone age weapons...

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

an interesting idea i played with myself from time to time.
    it depends on the nature of your weapon. if the weapon creates the black hole (in whateer maner) then the only deffense is to block the attack altogether (eighter by manoevering or shielding). if the weapon fires miniature black holes then i would depend on the size of those. small black holes are not that far fetched though. the key issue with those is their life time. being small they should tend to violently explode/eveporate after very small time intervals. against normal matter they would retain their armor piercing properties but in aspect of energy dispersal and interaction with EM forces and force fields of other natures they are no different then a very highly accelerated/energized/massive particle beam.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i think it is safe to say that the higher the atom weight the less vulnerable the material is to phaser fire.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not just light metals. to a degree all metals.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

energy ablative plastic would be of little use untill at least some of it "ablates", making it allmost useless in personal armour.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not if the weapon attacks the weak nuclear bonds or carries away the energy in some other maner.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

he said atomise thus attacking the nuclear bonds not the molecular.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

that much is true and in essence this is how the ablative armour works

15. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

In all of this argument about one vs another, has anyone mentioned that some of the stuff in movies is as it was made for entertainment, NOT to be scrutinized for every possible detail in favor or against every ship and weapon, even the people who are operating them? Even some stuff that is SUPPOSED to be written or designed with certain specs couldn't be properly represented because of a lack of special effects ability, or a budget that didnt support accurately presenting the effect. Like, who's ever seen what dematerializing somebody REALLY looks like? Hell, Im surprised somebody isn't arguing that 'visually, romulan and klingon transporters are different so they work differently.. or like somebody mentioned, a phaser setting that doesnt effect clothes... how do we know this is by design and not by small budget/lack of wardrobe to put burn marks in, etc? My point: Every detail of these SW and ST designs cannot be accurately translated into a film with zero flaws... and I think its going a bit far to grab a screen cap and say "Well explain this!" cuzz my explanation would be, "its NOT REAL, its the result of an attempt to create an effect that nobody intended to have questioned for its authenticity and believability."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Are these LIKE Adobe After Effects works or is there actually something that could harm one of the actors? Not that it matters, but I submit that some of what occurs in weapons battles is they miss or hit specific things because its safer and like, how likely (if we scrutinize every detail) would Leia be able to turn away from a blast? Not very.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not to close but close enough, especially sinse you'd need exact lock + the constant feedback with the transporter. general coordinates will not help if the transporter is in other ways "blind".

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

those figures seam pretty arbitrary to me. i can't really remember a movie or an episode where there is a direct corelation of impulse fractions and km/h or km/s. any links or refferences would help. it was always my impression that larger vessels were way slower on impulse (E-D VS Hathaway). the relativistic velocities you propose look more like micro warp jumps to me.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. you need mechs cause they provide speed, survivability and power generation infantry can't provide.

2. you need transports cause transporters leaves your ship vulnerable to attack. besides during amhibious attacks your battleships and cruisers should provide cover and supressive fire not be bound to deploying troops. and there are always the enviorenemntal factors that may prevent beaming.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i'd conceal the transporters you mention and use isolinear tags and signal ampifiers + some subspace remotes to beam my own guerillas and saboteours in and out of holstile theritory. maybe set up some relay points to get a better line of sight. anyways i would not waste them on enemy troops directly. that is why phasers/disruptors are for.

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the thing is Scott claims that the ISD in question is the one that got smacked by an asteroid and everyone else here claims it is not so sinse that ship got her tower sent to the afterlife.

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

we KNOW it is the budget and/or plot that makes all this thingies look senseless but it is the only thing we got. visuals. otherwise we are forced (and there is nothing to stop us) to make up any theory or hypothesys we want.

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I had another cool idea for a good weapon.

I call it the oscillating phaser.

I got the idea off of how watches work, modern watches have a small piece of quartz that when in a vacum oscillates 33,000 times a second. And a little counter that everytime it hits 33,000 it adds one more second.

So what if you had a phaser thats oscillates tens of thousands of times through a frequency when it is fired, assuming a phaser is active for maybe one second, at some point some part of the phaser will hit the right frequency of the enemies shields and will penetrate and do direct damage to the hull.

This would also work very well with the borg.

23. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I believe DATA or & Of Nine already invented that while fighting the Borg I maybe wrong but I recall a simlar device was used for the Borg cube and the Drones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.