Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, thalaron radiation would penetrate SW shields just fine... considering it could penetrate a PLANET and affect everything on the other side.

And I can't help but notice you trying to remove items you simply have no counter for... how quaint... and predictable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

what about these ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And for hand to hand combat or shootouts...

Pretty straight forward... no miss, and bullseye accuracy, and possibly increase effective projectile range.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

er, what are they?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

To be fair though, that was via a chain reaction. It wasn't because of the phaser alone.

Hell no. Yeah, they work for a few first times, but they then have a nasty tendency to turn around and fuck you over. And really, ST aim is fairly good all things considering. You'd just be giving the SW side a major advantage.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno if it was just the chain reaction - there's an episode of TOS where Scotty says the Enterprise could burn away the atmosphere of a planet in a few minutes.

9. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

You're right. You must really know your DS9. Apparently I don't because I watched that episode and scanned through it and there was no dart board scene in it. I remember a scene where O'Brian & Bashir were playing darts and somebody was hitting bulls eyes over and over. Maybe Im getting episodes mixed up, which is understandable - since its one of my least favorites and I didn't watch as much.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  10. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

Im sure someone on Remus knew how to make thaleron devices,and why should anything be left out?

11. Waffen9999 Registered Member

I don't even think it was the Remans who made the Thalaron generator. They were nothing more than 3rd class citizens to the Romulans. The Romulans would have been the ones who invented it and I find it hard to believe the scientists who devised it would be on board the Scimitar since the only people on board it that were ever seen were Remans and Shinzon.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well, would you leave any of your compatriots in a place where they could be later captured and interrogated for information on how to block your super-weapon?

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Of course! I mean, hell, considering that nobody knows WHO invented it or WHERE they were, it would be a hell of a lot safer than on the warship about to go take on an entire CIVILIZATION on it's own...

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

yah, how would the SW universe figure out what they are and how they work, especially because there would be no survives.

Hell, SW probly wouldnt have any idea how it worked, they probly dont even know what thaleron radiation is.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well considering that it was considered a common type of radiation (just in an uncommonly high level) more than likely it would not Penetrate Energy or Particle shielding. Also consider the fact that the realitvely weak and porous shields of ST were considered proof against this type of radiation.

Assuming that any type of radiation is going to pierce shieldig that is designed to protect a vessel is quite ridiculous.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starters ST shielding is far more dificult to penetrate than star wars. Ill go into that later.

Thaloran is not a common kind of radiation and we all know it. Otherwise we would see ash people all the time.

Also, how and in what way are ST shields "porous"

First off because of multiple shield emitters each generator only takes care of a certain part of the ship, so when one shield goes down, the ship merely turns and the other shield will take the brunt of the damage. SW does not do that.

Plus SW still uses lasers, now the only reason lasers would be effective is in WH40k where there are the kinds of power systems to make the lasers powerful enough to do damage. And those ships are several kilometers in size. ISD's arent

Plus, the SW ships are powered by fusion reactors, even the ISD's.

Last time I checked a warp core is far superior to a fusion reaction.
    A warp core can produce upwards of 4,000 teradynes per second.
    And it is stated that the warp core on a galaxy class starship can hit around 12.75 billion gigawatts of energy, which is around 12 ish exowatts.

And the power source used by the Romulans used a forced quantum singularity around 1 cm in diameter that produced 4 terawatts of power a pop.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  17. icarus2 Registered Senior Member

I prefer to the Star trek

18. icarus2 Registered Senior Member

I have not seen the spaceballs.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Fedr, don't argue with Scott- he'll hide away until those that disprove his "wank crap" are gone and then come to spew it again... he's like a Jehova's Witness - they just dont' give up, but they're NEVER right...

20. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i apologise for being absent so long and i won't be able to participate for quite some time, but i have this question (just as a matter of opinion), for all ST sages, how would you compare the Galaxy (TNG,DS9 and Venture) class to the Sovereign (FC,Nemesis) class in different aspects of combat application? i got motivated for the question by stumbling upon this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=16715&page=114

thanx guys

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So... much drama in that thread... ugh!

The Sovereign is a dedicated battlecruiser, simple as that. She has the BEST guns, shields, and torpedoes starfleet could throw on a boat, then they added more just for good measure.

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yeah i know, i didn't had time to join the thread yet, not to mention reply, but i am reading it for the past 5 days and i'm up to page 125 now. it seams there is a 3-4 dudes party there that are of the opinion they have figured how to establish the power discharges of a phaser array. it seamed to make sense in the beginning but as i read on i find it more and more fishy (this is the part that claims GCS has more raw power when combat is at stake). i thought i should point it out as an inspirational discussion of the nature of star fleet ship design. there are lots of creative ideas there from tech to ship level interpretation, presentation and facts. we could use some of that here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.