Steam pressure to Air pressure conversion

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Daedelus, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedelus Registered Senior Member

If one has a source of steam pressure, what are the better options for deriving cool air pressure from it? Reason, to drive pneumatic devices that cannot handle the heat of steam.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Use a single shaft with steam motor on one end and air compressor on the other but more than 50% of the steam energy will be lost.

At end of WWII I bought cheaply a mil. surplus PE-103 unit, which had a single shaft. A 6V DC motor (car batteries were 6V back then) on one end and a 500V DC generator on the other end. It converted 6 to 500V with more than 80% efficiency. It was ideal for powering my amateur radio's 807 tube final stage transmitter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Daedelus Registered Senior Member

That's an idea worth looking at. I realize there would be losses but that may not matter. I know that a steam powered engine could be coupled with a compressor. Was wondering if there was already a device or designs for one that did that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I don't know if you're handy around the shop but if so, it would not be hard to fabricate one on your own. Use an automotive water pump (or even a turbocharger) configured to run as a turbine and connect it to a compressor. Rather than a direct drive shaft, I'd suggest pulleys and a belt so that you can get the ratio where it needs to be.

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

Two rotary pistons on the same shaft.
    One works as a pneumatic motor and take energy from the steam and the other works as compressor.

9. Daedelus Registered Senior Member

Good suggestions. Thanks.

When you say 'rotary pistons' are you talking about like in a Wankel engine?

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

11. Daedelus Registered Senior Member

Cool links, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.