Surfer’s ear provide fossil evidence of an aquatic phase in Man’s early evolution

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by CEngelbrecht, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

https://publishing.rcseng.ac.uk/doi/full/10.1308/rcsann.2017.0162

Aural exostoses (surfer’s ear) provide vital fossil evidence of an aquatic phase in Man’s early evolution
    PH Rhys Evans, M Cameron

For over a century, otolaryngologists have recognised the condition of aural exostoses, but their significance and aetiology remains obscure, although they tend to be associated with frequent swimming and cold water immersion of the auditory canal. The fact that this condition is usually bilateral is predictable since both ears are immersed in water. However, why do exostoses only grow in swimmers and why do they grow in the deep bony meatus at two or three constant sites? Furthermore, from an evolutionary point of view, what is or was the purpose and function of these rather incongruous protrusions?

In recent decades, paleoanthropological evidence has challenged ideas about early hominid evolution. In 1992 the senior author suggested that aural exostoses were evolved in early hominid Man for protection of the delicate tympanic membrane during swimming and diving by narrowing the ear canal in a similar fashion to other semiaquatic species. We now provide evidence for this theory and propose an aetiological explanation for the formation of exostoses.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Uh, 27 years ago, isn't recent, how about any recent developments. Never mind I don't care.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Paper is 2017.

No surprise there.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You do realize that sometimes the majority is right? The earth is not really flat. Not going with the majority in cases like this does not make you a rebel or an open minded person - it makes you an idiot.

The aquatic ape conjecture is not supported by the majority because it is a stupid idea.

8. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Again, as Bruno said (before he was burned alive for not shutting his fucking mouth): Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.

About as stupid as the Earth moving around the Sun, sure.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

I can't expect you to actually read banned volumes, but what would it take before you would recognize, that this beach ape suggestion is at least reasonable? Phillip Tobias' support sure wasn't enough.

10. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

11. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Why does it have to be some bullshit competition?

12. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

The majority think, they know what this idea is about: Some nonsense about dolphin apes and mermaids. And the keepers of free science are not exactly rushing to correct them and summarize, what it's actually about and has always been about: A perfectly reasonable beach ape. 'Cause with that concept, suddenly everyone stops laughing. And they're not supposed to stop laughing. So they don't tell you what it's about, instead, they just keep waiving that Piltdown skull in front of you. If they did, they suddenly couldn't make you understand, why it's laughable. So for your convenience, they paint Charles Darwin as a chimp all over again, otherwise you'd risk seeing, that this idea is simply an inconvenient truth for their fraternity.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A small community of swimmers doesn't imply an aquatic phase in mankind's evolution. Stick with the science.

14. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

A community of skiers wouldn't suggest that we're a snow ape either. But contemporary sports communities is not exactly what this splash-splash nonsense is founded on.

Sorry, it doesn't appear the scientific method applies on this heretical issue. Ockham's Razor has sure been pissed out the window a long time ago. To make the fully terrestrials scenarios stick, it's perfectly allowed to add on assumption after assumption after assumption after... 'Cause water is simply not. There is to be no Nullius in verba here. Ever.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

He's left that behind a long time ago. He's a True Believer in the aquatic ape religion, and he gets very, very angry if you question his beliefs.

16. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

By all means, please do tell me, why we couldn't possibly have been that blasted beach ape two million years ago as Homo erectus, considering that the traits that sets us so firmly apart amongst the other apes, otherwise our closest genetic cousins, have all these analogies in other mammal groups, that are either aquatic, semiaquatic or past semiaquatic.

I've been dying for a straight answer to that very question for decades now, so I can finally let go of my lunacy. Just give that to me, and I'll be a good little doggy and declare it doesn't move.

17. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

"An aquatic Ape is a likely ancestor of humans in terms of primate behaviour, marine ecosystems and geophysical timing."
    - Prof. Derek Ellis, Dept. of Biology, Uni. of Victoria, Canada

"All other theories about the origin of our species have reached an impasse."
    - Dr. Michel Odent, author of 'Water and sexuality'

"An aquatic hypothesis offers far simpler explanations."
    - Dr. Chris Knight, author of 'Blood Relations'

"It is difficult to see how all the points assembled to back the Aquatic Theory can be explained away."
    - Dr. Desmond Morris, author of 'The Naked Ape'

"The aquatic hypothesis... cannot be eliminated yet."
    - Prof. Glyn Isaac

"We believe that this proposal [AAT] should be taken seriously."
    - Prof Michael Crawford, author of 'The Driving Force'

"[AAT] conforms to current theories of speciation better than the savannah origins model, and accounts for a number of diverse phenomena hitherto not seen as connected."
    - Prof. Graham Richards, author of 'Human Evolution'

18. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

I was taught in school about the tribunal against Galileo in Rome in 1632. How it was an abomination to free science to threaten a 70 year old lense maker with burning him alive if he didn't shut up about what goes around what. I was also taught the big lie, that today we cannot possibly commit such atrocities against great thinkers, 'cause we lean on the scientific method.

And here, I cannot see any difference. The originators of this splash-splash idea has been treated to the same stamp of herecy, to the same grotesque distortions of their writings for the sake of ridicule as creationists has done to Darwin for over hundred years. The truth simply isn't good enough, we have to twitch it to suit our agenda.

None of you know the details of this the finest idea in science for the last half century. None of you know that for decades, it has been much better supported by evidence than the Big Bang Theory. While the savannah scenario has nothing left.

And this arrogant, pigheaded ignorance just goes against everything I was taught in school. Please excuse me for losing my religion here.

19. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

But don't worry, you don't have to read any of this. You don't have to make up your own mind, just like you're told to. Nullius in verba doesn't apply. Keep on pissing on them giants and their graves.

20. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

QED.

22. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Nope. Never was. Quod erat neglectum, is all it ever was.

23. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.