Starting a Sports Forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by certified psycho, Feb 15, 2004.

?

A possible sports forum, vote........

Poll closed Feb 23, 2004.
  1. Yes

20.8%
  2. No

79.2%
  1. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Would it be possible to start a sports forum. I mean there are so many differet types of forums in this site, so wouldn't it great to start one. So vote yes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

No..hell no....the stupidity of professional sports invades every facet of life so let this place be clear of such things.

I vote NO

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

look just because you don't like sports doesn't mean you have to attack it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

This is coming from someone who bashes other peoples musical tastes. I am not bashing sports per se. You asked whether there should be a sports forum and I say NO...it doesn't belong here.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I used to like the idea, but have since decided that it wouldn't fit well with the rest of sciforums.

Also -- its not a good idea to add any many new forums. We should let the existing ones grow first.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It just doesn't fit with the rest of the site, in my opinion, and I'm sure there are some very good sports forums elsewhere.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I voted no, because it has absolutely nothing to do with science.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please ... no.

(1) We already have a tough enough time with posting standards.
    (2) Sports can be reasonably covered in other fora: Religion, Biology & Genetics, Human Science, Science & Society, General Science & Technology, EM&J, Politics, History, Economics, Art & Culture, and Free Thoughts--if we need the box scores, there's always Sportscenter.

The "daily chatter" of sports is even more potentially detrimental to our community than the "daily chatter" of politics and religion. I once heard sports radio in Seattle spend two hours arguing about a fistfight in NASCAR. By the end, the hosts were mocking a guy for spending his evening watching four hours of videotaped car racing. (In the United States, just as a reminder, auto racing is best described by a classic bumper sticker I used to see around Spanaway Speedway: Go fast ... turn left.) A seventy year-old woman called in to harangue the hosts about civil rights; their bashing of NASCAR and its fans was tantamount to the plight of dark skin in America--that's right, she compared a joke about NASCAR to racism.

I hate sports radio. I despise sports bars. Please, please ... no on the Sports Forum. I just spent a year without ESPN and FSN droning in my ear all night every night. The world almost seems normal again, but it's a long road to recovery.

A Sports Forum ... oh, please, no.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  12. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Whatever you say people

13. Undecided Banned Banned

I always felt that discussing sports is truly modern man's opium. We don't need it here...

14. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

It warms my heart that this motion is so poorly supported.

15. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

It feels like a spear through my heart, seeing this motion so poorly supported. Ack, who am I am kidding, talking sports with a bunch of nerds, and pseudointellectuals? I'd rather drink budweiser with a bunch of abercrombie wearing punks. On second thought....

16. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

thefountainhed lets drink beer and talk about sports.....

17. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

It's SCIforums, for Pete's sake.

18. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Okay i get. FOr Pete's Sake

19. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

aww i feel bad for this motion. it was a very good idea. probably not the best place to make it. but a better idea than others.

20. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I don't come here for sports, but I think it would have been hysterical to read the thoughts on various sports posted by some of the geeks around here.

I can see it now:

nico: Technically, the CFL Grey Cup winner could beat the Super Bowl champion.

Everyone else with a brain: Sure nico, why don't you bet your entire checking account against the Patriots. Good luck!

21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

When people start to try to talk to me about football, basketball, or baseball, I'll change the subject to bicycle racing, and ask then if they caught the Paris-Roubaix, or if they think Lance can take both the yellow jersey and the polka dot jersey in this years Tour De France.

Shuts em right up.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  22. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

The question is whether or not Ulrich's move back to his old team will prove to be a wise move or not. I have tremendous respect for both riders. Watching Lance move to that surreal "next gear" that he shows on the mountain stages is one of the most spine chilling things in all of sport for one that appreciates the difficulty involved in such a feat. He's a freak of nature.

23. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Who'd want to talk sports with this bunch?