Straight forward political discussions with no nonsense

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by The New JT, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dixie Registered Member

• Well, you are certainly welcome to go away.
    You could have just told us to go away but I guess brevity and getting to the point isn't your strong suit.

Left but Right likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BC Chick Registered Senior Member

Just one question. Why are you giving us new people trying to figure things out grief, when one of your "senior" users, spidergoat, is also participating? Just curious.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BC Chick Registered Senior Member

And I ventured out, even liked one of your posts on another board. But to be honest, there wasn't much life and hours or days between responses.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GHO1 Registered Member

I saw that as well. There was some suggestion that it may have been an OD, but that was not confirmed. Not difficult to assume that incident played some role in the subsequent shooting. Did the parents turn him in? Hospitalize him? And he got mad and shot them? Weird. Obviously much more to the story if/when they finally find this guy.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm usually a good boy.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It might take a longer attention span than you might be used to.

10. BC Chick Registered Senior Member

That may very well be valid. It takes some time to get used to. I'm not trolling. I'm not insulting anyone. I'm not harassing anyone - I didn't even post the link to your bio. But if we are here, discussing things related to the topic thread - which was being a CNN Refugee, what is the real issue?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You brought trolls with you.

12. BC Chick Registered Senior Member

I didn't bring anyone with me. I certainly didn't invite that user and I certainly hoped he wouldn't find us.

Left but Right and GHO1 like this.
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

"Political" is very close to "nonsense" nowadays. When the president of the US spends his days tweeting about how much "Alex Baldwin" sucks as a comedian . . . it's hard to tell the difference between politics and nonsense.

14. The New JT Registered Member

Yes, nonsense is the new norm of American politics. Having a President that is in no way Presidential has had a negative impact on civil discourse.

15. The New JT Registered Member

Having ignored ChucklesM, I had not seen the ridiculous posts that he has been making on other threads. Chuckles is a nuisance.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Quick suggestion here - move such threads to an appropriate forum and let them post their "blocs of lazy, rapid-fire posts" - that way the more serious posters can ignore that forum, and they have a place to debate what's important to them, even if it seems trivial or lazy.

Left but Right and GHO1 like this.
  17. GHO1 Registered Member

I have to ask - why are YOU here? This is a very small thread with a few dozen comments by a handful of users. The user who started the thread did not blast out some invitation to it, so presumably, you had to seek it out. You like nothing about us or our posts, consider us rude and entitled, yet this is the 3rd thread you have followed us to. Why? Why not just ignore us and leave us to our rude, entitled, trivial posts, rather than joining in them?

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — It's kind of obvious

I actually have a number of questions, but the first is to wonder if you really can't tell the difference.

Consider, please, a longtime member with a history demonstrating himself capable of writing substantial posts, who is in fact participating in defense of what standards of discourse we have left.

Now, contrast, please, with a member of a group of newcomers who entered as a group, behaved disruptively as a group, and continually demand attention.

Furthermore, please understand, it is actually within my purview to take severe action, including suspension of posting privileges, simply for the insistent opening of chatterbox threads. That people are new is why I haven't.

This group has generated fifteen complaints, some of which actually require attention, in a very short time.

It's one thing to walk in and try to figure things out. It's another to walk in, stand around in the way and loudly demand attention. Again, can you not tell the difference?

And now that it's actually been claimed↑ that someone brought you here—("And that I praised this place as being a rational spot to get away from that sort of thing?")—guess what that looks like? That looks like someone who knows how it goes around here bringing agitators to stand around and make problems. So thank Superluminal, if you want: He brought you to a place where he already knew your manner of conduct would be unwelcome. Are you able to discern the differences?

Right now we're at the point where a bunch of people walked in and are pissed off that everyone else hasn't fallen over in order to accommodate them.

It will also help if, group dynamics aside, the individuals would start conducting themselves in some believable manner.

This isn't Twitter, or some such. In the question of hoping to "discourse in peace↗", there is a difference 'twixt trying to figure it out and just doing whatever you do. Like open threads. So, yeah, for the record, those don't fly around here. For our purposes in the moment, though, there is a bit about trying to figure it out, and then there is plantationing.

What I would recommend, in terms of trying to figure things out, is to actually try figuring things out. That is to say, don't just walk in someplace and act like you're still wherever you were. The twit-thread style of posting is itself problematic. Seriously, it works well enough at Twitter, but that's not how this place works.

(Your character limit, here, is ten thousand, not two hundred eighty.)

19. Dixie Registered Member

• A'ight, then. 'Bye.
    What I would recommend is you shut the hell up so you could hear something other than yourself being an arrogant shit. buu-bye asshole.

20. GHO1 Registered Member

Yes, unfortunately, he is exactly the sort of person who feeds on causing trouble for others. As soon as he realizes that a moderator will shut down a thread for bad behavior, the worse his behavior will become so as to close as many threads as possible. The site would do well to ban him right away.

21. GHO1 Registered Member

Any new developments on the Michigan shooting? They find the guy?

I think it's unlikely, given what we have learned about this case, that this case will impact the national discussion.

Problem is no one is serious enough to put their politics aside and put something in motion. No Repub will offer up a universal background check bill because their fellow R's will scream at them for "giving in" or "slippery slope" or whatever. Meanwhile, no D will put forth such a limited bill either as their fellow D's will scream it's not enough and they're just "giving in" instead of fighting for more.

So in the end, nothing gets done...again.

22. BC Chick Registered Senior Member

How did we demand attention over here on a thread and not interfering with anyone else? I understand you do not like the way we post. I can appreciate that. But it's not like we are swarming other threads, demanding to be paid attention to. I respectfully suggest, you are off base here. I could understand if we were, on mass, going into threads and causing disruption. I do not feel that is the case here. You say, as a group we have generated 15 complaints. Were those complaints about all the members of the group or one member? I am not trying to be difficult, I am really just trying to understand why us being here, on a thread, not interfering with others, is such an issue.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Trying to engage rather than ignore. It's a tiny neighborhood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.