Study opens new realms of light-matter interaction

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A new MIT study could open up new areas of technology based on types of light emission that had been thought to be “forbidden,” or at least so unlikely as to be practically unattainable. The new approach, the researchers say, could cause certain kinds of interactions between light and matter, which would normally take billions of years to happen, to take place instead within billionths of a second, under certain special conditions.
    Interactions between light and matter, described by the laws of quantum electrodynamics, are the basis of a wide range of technologies, including lasers, LEDs, and atomic clocks. But from a theoretical standpoint. Most light-matter interaction processes are ‘forbidden’ by electronic selection rules, which limits the number of transitions between energy levels we have access to.
    For example, spectrograms, which are used to analyze the elemental composition of materials, show a few bright lines against a mostly dark background. The bright lines represent the specific “allowed” energy level transitions in the atoms of that element that can be accompanied by the release of a photon (a particle of light). In the dark regions, which make up most of the spectrum, emission at those energy levels is “forbidden.”
    With this new study, researchers demonstrate theoretically that these constraints can be lifted” using confined waves within atomically thin, 2-D materials.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/forbidden-light-emissions-sensors-0714

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I hate to see leading edge science get no response. My response will meet with jeers, I'm sure, but this is from the article linked http://news.mit.edu/2016/forbidden-light-emissions-sensors-0714 : "The trick is, in effect, to “shrink” the light so it better matches the scale of the atom, as the researchers show in their study. The key to enabling a whole range of interactions, specifically transitions in atomic states that relate to absorbing or emitting light, is the use of a two-dimensional material called graphene, in which light can interact with matter in the form of plasmons, a type of electromagnetic oscillation in the material."

In response to a question on my thread in AltTheory, I brought up the speculations about an oscillating background that advances light and gravity waves, and when I read about the MIT advances I could see a connection to my Fringe speculation http://bit.ly/2alVHMX

This from my speculations out in the Fringe: "If you noted my premise that there is an oscillating foundational background to the universe, present everywhere as the lowest wave energy denominator (like a quantum foam), which serves to advance wave energy through space, both gravitational waves and light waves, then here is a point I didn't make yet. Each oscillation at the foundational level has an electric component and a magnetic component."

"Each oscillation has two stages, the build up of energy in a high energy density spot, and the spherical disbursement of that energy to feed the surrounding oscillations. The disbursement is the electric field component, and the build up of the energy in the local high energy density spot is the magnetic field component."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    danshawen likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Your always right QW

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

No, I'm not right. It is speculation, and far far from being tested, and so, it is as yet unfalsifiable. But everything is connected, and my thinking is that the connection is enabled at the foundational level, the tiniest wave energy environment; Out in the Fringe, I speculate about an oscillating foundational background, for layman level talking purposes.
    And there is this from you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:
    So I think your comment should be taken in that context, but I like it anyway, lol.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Makes sense to me.. two sinusoidal waves make a tangent.
    The unfortunate part is I was thinking about Wagner... but I still often disagree with Russ's aproach...