Study of fracking in four states uncovers over 6600 spills

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kittamaru, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/study-of-fracking-in-four-states-uncovers-over-6600-spills

Hm... we taking any bets that we will see an increase in spills as deregulation allows for more cost/corner cutting?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

From the numbers in the article: About one serious (reported) spill per year for every twenty wells in operation. Given the claimed production life of the average well (a little over three years), that translates to one serious spill for every six drilled wells in a given watershed, on average.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

So a minimum of 6648 barrels of what exactly has spilled? I'm guessing the toxic skrill water they pull out of the grown after fracking?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

What is 'skrill water', and how do they pull it out of the 'grown'?

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Skrill you buddy.

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I note the stats give details about how many spills per number of wells including a (good) suggestion to standardise report forms along with some thoughts on the causes of spills

I find it strange and curious that what I would have thought would be critical information is lacking

Size of leak

Damage caused by leak

Size is not necessarily correlated with damage but since most of the opposition centres around harmful effects caused by fracking why is such information not front and centre?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!