suicide

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by BigHead, Apr 4, 2011.

?

can anyone anywhere benifit by your being alive? a posative word? a helping hand?

1. yes

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. maybe

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I dont care about anyone but myself

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

some evidence please
    must i remind you that this is a science forum?
    post a pic

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Haven't you seen enough pictures of me to know the harsh reality of my decaying splendour?

But see how nice I am, as a person:
    http://vampirefreaks.com/VJAHVEC

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Seems that you might want a fresh intake of blood.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Your decaying splendour is better than mine ever was, and you don't have to put up with all the loose skin.

Edited to add...how did we go from suicide to sex in one thread?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well if people didn't have to put up with so much crap just to get a little sex maybe there would be less desire for suicide.

:shrug:

9. BigHead Registered Member

Few things to note, this post wasn't about medical situations and doctor assisted suicide. its not about my crappy spelling. and its not about me being preachy, it is about suicide in regards to people going thru emotional termoil or mental illness, all I wanted to do was share a thought I had years ago when I thought I wanted to die, an even when the thought pops up time to time these days. one day it hit me, im not gonna miss my chance to die, there is always a time to die, an for some reason that help me move on. the idea that no matter how bad it gets it cant last forever, and who knows things may improve. and these days when I have a thought like that, the first thing in my head is my baby, imagining what she would go thru becouse of me, an thats when I realize I cant ever do it it would be the most asshole selfish thing.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Many years ago I had a friend. He ran a construction business in a very rich area of upper Westchester, New York. "Two pack Lou" I called him because it got to the point of where I knew he needed his two packs of Marlboro Lights. He would pull his car up to the door and give me the look and I knew he needed his two packs... he was the only guy I offered a drive through service to. Of course it all went on his tab which he would pick up every 7-10 days... it was a service we both appreciated- me for the business and him for the convenience.

Anyway. One Tuesday night he comes in before closing to get his two packs and a coffee. He asks me to tally up his bill which I do and he pays it. "I don't owe you anything else?" he asks, "no Lou, we're square."

He went home and blew his brains out. I was called the next morning by the State Police to personally inform me at home as everyone knew we were tight. "Lou is no longer with us..."

Turns out he ran his company into the ground and owed hundreds of thousands of dollars to a bunch of people for monies recieved and services not performed.

I was content with believing he took the easy way out- instead of owning up to his fuckups, he blew his brains out.

Always bothers me, the whole deal- because I was one of the last people he saw.

Me personally? I attempted suicide for real once. A lot of strange stuff happened to me and I came to the next day.

I can understand the problem Lou faced and the decision to end it all. It ultimately boils down to your perception of reality not being in line with actual reality.

Suicide is a serious topic that needs serious attention. And I thank everyone who reached out to a stranger (me) to try and help me. Suicide is a long, dark road one goes down with little to no light at the end of the tunnel. And while there may be good reasons for it, ultimately one's suicide affects the people around you- the people left behind who ponder why.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

jmpet,

people on this forum think you're contemplating it right now because of the thread you left about joining the ship.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

There is direct connection between thoughts and feelings. This due to the way memory is created. The creation of memory requires an interaction with the limbic system which has a connection to emotions. The limbic system is sort of like the arm on the harddrive which read/writes to memory. It is not done that way literally, but without these core regions of the brain memory won't form.

If I think about something postive, I will feel postive. On the other hand, if I wake up with a positive feeling or mood, the first throughts that will enter my mind will have a connection to this positive emotional valence. An optimist tries to maintain a positive feeling, that is reflecred in their positive thoughts. If he is down, he thinks about something nice and his feelings come back again. The pessimist has a constant negative feeling, therefore their thoughts will have a negative association. There is a simple cause and effect, with the loop activatd from either thought or feeling.

If I gave you a drug that could induce a negative feeling, I could get your thoughts moving in the same direction as that emotion. A drug that induces paranoia will cause fearful thoughts to appear in the mind, which if not moderated could amplify the fear; bad trip. If you continued to reinforce these thoughts after the drugs wears off, the negative thoughts could reaactive the negative feelings that drug had induced artificially.

The thoughts and feelings of suicide set up a dual loop, where negative thoughts induce negative feelings, which then induce negative thoughts, which induce negative feelings, etc. until the chemical seepage from the limbic is like a constant leak of brown water. Drugs can help by altering the chemical composition. We can also break the loop with talking, helping to shift thoughts to thoughts with a postive valence (you have a lot to live for). This can alter the chemical output composition by attacking the dual loop from the thoughts side.

The reason the brain forms these dual loops is because it is a very efficient way to store memory. The dual loops of emotional chemical valance and thoughts allows memory to be stored in layers.

A good analogy is painting a circle with words of various of colors that all appear to overlap making it hard to read. The emotional valence is like rose colored glasses which filter out some of the colors, certain colored letters stand out better. This allows focus on that layer, while also allowing use to use the entire brain's capabilities. With suicide, the color lense of negative feeling reveals a very dark layer in the mind. This layer, like any layer has full access to all the brain components, such as imagination, sensory systems, such that it apears to the person this layer is all that they are and can expect to be. You shif the emotion or though, the color of the filter changes revealing a new layer.

Born again feelings that some suicidal get, is another layer. Although this is less negative, you really need to be able to cycle through the many layers to be fully objective to all the data.

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Consideration for those we leave behind. Yes, there is that. But if they really care about you, and don't want you suffering, they should understand shouldn't they?

