Submerged city discovered off the coast of India...

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wet1, Feb 6, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1768000/1768109.stm

"The whole model of the origins of civilization with which archaeologists have been working will have to be remade from scratch..."

Another Submerged City

21-Jan-2002

The remains of a huge underwater city off the western coast of India may force historians and archaeologists to radically reconsider their view of ancient human history. It's believed that the area was submerged when ice caps melted at the end of the last ice age, 9-10,000 years ago.

Marine scientists say archaeological remains disco vered 120 feet underwater in the Gulf of Cambay off the western coast of India could be over 9,000 years old. The vast city - which is five miles long and two miles wide - is believed to predate the oldest known remains in the subcontinent by more than 5,000 years.

The site was discovered by chance last year by oceanographers from India's National Institute of Ocean Technology who were conducting a survey of pollution. Using sidescan sonar - which sends a beam of sound waves down to the bottom of the ocean - they identified huge geometrical structures at a depth of 120 feet. Debris recovered from the site - including construction material, pottery, sections of walls, beads, sculpture and human bones and teeth - has been carbon dated and found to be nearly 9,500 years old.

However, archaeologist Justin Morris from the British Museum says more work will need to be done before the site can be said to belong to a 9,000 year old civilization, since there can be errors in carbon dating. "Culturally speaking, in that part of the world there were no civilizations prior to about 2,500 BC. What's happening before then mainly consisted of small, village settlements," he says.

Strong tides make investigations in the Cambay difficult. Marine scientists led by the Madras-based National Institute of Ocean Technology are solving this problem by taking acoustic images off the sea-bed and using dredging equipment to extract artifacts.

The Indian Minister for Ocean Technology, Murli Manohar Joshi, says the images indicate symmetrical man-made structures and also a paleo-river, with banks containing artifacts, such as pottery. Carbon dating on a block of wood brought up from the depths suggests it dates back to 7,595 BC. "We have to find out what happened then ... where and how this civilisation vanished," he says.

The city is believed to be even older than the ancient Harappan civilisation, which dates back around 4,000 years and is the oldest on the subcontinent. Although Palaeolithic sites dating back around 20,000 years have been found on the coast of India's western state of Gujarat before, this is the first time that man-made structures as old as 9,500 years have been found deep beneath the ocean surface.

Marine archaeologists have used a technique known as sub- bottom profiling to show that the buildings were built on enormous foundations. Graham Hancock, author of "Fingerprints of the Gods," says, "The [oceanographers] found that they were dealing with two large blocks of apparently man made structures. Cities on this scale are not known in the archaeological record until roughly 4,500 years ago when the first big cities begin to appear in Mesopotamia. Nothing else on the scale of the underwater cities of Cambay is known. The first cities of the historical period are as far away from these cities as we are today from the pyramids of Egypt."

Hancock feels this discovery could have a major influence on our view of the ancient world. "There's a huge chronological problem in this discovery. It means that the whole model of the origins of civilization with which archaeologists have been working will have to be remade from scratch," he says.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

It's amazing how we know nothing about what's unda da sea!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Nor up in da sky, or under da gound

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

AMAZING, YEEEEEEEEEEEEES, I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!!
    Is one of the cities of ATLANTIS finally found???????!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for these news Banshee

Last edited: Feb 6, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Atlantis...or Lemuria...perhaps, maybe...

8. kmguru Staff Member

It is possible, most of the older civilisation perished under the sea due to polar ice melting. If they find gold ornaments, that will be interesting since it is stable for thousands of years.

Finally, the vedas will have a real link to the people of the time.

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuuummmm...

Thaks for the link!

For everyone:
    Is this a sign of the changes Earth will soon pass through? We are starting to rediscover our History...
    Where was Atlantis? And Lemuria? And the connection with ET's and "Gods"?

The New Testament talks about "clouds" coming in the "end of the world". Clouds... UFO's... Vedas... 2012... Are those things a sign that the "Kingdom of God" is coming? Discussion opened...

Blessings,
    Nelson

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Do we really need gods? (~kingdom of god~) I think tht we must organise our lives ourselves, not by some extraterrestrial (sp) creatures. Sure, find truth about ancient gods and our past- it's been my dream since 14. But I'm not so happy of the possibility tht our "gods" may return.

11. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

That may say something for global warming- either it happens frequently and by many different means, or that it's happenieng now and it may have nothing to do with greenhouse gasses. However, it might also say that what happened to that city was not global warming; merely a freak accident, and what we have today is global warming.

In other words, what it says is relatively nothing. That's what makes finding these things so extraoridinary- they say nothing in terms of true, concrete, scientific discoveries (at least at first), yet are a true open door for what they may mean. History is always drawn from inferrence, and we always infer from what we have. We can never have it all, so all accounts of history are inhherantly incomplete.

12. kmguru Staff Member

How true! That is why, history is rewritten, when new information is uncovered. I have always said, the ancient civilizations are linked to India and China. I am sure they had Vimanas at the time. That could be hot air ballons or derigibles. One thing interesting is that, it all fits. That is some of the anceint sanskrit texts were passed down via spoken words until it was written. If you had to run for your life due to flood to the highlands, you may not have time to gather pencil and paper. Yet, you retain the knowledge of your experience. You pass that to your children and they to theirs. You start a new world.

13. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

I posted this in the philosophy forum, but it's probably more relevant here, for some reason:

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Those things that I said are written in ALL the Religions of the world. The dates are the hardest thing to look at. Many Religions have their own calendar. What is impressive is that all the dates fall into about 2012! And all their descriptions are the same! So is better get used with it because something will happen! Or they all got drunk and imagined the same thing...

Blessings,
    Nelson

15. kmguru Staff Member

We discussed this elsewhere. I am getting ready for 2012 with food , guns and ammo - just in case, the world plunges into the darkness. I wish they hurry up the fuel cell that one can buy to generate power. I recommend someone start a topic "getting prepared for 2012". I am not sure what subject it will be under though.

It is a serious threat and risk analysis and management is the way to go.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

kmguru,
    You can't protect yourself like this. The only way to protect yourself is by Faith and Love. You have to listen your inner-voice. What your inner-voice is telling you? Stop thinking for 15 minutes. Relax. Listen to your Silence. It's strange, but even the Silence has its meaning. This is your Real-Self speaking with you. Your Real-Self is like God. Is powerfull, plenty with lovingkindness... your Real-Self is perfect. All your imperfections are in your ego. So, Silence your ego and listen to You. Listen to your Heart. With practice, your Real-Self will even speak with you when you don't expect.

Only the awakened ones will survive. Listen to your Real-Self is everything you need to do to wake up.

Blessings and Good Luck,
    Nelson

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

good night....................................................

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

*Where was Atlantis? And Lemuria?*

Some dates refer to off the coast near Mexico. Other dates refer to off the coast near India. The last seems more logical to me, for the knowledge which is left behind and found, speaks of India as the country with the richest Mystical background, so to say.

There is a lot in the culture of India which refers to extraterestrial interferences in the past. Do a search on the internet if you want to find all the information and old 'stories' of India.

Am to lazy to look it up right now.

The Mayan calender speaks of the year 2012, the calender we are used to, speaks of the year 2013. This is because the Mayans based their calender on the Moon. The calender we use is based on the Sun's rotation...

19. kmguru Staff Member

If Mayans based on lunar calender then 2012 should be 676032 days that is equivalent to 1852 years on a 365 day per year basis and not 2013.

As I have posted before, there is a story in India about people colonizing this planet from the binary star system of Mizar (part of the big dipper). 10,000 years is a long time for stuff to happen there including war and antimatter bombs. If there are any remnants of the colonization elsewhere, they would be just beginning to send probes out. We will soon know the truth. And truth may be stranger than fiction....

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Congratulations,

One can easily disprove your generality by pointing out that Science is atypically capacious in its successes because it, amongst all other pursuits of learnedness, disproves things at every step.

Truthseeker,

You mean, everyone should get a lobotomy and leave their lives to their lower brain functions which evolution itself tells us are mostly inadequate to the task of us being fully human?

Ego is self. If you silence self who is left to listen?

Banshee,

No, it is based on Earth's revolution around the sun and human preference.

What else have you gotten wrong? Oh, yeah -- this Atlantis stuff is better suited to the Psuedo-science forum.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Kmguru...

