StarGate SG1 canceled

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 23, 2006.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I know Stargate hasn't been the same without good old Jack. But I was sad to hear it's not been renewed for next year:
    But perhaps there's a ray of hope:
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6364450.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

For the last 5 years this show has been getting cancelled and every single time they renew it. I don't think this time around its any different.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Really, I didn't know that. So you think this is a marketing move similar to when they replaced coke with new coke?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

It sounds like you believed that it was getting cancelled. The market move about replacing coke with new coke is like starting Stargate Atlantis. I think the plot is still good and like all the other times they will think of a way to keep it on because there are just too many fans.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Same thing happened to Farscape and Babylon Five. Unfortunately they both were canceled eventually, and neither of them ran nine years. Oh what joy that would have been.

9. sderenzi Banned Banned

FarScape kinda felt pointless to me in the end. So basically this guy runs around another part of the universe an meets unusual aliens, ehh.. it seemed to me they wanted all that drama going on, they could easily have not had so many problems, space is big

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Babylon 5? They are all in a station so that's different. Didn't you ever hear the creator say he'd only planned a certain number of seasons because it was written as a saga

He didn't want there to be endless episodes, he accomplished his goals.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Watching todays episode, I noticed that the symbol for the evil Ori is quite similiar to the symbol of Islam. Islam is a crescent with a star, the Ori use a crescent with a diamond. Also, the "Orici" looks kind of arabic or Persian.

Apparently, the evil Ori are Islamofascists from Space!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Their rhetoric sounds a lot more like Christianity to me.

12. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Sorry peeps, but I think Stargate blows.

13. Vega Banned Banned

SG-1 is starting to lose momentum! I just watched episode"1006" and I think the "trust" is complicating the whole search for merlins secret weapon!.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I still enjoy Stargate, but I don't like the whole "find the alien weapon" solution to every problem. I really enjoyed the early episodes, where strategy and good old fashioned M16's were used to solve most problems.

I remember the episode where some alien was trying to convince SG1 of the superiority of alien weapons. The alien said
    "Our gun stuns with one shot, and kills with two"'​
    Jack said:
    "Our guns kill with one shot!"​

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Pierre Bernard on his "Recliner of Rage" segment on Conan O'Brian, demanded SG1 not be cancelled tonight.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, that should take care of that problem.

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

He got on the show once before. I think he can keep the show on the air.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Who is he, anyway?

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

20. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

hahahahaha. Dude, you just described SG-1. Fortunately, in Farscape there was actually a plot line with an ending... Unfortunately for SG-1, for the past 200 episodes they've ran around the universe, walking into "Ancient Alien Technology" in nearly every single episode, and when the "threat to the human race" has been delt with, another one pops up thats EVEN STRONGER!!! RAWR!. The plot to it is essentially... meet aliens that want to kill them and then destroy them first.

the new BSG is by far the best scifi series made in a long time, with farscape a close second and SG1 somewhere near 10.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes! Farscape was well plotted. And well crafted, so they were able to bring the series to a conclusion when the contract ran out. I thought the ending of Babylon Five was a little clunky. And Earth Final Conflict... I never had the faintest idea what was happening on that show after about the second season. My wife thought it was in a league with B5, Farscape and Star Trek TNG, but for all I could tell it might as well have been in Estonian.

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

BSG blows it out of the water, yes.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Agree. Stargate is just fun. It's like a B-movie. Not meant to be taken seriously. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining. For instance, I loved the "groundhog day" episode where Teal'k started each day getting hit in the face with a door.