State Of The Earth

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wet1, Aug 20, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

This message came in my e-mails today and I think it is worth reading it. I will not comment on it right now. Just read it.

Be assured I will get back to this.

STATE OF THE EARTH (More Good News)

Recently there was an announcement in the news that 49% of the 48 contiguous United States was in a drought condition. There has also been talk of water shortages, polluted water supplies, and the possible future privatization of water.

My state California has had the least rainfall this year since
    the start of rainfall records and conservation policies are
    now in effect.

After that announcement another one stated that about 30% of the food available to ocean fish has disappeared and that if the
    present rate of decline continues, the fish are in real trouble,
    and so are we!

From the United Nations Environmental Programme...

"Most Recent State of the Earth Report
    from the United Nations Environment Programme

"From a global perspective the environment has continued to degrade during the past decade, and significant environmental problems remain deeply
    embedded in the socio-economic fabric of nations in all regions. Progress towards a global sustainable future is just too slow. A sense of urgency is
    lacking. Internationally and nationally, the funds and political will are insufficient to halt further global environmental degradation and to address the most pressing environmental issues-even though technology and knowledge are available to do so.

The recognition of environmental issues as necessarily long-term and cumulative, with serious global and security implications, remains limited.
    The reconciliation of environment and trade regimes in a fair and equitable mannerstill remains a major challenge. The continued preoccupation with immediate local and national issues and a general lack of sustained interest in global and long-term environmental issues remain major impediments to
    environmental progress internationally. Global governance structures and global environmental solidarity remain too weak to make progress a world-wide reality. As a result, the gap between what has been done thus far and what is realistically needed is widening.

Comprehensive response mechanisms have not yet been fully internalized at the national level. The development at local, national, and regional levels of effective environmental legislation and of fiscal and economic instruments has not kept pace with the increase in environmental institutions. In the private sector, environmental advances by several major transnational corporations are not reflected widely in the practices of
    small- and medium-sized companies that form the backbone of economies in many countries.

In the future, the continued degradation of natural resources, shortcomings in environmental responses, and renewable resource constraints may increasingly lead to food insecurity and conflict situations. Changes in global biogeochemical cycles and the complex interactions between environmental problems such as climate change, ozone depletion, and acidification may have impacts that will confront local, regional, and global communities with situations they are unprepared for. Previously unknown risks to human health are becoming evident from the cumulative and
    persistent effects of a whole range of chemicals, particularly the
    persistent organic pollutants. The effects of climate variability and change are already increasing the incidence of familiar public health problems and leading to new ones, including a more extensive reach of vectorborne diseases and a higher incidence of heat-related illness and mortality. If significant major policy reforms are not implemented quickly, the future might hold more such surprises.

GEO-1 substantiates the need for the world to embark on major structural changes and to pursue environmental and associated socio-economic policies vigorously. Key areas for action must embrace the use of alternative and renewable energy resources, cleaner and leaner production systems world-wide, and concerted global action for the protection and conservation
    of the world's finite and irreplaceable fresh-water resources."

There you have it. We are all in peril and may still have the
    opportunity to act wisely and save the earth for future generations,but the probability of this happening is decreasing with eachpassing year and we may all have to face a very uncertain future and a very different world.

Looking at this in light of my last post on the New Face of War,
    we can see those social-economic conditions of competition for
    space, food, water, and other resources may lead to new theaters of conflict in the world. We pride ourselves on this of reason, but what we have managed to accomplish in the twentieth century is beyond all reason.

How much stress can the planet take before it breaks?

Sincerely,

Bill Hamilton
    Executive Director
    Skywatch International, Inc.
    http://www.skywatch-research.org
    Fiat Lux et Veritas

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

I was (mostly) with him up until here. This is (about) the point where it shifted from being a message of scientific problems that need to be worked on into being a message of political agenda.

From a political standpoint, we need less statements about how the world is going to "break" (because, ultimately, it won't) and more statements about how human civilization is going to be (potentially) devastated by the effects of global warming. In order to get the people to react, the problems need to be more sharply focused on the effects they will have on the people. Otherwise, people will just tend to pass it off as "it's only going to get a few degrees warmer in my lifetime".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Nature is like those trees in the cartoons, where we bend it until its tip is almost touching the ground. Then us sane people get off, and all the people who say the tree was going to break go flying.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Not that I'm supporting their attitude, but isn't that true?

8. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

The question is whether you believe the word "only". Maybe the temperature will rise "only" a few degrees, but that probably won't be the "only" thing to happen. Therefore, looking at "only" the temperature increase misses the big picture.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

earth is a complex life support system and if smthng changes, it itself may be not somethingdisasterful, but it can start a chain reaction of other changes and that is serious

and we are not aware of all the possible chain reactions

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Avatar, WE are one of those chain reactions.

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I agree with you. Though I think by "the world" it is meant our civilisation, not the Earth herself. People have the tendency to just do it off as "it will not happen in my lifetime", which is rather stupid and very shortsighted. Somehow people deny to see how it is 'cause it is not happening during their lifetime and thus say things like "it is only going to get a few degrees warmer in my lifetime". And live happily on, the way they do.

Case is that people wake up and do something. Now!

How can we make it possible people actually SEE what is happening in stead of them living on in their comforting lives and keep on going on their devastating, polluting way. There certainly is too much pollution and too much lightheartedness toward Earth's condition.

If humans are not put on the facts with their noses rubbed into it, they will not change their behaviour, no matter what, they will always find some idiotic reason to say it will be alright in the end. People, think again, have a serious look at what is happening with Earth at the moment. It is not only getting a few degrees warmer and it is not the only "thing" happening.

Don't you see how Earth is mistreated by humans? Open your eyes please.

Avatar, you are right. We are one of Earth's chain reactions wich will in the end be the final chain reaction to cause Earth to react and hopefully clean herself from us, pests...

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Banshee

Don't you see how Earth is mistreated by humans? Open your eyes please.

Tell me please, if you will, what is it you're doing personally to not be a part of the problem, but instead, be part of the solution ?

He/She who casts the first stone...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

I think Avatar's new word, 'disasterful,' is itself rather disasterful.

- Warren

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A chimpanzee walks up behind you and beans you with a stone.

OOOOOkkkkkk...... OOOOkkkkk........OOOOOOOkkkkkk.....
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!

15. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Murphy's Laws:

If anything can go wrong, it will.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one
    that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong,
    it will happen then.

If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which
    something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth
    way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously
    overlooked something.

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

Mother nature is a bitch.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gatta fly.
    Cya later,
    EvilPoet

16. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

First, don't be a "chicken little" as the sky is not falling yet.

Second, carefully evaluate all the information available.

Third, promote small improvements in your area of the world.

Finally, have others follow you through your example.

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Even if things get so sucky we die off it is not so bad. The problem will be instantaineously solved and life will go on. (in an altered state)

I am sure we will find some way to repair the injuries we cause before that eventuallity. A few space colonies should safe guard us just in case.