Superficial Question threads are stupid

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by spuriousmonkey, Apr 28, 2004.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

'Superficial question' threads are stupid
    (it is just an opinion, don't get upset).

What kind of information is conveyed by asking:

M or F?

What is your age?

Aren't we forgetting location to make the good old chat room ASL complete?

-------------------------

The question is really if we can learn anything about a person by asking him (or her) a question?

Any suggestions?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well...the internet is a silly thing really. We can't tell the gender/sex/race of someone from what they type in everyday conversation. So I would guess that having threads about this will help clear things up. I'm a bit fed up of writing 's/he means this' and 'him/her thing does that'.

I feel that having a little background information about various members helps us more as a community. Sure we have a surplus of village idiots but I find these threads somewhat useful at times.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ok, I can understand that, but wouldn't other questions be more suitable for that particular purpose?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Can you give some examples?

How about a thread were you have to answer a couple of questions i.e. Gender, age, nationality, current country of residence, etc, etc
    This could be better than lots of threads.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think that all these questions are too superficial.

I started thinking about this topic when I had to meet the sister of my new girlfriend. She started interrogating me by firing questions at me. None of these questions would reveal anything about my personality although they do look good on paper, such as:

-what kind of books are your reading
    -where are you from
    -in which city where you born (which I answered with: are you acqainted with all the cities in Holland - she being not Dutch).
    -what would be your ideal country

I became aware that any answer given to these questions would not give a real clue to my personality. I therefore decided to give her a clue to my personality by refusing to answer most and demanding explanations on why she asked particular questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2004
  9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Spurious, she should have asked:

-When was your last drinking binge?
    -Do you like Ann Coulter?
    -Do you cry at movies?
    -Do you have acid flash backs?

That's what I would of asked. And yes, I agree, those threads are stupid.

Oh, and, 21/m/ky u!?

-- The Grand Dragon Gizzard

(Notice that all of the threads are in Free Thoughts.)

10. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

perhaps she's just trying to get to know you, or perhaps you are just one boring MOFO and she's trying to pass time, or she cannot think of any thing more intresting to talk about

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

BTW: is this thread not also a superficial question?

12. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

So, what do you propose? A huge set of questions and an Interview section?

those age and gender question threads.... not many participate in those polls, so the info is not really relevant. (hint: there could be many more females posting here! and many more australians!

)

13. Padma Spankologist Registered Senior Member

. Spurious:
    Yes, superficial, okay, what ever. None of us use our profiles to our benefit, myself included. If we were to enter all of our information it would undermine our desire to keep some sort of anonymity. Understand? Yes, you do. The majority of people asking these questions are young and a lot of us don’t mind answering their questions. It is simple curiosity and is really harmless. I like you, so don’t get too upset, but if you think the threads are lame then don’t respond. Just ignore it. Okay?

On another topic, did it ever occur to you that your girlfriend's sister loves her very much and wants to make sure you won't treat her sister like crap? It was very disrespectful of you to stop answering questions. If you have siblings or close friends are you not interested in whom they are dating? Do you want to protect them and make sure they aren’t dating some kind of freak? You are smart, and I know you understand what I’m writing. Just be patient with your girlfriend’s family, she will love and respect you more for doing so.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, I'm not anonymous. Look up my domain name in whois. Check my resume at spuriousmonkey.com/tummers.html
    I learned the hard way that there is no such thing as being anonymous on a forum or the internet.

15. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

So spurious, how would you describe yourself?

- is that better?

16. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

spurios r u hot?
    i like horsies.

17. Padma Spankologist Registered Senior Member

"Just be patient with your girlfriend’s family, she will love and respect you more for doing so."

I guess you skipped reading this part of my quote. Being a girl your age (exactly 1 month younger) I know what I'm talking about...the "love and respect you more" part. BTW, I wasn’t trying to be an asshole when I wrote my original response to your thread.....OKAY?