Still Uncivilized

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by J.B, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.B Banned Banned

How long will it take untill these third world country's become civilized?

I wonder what the world would be like without Europeans to lead others to civilization?

Although India is famed as an ancient civilization and the homeland of Mahatma Gandhi, the apostle of non-violence, crime against women is commonplace.

Molestation, especially on crowded public transport, is rampant, particularly in northern India. Activists say there are two rapes every hour across the country.

Instead of providing protection, the police are sometimes the perpetrators. Last month, a constable in Bombay was arrested for raping a teenager on Marine Drive, the famous sea-hugging road in India's financial capital.

Victims often face social ostracism and are even blamed for rape -- village elders recently forced one to "marry" her rapist, her own father-in-law.

A recent survey by the India Today magazine showed one in every two women in leading cities felt unsafe and more than one in three was skeptical of police handling of cases.

"The system works against the victim," said Aatreiyer Sen, assistant director of the Human Rights Law Network. "It's a very cumbersome system and not a very sensitive system."

Activists say one in every five victims is a child and 19 of 20 accused walk free. Official figures show more than 18,100 people were tried for rape in 2003. Just 4,645 were convicted.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/as...ndian_women_fight_back_against_rape_epidemic/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, I'm not so sure that Europeans are such a great example of "civilization", are they? Have you checked the crime stats in whatever country you're from lately? If not, do so.

In the USA, in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, among many others, the crime stats are so high and out of control that I'm not so sure that many of the residents might opt for a nice place like India to live!!

Seriously, it's best to look to our own conditions pror to condemning others for what they're doing. Check it out, you'll be amazed and shocked.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think that's not so much civilization, but women's rights. India is a strongly patriarchal society, and the Indian men I have met are often offensively sexist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. J.B Banned Banned

I agree, but that is because 80% of convicted criminals in America are NON- Europeans.

"Check it out you will be amazed and shocked"
    http://www.motherjones.com/news/special_reports/prisons/atlas.html

8. J.B Banned Banned

Ya sure thats it, it's a "women rights" issue.

The way men treat women in a socity has nothing to do with being civilized.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What???

You were just equating rape with lack of civilization.

...and what in the world does this have to do with Eastern Philosophy? ...or is this more of your racist diarrhea of the brain?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with being racist? I mean, hell, by far the greater majority of people in the world are racists. That must tell us something, huh? ...like maybe "Birds of a feather, flock together."?

Just because you don't happen to like it, that's just tough shit, ain't it? Besides, my bet goes to the fact that you really ARE a racist, you're just too chicken-shit to admit it.

Baron Max

11. Roman Banned Banned

Until the last century, most Europeans, especially by Americans, were not considered white. Italians, Eastern Europeans, the Irish, pretty much anyone non-French, German or English were considered to be a different, and inferior race.

Americans considered most of Europe unable to have a democracy, since it was full of supposed non-whites.

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

all crap and nothing else. Someone needs to moderate this shit. And btw is anyone actually in U.S.?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's OK to acknowledge general differences between races, but to imply that one race's differences can be applied to everyone of that race and that the quality makes them inferior to another race is not ethical. Blacks may have developed stronger leg muscles, but that doesn't mean that every black person is good at sports, or that a white athlete can't be the best runner. The differences between individuals are generally greater than the differences between races, except on the most superficial level.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But it's still funny when Dave Chappell says nigger.

15. J.B Banned Banned

I agree,

My point is, what are those degrees of differences you talk about?

Is one group of people more prone on the average to violent behaviour? (Rape Murder ect..)

Does one group of people on average have more sexual deceises then another?

What group of people on average does better at taking care of their children?

What group of people on average does better at taking care of there neigborhood and community?

What group of people for me is the best to live with and work with and feel the safest with?

These and other things about racial differences are things I want to know, I believe that having this knowledge can and will help me to make better choices in life, when it comes to this subject.

Now it's not like they ain't plenty of proof to answer these questions with, all you got to do is be honest and maybe that honesty will change things?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  16. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Nazis.

17. J.B Banned Banned

Thats what I'm saying, spidey,

I think the amount of rape committed in a socity is one excellent way to equate the advance of that socity's civilization.

