Strange DNS problem on one computer only

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Billy T, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Using my wife's computer as can not go to any (almost any) site with mine. The DNS sustem tells me on my computer (using windows 10 as this one is) that the address (numerical version of site name, I think) can not be found.

but they can be found when using this computer. I'm no geek. Can anyone suggestn what I can do to get my computer able to connect to sites

I have shut down and restarted - no benefit.

If I just keep trying say 20 times, then it may connect.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Check your computers IP address. Use a command prompt to run:
    Code:
    ipconfig
    (try this on both your computer and your wife's to compare the information)

If your IPv4 address is a 169.254.#.# address, then it's a LAN DHCP problem (not a DNS one). In that case you need to check your cables, reboot your router/modem and try to renew your connection.
    (You can use ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew to release and renew your current assigned IP, however it will only work if you can communicate with the DHCP server)

You can check if your interface is enabled or disabled by using the command:
    Code:
    netsh interface show interface
    (If you are dealing with a cable connection the interface you are looking for should be Ethernet If it's named something different though you'll need to note that when using the next command)

If your interface is enabled (and your IP wasn't a 169.254.#.# , then your DNS entries might be assigned statically and they need to be set back to automatically assigned from your ISP/router. That can be done with the command:
    Code:
    netsh interface ip set dns "Ethernet" dhcp
    Give that a try and see if that helps any.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.