Street cameras

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Jul 27, 2008.

?

Do you support government street security cameras?

1. Yes, but only for major crime areas

28.6%
  2. Yes, widespread use

9.5%
  3. Yes, widespread use + identification and face recognition system

23.8%
  4. No, no use at all

38.1%
  1. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

I don't think the government really cares what happens to us.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

They should

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

and how many times have you been robbed? or beaten up?

I'm not trying to come off hostile here but try and look at this from my perspective.

I have never been robbed or beaten up..Actually never even came close and I have lived in some really high crime areas.

Police are becoming too "needed" it seems. They are everywhere and there is a crime for almost everything. People have lost their ability to protect themselves and severely lack personal responsibility. Even those who can protect themselves still live in extreme fear that they would consider cameras in public places a good idea.

Is being robbed/raped/beaten, such a common thing these days that we need cameras? I must be an extremely lucky person then becuase I have never seen or been through any of those experiences.

Im afraid of terroirsm like I'm afraid of getting hit by a metiorite. Im afraid of getting robbed like im afraid of being abducted by aliens.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Even if we can protect ourselves, why not cameras? They're yet better.

9. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

For what?

Someone will be in control of those cameras what makes you think they will always be looking out for your interests?

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

they are not for our safety they are there so the police/goverment know what we do, frankly i dont want the goverment knowing when i have sex outside thankyou!

and besides they dont protect us they hinder us

11. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Because the people behind the cameras have tended to be criminals also. And so they are criminals with incredibly powerful tools.

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Most governments work if people and governments act as they should, whatever that means to each person. They don't however. So the trick is to minimize the damage of all this. A powerful govenment - made up of humans, Norsefire - has the ability to commit tremendous evil. So steps are taken to weaken that government and makes sure if it starts being evil there are processes at hand to defend the citizens from that govenment.

Governments that do surveillance on their people, have curfews and have a lot of power have tended to commit attrocious acts against their own people.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

They also have great power to do good as well; it's better for everyone to have a bigger brother that looks out for them.

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

A bigger brother, in real life, has a personal relationship with you AND with your parents. It's a bad metaphor. Sometimes your responses are so weak, I wonder if you are just pulling our legs. I don't say that to be mean. I mean that literally. You must know that an older brother is a completely different thing in a family than in a government. Orwell had the government use that name as an example of manipulative propaganda. He coined it as an example of the kinds of BS totalitarian regimes come up with to cover their real feelings for the people.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But with good leaders, the leaders really would be like family and brothers.

That's exactly the concept; I don't like the government and people to have a "us and them" mentality. The government should be like your family and friends. Someone who looks out for you and someone you can trust to be there for you should the time arise.

i.e, you could say the government to be a sort of passive "God"

16. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Sigh, this hasn't happened much. Not with big groups. This is fantasy.

But people with power tend not to think of themselves as liek the people who don't have power. I would guess you imagine yourself to be a good potential leader. And you sense that you would try to be like a big brother. But the kinds of people who end up in power positions tend to be good at pushing other people out of the way. And they tend to want their sons to have a lot of power, even if their sons are evil stupid monsters.