I did some research of the Mayans and their calendar. I was wrong in the former post...

The Mayan timekeeping system is so radically different than the European Gregorian calendar that they cannot be compared as systems but can only be correlated. This means that we can "calibrate" the years of the two calendars with a key astronomical event that was recorded on both calendars. Until 1991 no single astronomical event had been recorded on both calendars that could be compared, so the dates for the calendars were a matter of scholarly theory.

The calendar was destroyed in 1520 soon after the European arrived in Mexico in order to "drive the devil" out of the people and was no longer used, so the opportunity to find a correlation date disappeared in 1520. The July 11, 1991 solar eclipse was the first date that had been preserved in a prophecy since Eric Thompson proved that the Maya knew astronomy in the 1950's. Prior to Eric Thompson's work, Euro-American scholars commonly taught that Native Americans did not know astronomy.

Since the date of the July 11, 1991 solar eclipse was accurately recorded by the Maya centuries ago, it is the first date that can be used to correlate the Mayan long count and the Gregorian calendar. The Mayan long count is a finite count with a discrete beginning and ending, and the main problem has been identifying what year the beginning correlates with the Gregorian calendar. It is not believed that John Major Jenkins addressed the accuracy of the July 11, 1991 solar eclipse in his theory about the Mayan long count beginning in 3114BCE due to the astronomical dating method. Again, the differences between the astronomical and historical dates are a problem inherent in the Euro-American count rather than the Mayan count.

Enthusiasts for the 3114BCE beginning of the Mayan long count never seem to reconcile the accuracy of the July 11, 1991 solar eclipse prediction. The Maya's prediction of the accurate date for this eclipse was a stunning accomplishment considering that European astronomers did not know that the solar year was really about 365.25 days in 1520 when they arrived in Mexico. There's a point when the obvious facts must be reconciled with theory, and the July 11, 1991 solar eclipse is one of those points.

MAYAN COUNT RECORDS MILLIONS OF YEARS

Dates millions of years in the past are recorded in Mesoamerica, which means that the long count is just the most recent cycle. That the Mayan long count began in 3113BC indicates that this was the first year of the most recent count, and 3114BC would be the last year of the previous count.

Thus, 3114BCE was the end of a cycle and 3113BCE was the beginning of a new cycle. December 22, 2011 could be considered the commencement of the last phase of the Mayan long count with a December 21, 2012 completion. As the codex used in Guatemala indicates how cycles were observed by the Maya. This codex instructed that a count begin with the July 11, 1991 solar eclipse before observing the first full moon after the first anniversary of the eclipse.

Euro-American concepts of time and astronomy cannot be used to interpret the Native American timekeeping system. The two systems represent radically different viewpoints of perception, or paradigms.

Has nothing to do with the subject, just some information in which I was wrong in the first place...

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Answers...

kmguru,

Very Advanced Civilizations can't cope with war. If they are really advanced enough even to travel faster than light, using other dimensions, they surely don't have wars for a looooong time. Otherwise they would have exploded themselves into pieces in OUR stage of evolution... and we know that they passed through our stage of evolution because they arrived here at Earth.
    The Truth is allways stranger than fiction... can you imagine atoms? The Truth is pretty weird...

and you don't know what I thing about it... than you would see that is REALLY weird!!!

Mr. G,

Sort of...

No... it's not what I meant. I meant that we should sometimes stop our lifes, relax, be in communion with Nature... and know ourselves better by shuting our brain of sometimes... just for some minutes...

Answer: You...

I will answer this one for Banshee...
    Why do you think you have more right to judge people than anyone else? Who do you think you are? We are all sometimes wrong, sometimes right. We all have 50% to get right and 50% to get wrong...
    Accept your imperfections... and find peace in Yourself...

Blessings,
    Nelson

23. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I do not think I have more right to judge than anyone else. I think I have as much right to judge as anyone else. As I think anyone has the right to judge as much as me.

I support judging.

I abhore the silly notion that judging is not the universal right of everyone except those entities deemed specially suited to judge the rest of us without first having been democratically elected to the task.

I am my own person. I do not require the permission of others to be what I choose.

Who are you? Judge?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2002