You say “no matter how bad it gets it can't last forever”. Well forever don't sound bad to someone that's not suffering. But if you are in a great deal of pain even a short timers attitude can be way to long. The fact that you can't do it now just means you aren't suffering enough yet. I've often wondered if having reasons to live allows one to suffer more pain? I'm sure it does, but even that has to have it's limits.

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

In my experience...when I'm low enough to think about offing myself, it hurts about as bad as having someone I was very close to die, except that there's also a feeling of heaviness, exhaustion, confused thought...a reduction in the intensity of colors that I see, and a constant feeling of self-loathing. Also love doesn't feel real anymore.
    That and every minute drags out-time perception stretches so that the internal agony feels like it goes on forever.
    And then I do whatever it is I need to do to beat it back-and I start feeling sane and okay about my oxygen habit again.
    (Yes, my belfry is definitely bat country lately.
    I really need to work on a better solution for that...)

If I were to compare it to physical pain, I'd say somewhat worse than a regular fracture, not quite as bad as a compound one.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I haven't thought about doing myself for a very long time, but when I was in my 20's I suffered from cluster headaches, and I have to tell you, pain doesn't get a whole lot worse than that. Especially that part about thinking it's going to be that way for the rest of my life. Fortunately things got better in my 30's. I almost didn't make it more than once. One big problem with headaches is the doctors don't consider it bad enough to give good drugs. But I did get a shot of morphine once after being delayed by a placebo first. Damn! Those doctors anyway. Morphine was one of the only things that worked.

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I get migraines. Not quite sure what the difference between migraines and cluster headaches are, but migraines hurt.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Cluster headaches are considered a form of migraine. Attacks come in clusters, on a bad day I could have up to a dozen or more intensely painful headaches usually on the left side that would last from 30 min to a couple of hours depending on what drugs I had to take and how soon I could take them when I felt one coming on. Then I needed to be anywhere I could be alone, because I couldn't stand for anyone to see me in that much pain, when there was nothing they could do to help.

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

My migraines are preventable. It's only if I don't have some sort of OTC painkiller that they build over a couple of hours to the icepick-in-the-eyeball level, plus nausea...usually not to the point of throwing up.
    Unfortunately, I have very little problem sharing. If I'm at work I just do my job minimally and moan. Guess I'm just not that dignified.

But it's a slow build.
    In your case it sounds like someone taking an invisible baseball bat to your head daily. Yuk.
    They put people on antiseizure meds for prevention of this stuff now, if you're bad enough.

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I actually found out what was causing my problem. Back in the hippy hay day, everyone burned incense mostly for the obvious reason, and it turns out I have a very bad reaction to it. Once incense is burned in a house that smoke settles every where, and back then some places I went burned it every day. Also I had a roommate that use to light off incense bombs. You might think making that connection should have been easier and quicker than it was. But in my 30's my life style changed enough to phase me out of that environment slowly so that I could not make that connection until I was not getting any headaches for several years. Then I started dating a woman that had some incense burning when I went to visit and after about 30 minutes started feeling that characteristic headache coming on. It was an easy connection to make at that time and I tested it to be sure, then I passed that finding along to my doctor. Haven't had one of those headaches sense.

20. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Incense smoke is full of nasty stuff, including potent carcinogens. Thai monks, who do not smoke tobacco, nevertheless have an extremely high rate of lung cancer. Guess why.

21. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

When I was a preteen, my father told me that some people make the world a better place, others make it worse, & many have little effect.

He said it would be nice if you became a Nobel prize winner, a world class athlete, or a famous celelbrity. All I ask it that you be one of those who make the world a better place for having been here. You can do this by doing the following.
    Get a productive job and do it well enough to be worth the salary they pay you.

Do not lie, cheat, steal (he did not mention murder, because it never occurred to him that I would consider it). Furthermore, do not excuse those who do.

Keep your promises and be loyal to family, friends, mistresses, wives.

Try to never do anything you would be embarrassed to tell me about.​
    I think I did a pretty good job of living up to what he expected.

BTW: On the issue of suicide, I had a causal girl friend who attempted suicide. Many years after we parted ways after college, we met accidentally and went out to dinner.

I mentioned that she seemed a lot more in control of her life than when I had last seen her. She had always seemed to be shy and/or to have a poor self image.

She told me that while in college and afterwards she had been seeing psychologists, psychiatrists, & other types due to having some serious emotional problems. No advice or therapy helped her. She decided to commit suicide by tying weights to her waist and jumping into a river. A fisherman saw her take the leap & managed to save her.

She became horrified when she could not breathe and started to lose consciousness. Her instinct to live was triggered. She said that after that experience, she decided that none of her emotional problems were so bad that she would ever want to die before her time. It was the start of her becoming a well adjusted person, which took a few years & was not aided by any type of therapy.

After hearing her story I came to the conclusion that some agency should cater to those who express a desire to commit suicide. They should be taken up in an airplane & equipped with a parachute (perhaps after being giving some advice on how to use it). They should be allowed to jump out of the plane. Those who do not pull the rip cord are either too stupid to live or else they really want to commit suicide. Those who pull the rip cord are likely to recover as did my friend.

22. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Yeah- I am 41, crushed and destroyed and flattened from a divorce and am a hollow shell of what I once was. I take more pills than either of my parents, have already had cancer and sometimes shit and vomit blood. My body is ruined and will be destroyed in five years.

So what was that about a bright, happy tomorrow?

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would say the best you can hope for is a happy moment from time to time depending on how good the dope (medication) your doctor is giving you is, and as long as you can manage to have these happy moments hang in there and keep asking for better drugs. If you completely lose your sense of humor I won't tell you not to find a way to end it sooner than waiting to the bitter end.