Superstring Theory Predicts Emergence of 3+1 Dimensional Universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Trippy, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Further reading:
    Expanding (3+1)-dimensional universe from a Lorentzian matrix model for superstring theory in (9+1)-dimensions
    Expanding universe as a classical solution in the Lorentzian matrix model for nonperturbative superstring theory.
    I had a brief debate whether to post this here or in P&M, as it's one o fthose stories that blurs the line between them.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jim S Registered Senior Member

Sure enough, it's all clear to me now.
    My Gramma used to knit doilies just like that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wlminex Banned Banned

"If one goes far enough back in time, space is indeed extended in 9 directions, but then at some point only 3 of those directions start to expand rapidly. This result demonstrates, for the first time, that the 3-dimensional space that we are living in indeed emerges from the 9-dimensional space that superstring theory predicts.

1) "If one goes far enough back in time . . ." Really? or hypothetically?
    2) "space is indeed extended in 9 directions . . ." Really? or hypothetically?
    3) "This result demonstrates . . ." Really? or hypothetically?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Did you ready any of the stuff I linked to? Or the title of the thread for that matter?

8. wlminex Banned Banned

NOPE . . . . haven't looked at your links yet . . . just taking posted your statement as 'your gospel' (belief) and commenting . . . . Have a nice day! (Note the 'civility'?)

9. wlminex Banned Banned

ps/ . . . looked at your Post #1 "links" (and actually understood them!) . . . . my Post #3 still stands . . . ./wlminex

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I can tell, do you want to know how I can tell?

What's the title of the thread?

It's: "Superstring Theory Predicts Emergence of 3+1 Dimensional Universe". Therefore the thread (and the articles) are discussing the prediction of string theory, thus we have context for these statements:
    Now, within this context, which you yourself admit you have failed to follow (by reading the content behind the links), we can rephrase these to demonstrate them within the context of the discussion (IE the thread title) and the context of the other supporting material provided (the links), heck, even within the context of the snippet you yourself quoted (I'll get to that in a minute):

Rephrased as such, your questions have the apperance of disingenuity and trolling, or at least a level of prose literacy that falls far below what one should reaosnably expect of someone claiming to have a PhD, even if it is in Geology.

The answer to the questions, when one is able to retain context, is fairly trivial. The answer is 'Really' because these really are predictions made by string theory. Whether or not they will be born out (for example, space becoming 9D in the very early universe) is a matter of ongoing reasearch.

Now, I believe I mentioned about the context within the snippet you quoted. Here again is the snippet you quoted:
    "If one goes far enough back in time, space is indeed extended in 9 directions, but then at some point only 3 of those directions start to expand rapidly. This result demonstrates, for the first time, that the 3-dimensional space that we are living in indeed emerges from the 9-dimensional space that superstring theory predicts."

And here its with the relevant context emphasized:
    "If one goes far enough back in time, space is indeed extended in 9 directions, but then at some point only 3 of those directions start to expand rapidly. This result demonstrates, for the first time, that the 3-dimensional space that we are living in indeed emerges from the 9-dimensional SPACE THAT SUPERSTRING THEORY PREDICTS."
    In other words, even within the portion you quoted, the third part of the second sentence implies that the entire paragraph is discussing the predictions of suprestring theory, so all we're left with is your inability to understand what you're reading.

Nowhere did I comment on my personal beliefs. The only thing you commented on was an out of context misrepresentation that you used to construct a strawman hypothesis, and it was that strawman you commented on.

11. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

It sounds wrong, it looks wrong, and I think it's because they have made time reach out from a point. The direction of time from a point will miss out 3 dimensions. There should be 12, + 1 from all spacial areas, not 9 + 1 from 1 spacial area. It's simple, it's the kissing problem. LHC, and particle counts 6 quarks, 12 leptons, 12 anti-leptons. It's all based on the kissing problem.. 12 dimensions + 1 from a point. String theory is a way to complicate the simple. Who needs a super-computer when you have a brain?

12. wlminex Banned Banned

Gustav: now you see what I am getting-at in my "Civility - Please!" thread. AN: now see why it is sometimes more useful to post "one-liners"?

After all . . . my post #2 was three queries with comments to Trippy's Post #1 . . . never was mentioned in my post #2 regarding Trippy's belief or non-belief in the SS predictions . . . that was mentioned in a follow-up to Trippy's snide post #4.

So . . .Trippy . . . . while it is evident that the cited 'predictions' are "real" (generated by a supercomputer), and the thrust of my comments were directed at the 'predictions' I am not yet convinced that the predictions will be (as you stated above) borne-out as "FACT". Supercomputer predictions do not necessarily represent reality . . . only that the program source code produced a predictable result. BTW: I prefer analog (actual, working, testable models, using real data) to digital models that predict based only on unproven presumptions that are built into the digital model.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Off topic. If you have an axe to grind, please refrain from doing so in this thread.

I'm going to be polite, and call this confused, and make the point that, once again, the problem here is your comprehension, not my clarity. Nothing in my post states or implies what you appear to be suggesting here. I address your followup post by addressing your first post. All posts are properly referenced, becaus unlike some other's on this forum, I've figured out how to use copy and paste to do that.

And once again we come back to your lack of prose literacy as the source of the problem.

Nothing I have said suggests that they are facts. The article does not present them as facts, it is ONLY your disingeuine misrepresentation by presenting the statements out of context that presnts them as facts.

When they are presented within their correct context, IE the context of:
    1. The paragraph that I originally quoted
    2. This thread
    3. The original article, linked to in the OP

It is clear (or should be clear) to anybody with at least average prose literacy, that those 'facts' as you call them, are predictions made by superstring theory, and are only presented as such.

Now kindly stop trolling this thread.

BTW: I prefer analog (actual, working, testable models, using real data) to digital models that predict based only on unproven presumptions that are built into the digital model.[/QUOTE]

14. wlminex Banned Banned

It is clear (or should be clear) to anybody with at least average prose literacy, that those 'facts' as you call them, are predictions made by superstring theory, and are only presented as such.

. . . I think THAT is pretty much what I said . . . .

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Liar.

The permanent written record suggests otherwise.

16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Freakin' excellent article Trippy! I am curious as to why you posted a picture of the Lie group E8 however?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Thanks.

:Shrugs:

Because it was the closest thing to a relevant image I could find? (Help me out here, I'm 'just a chemist').

If you can direct me to something more relevant?

18. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

A Calabi Yau manifold would habeas.been more appropriate as it is the structure 6 dimensional space usually takes jn strong theory.

And wlminex, your one liner didn't focus anyone's attention, it incited a lengthy rebuttal because you displayed dishonesty and intellectual laziness. If this thread had been in the physics forum I would have given you an infraction for trolling. Asking questions because by your own admission you didn't read what you quoted from IS trolling. Keep that in mind.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I wondered about that, and almost went with the manifold, but decided on the lie group instead.

Heh.

Oh well, fixed ^_^

20. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Damn it, this autocorrect mobile spell check is just awful. Honestly, who says habeas more often than have?

21. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

If you've never seen it before you're going to love this. Say goodbye to the rest of the week.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh hahaha. Looks like Alpha beat me to it :3.

p.s. @wlminex, I agree with everyone's assessment about your lame attempt to troll real science.

23. wlminex Banned Banned

CC: "p.s. @wlminex, I agree with everyone's assessment about your lame attempt to troll real science."

. . . and your 'point' is . . . ? (<---a bit of humor here!)