Stupid Sayings

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

In my day, we learned things in school (like arithmetic and history) and that didn't leave us much time to hound one another to suicide for having the wrong haircut.
    PS I still have a pet targ.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    The point is that it no longer makes any sense yet people continue saying it. Now it is stupid.

I do not mind the explanation tho.

Well, apologist, once upon a time, more meant explaining & there is nothing wrong with explaining. Later it came to more mean justifying (or desperately trying to justify).

<>

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    I do not know how close we are in age but I was much harassed in school. Mostly by those who did not learn much.

<>

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There were different schools, neighbourhoods, districts, countries and continents in my time, as in yours. I was lucky.
    I was also amiable, harmless and amusing. And I kept a low profile. And I did the jocks' history homework in detention.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Waiting until the 11th hour. ( Intending nearly the same as waiting until the last minute)

Wikipedia claims The Eleventh Hour is a phrase meaning at the last moment, taken from a passage in the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard in the King James Bible yet does not explain it to my satisfaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eleventh_Hour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Workers_in_the_Vineyard

Few, if any, who say it know of the above reference & must somehow think the 11th hour is the last hour. Of what tho? Some 11 hour period??? How often is that applicable???
    Currently, 24 hour time mode & 12 hour time mode are dominant & 12 hour time mode is slowly fading away. The 11th hour is not the last in either.
    Someone once said to me "The 11th hour is the hour beginning with 11:01" but that is the 12th hour.
    Also, usually when people say until the last minute, they are very much exaggerating.

<>

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Except in movies, where the bomb is invariably defused at 11:59:57.
    Anyway, Jesus didn't carry an hourglass. (Thomas did, but he kept forgetting to flip it over.)

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    LOL at both.

<>

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The fool says in his heart, there is no God.

For his invisible attributes (God) , namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

The 1st is the oldest best trick of con artists. Tell fools that they are fools if they do not believe & the fools will believe or pretend such in order to not appear to be fools.
    The 2nd is somewhat a variation of the 1st & obviously false.
    Silly theists think these quotes from scripture should mean something to people who do not believe scripture means anything.

<>

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

No fair!
    If you're going to use biblical quotations under "sayings", you'll have to copy in the ten commandments, the sermon on the mount, all of Revelation and Paul's entire correspondence. What the hell, just link the whole book, except Ecclesiastes - I like this one for reference https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-Chapter-1/
    maybe exempt Solomon's love-poems; besotted men are supposed to talk stupidly.

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    I think "Thou shalt not steal" & "Thou shalt not kill" are good much more often than not but of course not completely good. The others of the 10, if I recall well enough without checking, are stupid. Specially considering they are there rather than slavery, rape, child abuse & personal hygiene. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" is quite telling tho most christians refuse to face it.

I would not try to prohibit bible quotes but I would not like to have many. I hate to admit a significant part of my reason for posting that is past & specially current frustration with fools quoting those while ignorant of con artist tricks & seeming to absurdly think scripture should mean something to atheists.

I hope I did not sit a president.

<>

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Butthurt

I realize each generation has its lingo & I hope I do not seem to expect anyone to be perfect but when I see or hear this I think that person is not thinking well and/or they need to frigging grow up.

<>

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

This one goes out to, Tiassa: "In truth".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

That was the whole point, the only one that matters, except maybe "honour thy father" - (mother, too, if you have time). Jehovah knew perfectly well that nobody could stop coveting anything or any body, just because he forbade it, same as he'd known they couldn't refrain form tasting that apple. As for the killing and stealing part... What's the next thing to happen? J sez: go to Jericho, sneak in, sap the fortifications, kill the people and take their land.
    How seriously can modern Christians take those commandments when they're cheating on elections, lying about every blessed thing under and including the sun, bombing all the peoples who have farms on top of oil deposits and executing inconvenient citizens of their own country?

How much do you weigh?

OK here's one: In vino veritas.

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    I prefer whiskey.
    I have seen it happen & I have seen the opposite happen. I do not know the origin but I suspect someone saw that happen a couple times, ignored the times it did not apply & started the saying.

<>

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

When they made that up, the Romans hadn't met the Scots yet.

It's quite true that drunks blurt out things they wouldn't ordinarily say, but it's as apt to be fish stories, insincere protestations of affection, nostalgic rambling, maudlin regrets, bluster and blarney as truth. More, in my experience.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Yes. I should have been more clear that I have seen it not valid much more often than valid.

<>

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  21. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

The road to hell is paved with good intentions because the 20 ton roller drives over them...

22. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

... OK ... ?

23. akoreamerican Registered Senior Member

You don't believe in good intentions?