Case and point:

U.N.: Rape As Weapon of War High in Congo

June 22, 2005, 3:43 PM EDT

PANZI, Congo --
    "I laid there for one week," Ombeni said. "Until insects came out of my body." Ombeni was eventually rescued by a woman who was foraging for food and made her way to a clinic for rape victims.

She is one of thousands of women who are brutally raped each year in Congo, another layer of degradation in a war that never seems to end.

In a briefing before the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday, U.N. humanitarian chief Jan Egeland said rape as a weapon of war was at its worst in eastern Congo and the Darfur region of Sudan.

Egeland said the scale, prevalence and profound impact of sexual violence made it one of the most serious challenges facing those trying to protect civilians caught up in war. Ensuring rapists were punished and restoring local justice systems were key to addressing the problem, he said.

With funding from the European Commission, the clinic provides medical and psychiatric care, as well as counseling to help women re-enter society. Rape victims are often ostracized in Africa, where husbands and families routinely kick out their wives and mothers if they have been raped.

The United States government also provides funding to over a dozen organizations in the region offering counseling, family mediation, medical care and legal representation to victims and their families. Since 2003, the combined programs have helped over 16,000 women.

Most rapes in the area are committed by Rwandan Hutu rebels, who fled into eastern Congo after Rwanda's 1994 genocide, said Panzi's medical director Denis Mukwege.

Generally, militiamen will circle a village and rape all the women, he said. Then they'll choose the young ones and take them as slaves into the forest-covered mountains.

"I had a 60-year-old woman who was raped with bamboo. Can you imagine?" Mukwege asked. "Yesterday she died."

"This is not an issue of sexual desire," he added. "The aim is to destroy."

The number of rape cases is increasing, he said. Since January, 1,700 women have been admitted to the clinic. The clinic expects to treat about 3,600 women by year's end -- up from 2,700 last year.

Mukwege said this number is only a fraction of the women who are raped in outlying villages. Most choose to keep silent, fearing reprisals by militia or banishment.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...n,0,4387959.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

18. J.B Banned Banned

If I was to think like many others, I would have to somehow believe that not all Nazis are bad people and to judge them ALL as individuals, any other way would be hateful.

As a Jew, a Nazi niegborhood would not be the safest for me.

As to a white person a black niegborhood would not be safest for them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  19. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

You had already neglected nazis when you generalized white europeans leading others to civilization. But you have no hesitation to pick up few rapes to declare a billion strong population as uncivilized. Not withstanding the fact that unlike in europe where rape is yet another violence, in india and in east rape is a as severe a crime as murder and hence so much nationwide protests.

Whole civilized europe had not been a safe place for you to start with. Now add the arab world and your racist shit will eventually make the east and africa too are not going to be safe for you.

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

jb, please stop being pissy about India's crime scene on women. Have you opened your eyes recently and looked over U.S.? if you havent please come to any downtowns in the country, be it NYC,LA or any other, then you"ll know what rape and fuck against will rates are.

Crime against women is common place in public transport? where the fuck have you got this info?
    and this is eastern philo?

imagining india as third world place and actually going there and knowing the country are two different things. and i am enraged that this bul shit is being carried on as a thread?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Therefore annual rapes = 2 x 24 x 365 = 17520
    Population of India = 1,000,000,000
    Therefore, rape rate per 100,000 persons per annum = 1.7
    Rape rate per 100,000 persons in the US = 34.4 (Source:
    http://sa.rochester.edu/masa/stats.php)

So, your point JB seems to evaporate under the bright light of reality. (Alternatively you were speaking only of rape on public transport, in which case your point sublimes in the incoherence of a poorly prhased post.)

22. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

right on. I was reading to the end to mention the population but I wouldve done so without the cool math stats. Thanks :-D

23. J.B Banned Banned

Sure America has a very high rate of rape, America has a very high population of African's and Hispanics commiting those rapes.

If any of you think that I should have named this thead anything other then uncivilized, what else do you call this behaviour?

2 million girls a year mutilated
    Every year several million women approach childbirth knowing that the risk will be greater because some or all of their genitalia has been cut away by the traditional practice of female genital mutilation (FGM).

Approximately 2 million girls are mutilated every year. Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Somalia, and the Sudan account for 75% of all cases. In Djibouti and Somalia, 98% of girls are mutilated.
    http://www.unicef.org/pon96/womfgm.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.