Surfing the internet on a kindle

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm away from my computer and am using a kindle fire to surf the web. It's not bad. I'm actually doing pretty well with entering the text for this post. Does anyone else use I tablet?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i dont but i want to get one.
    ive been disappointed by the current products for sale so i have not bought one.
    i want something that is a computer & cell phone & router all in one with a screen wide enough to use as a normal keyboard.
    relatively robust, not too thick and less than $500.00 US$
    considering the new apple iphone X is probably made at a cost of about $100.00 US$ and sold for $1,500.00 US$
    i dont see my expectation as being too far off.

i refuse to line the pockets of greedy slash n burn marketeers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've done it. Once. Never again. I threw my kindle fire in the trash.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Awww, bummer dude.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have a bunch of books on my Kindle Fire, main thing I use it for, though I have surfed the web with it. I would much rather do that with this desktop I built, however.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have three other kindles, which are great, but just for reading.

9. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Does anyone know how to side-load pdf files from a computer into an Android device like a Kindle fire?

The black and white e-ink e-readers show up like usb drives and you can just transfer files into them, which display like books.

But that doesn't seem to be true with Android, at least as far as I know.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I have not tried this yet, but intend to: http://www.android.com/filetransfer

This is for Mac, btw. For Windows, this is the application:
    Windows Media Player 11

From here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201730100

Funny, I had wanted to do this a few months back, but could not find any possible solutions at the time.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i recall trying quite hard to avoid the forced upgrade to WMP11
    it had some nasty stuff in it.
    forced online publishing of your play lists and file matching etc etc... something like that
    plus it had a few video types codec removed forced file disassociations also etc.
    blocked the ability to load multi play codecs to also i think.
    all very nasty

i was not very happy with it at the time. i have long since stopped caring.

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Been using Macs for a while, but on PCs I abandoned MediaPlayer ages ago, for similar reasons. (On Macs, my only interaction with Ishit ever has been to remove it entirely--which is not at all as straightforward as it ought to be.)

For this purpose--transfer of larger files to Kindle Fire/Android device--there's undoubtedly alternatives to MediaPlayer.

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm noticing that the Silk browser opens new window every time I visit this site. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have to manually close them each time.

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I've found that I don't like tablets. They seem to combine the worst features of computers and cell-phones.

I want a real keyboard for typing, and I insist that it display my hundreds of pdf e-books, journal articles and stuff like doctoral dissertations. (I have enough reading material to last me for years, but my devices have to be able to hold my little library and display it.)

So I go with a laptop for e-books and the internet, and a cell-phone for well... phoning. Plus the convenience of having a little internet device in my pocket for checking the headlines and light stuff like that.

A tablet kind of occupies an awkward spot in the middle. It won't display my ebooks and I can't comfortably type on it.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

are you mad !
    have you completely lost all common sense and decency ?!

& it also doesn't fit in any pocket like a cell phone which puts it in a distinct different field.

see the folding screen technology looked like it has taken a big leap backwards.
    not surprising with global market saturation at sale price has just arrived.
    big leaps that will drive complete new market swap out sales like folding screens would be hotly protected and kept under wraps for as many decades as possible like an insurance policy against market competition market share take-overs.

this is where govt science agencies like nasa would come in to their own to be able to research it and put it into the market.
    85% of the world is controlled by monetary greed ecconomic social systems or cult religious fanaticism control.
    such is the way of things.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I purchased a phablet some months back. It's a phone and a tablet in one. My reason was that my eyes are going bad, so I needed the extra screen. At seven inches I can still squeeze it into my pocket, yet it's easy to read. I have a laptop for those rare occasions when I need to edit a video or run some other program, but I find myself mostly surfing or reading Kindle books. I think ninetyfive percent of the time I would be fine with a tablet or a Chromebook.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

what has not been mentioned in tech news is that there is an optimal size for a screen in correlation to the human structure.
    depth of vision & distance between eyes etc...
    size of hands, fingers etc etc...
    a screen that is at smallest the same size as a human face is probably a mandatory thing to avoid stressing the nervous system while using it.
    most soo in things like watching long play things, docos films etc .....
    the centre of comparative visual processing probably varys a little but could well do with some correlative study around baby reaction to facial imagery to find a centre for the visual coding matrix

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I have a laptop, a 10 inch tablet, an e-ink reader, and a smart phone, and use each of them mainly for different things.

For anything that demands more than a sentence or two of typing at a time, I use the laptop, with the exception of urgent emails that tend to get swipe-typed on the phone.

Reading ebooks on a laptop is a bugger to do in bed or on a train or something, so I use the e-reader for that.

The most common uses of the tablet are: reading the news, reading (but seldom writing) emails, checking the weather forecast, occasionally playing games. It sometimes gets used for web-based activities (never anything that requires typing lots of stuff - see above). My kids use it to play Minecraft. It's also useful for casting stuff to the TV.

The phone mostly gets used for email on the go, messaging, phonecalls (!), calendar and reminders, maintaining contact details, and taking photos. Occasionally, I use it for GPS and working out how to get to places.

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i see this all the time on sci-fi etc... but it appears to not be soo common as i thought it should be by now.

pointing and casting to a device inside a room for example.
    i would have thought it fairly easy. i am guessing the whole smart TV thing is being held up for some reason

20. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I've got all those too. I use them for different things, except that I find that I rarely use the tablet.

While I might read Sciforums on the cell-phone or the tablet (if I ever used it), I only participate with the laptop. (I'm using it right now.)

Yeah, me too. I like my e-ink e-reader (a Kindle at the moment, filled to the rim with e-books (most of which I didn't buy from Amazon) since my Kobo sadly died). Wonderful devices.

Except that I don't carry my e-reader wherever I go. I do carry my cell phone around a lot more. I'll typically check the news on my cell phone, especially if something exciting is happening. Riding on the commuter train up to San Francisco is boring, so I'll look at the internet on the cell phone while I'm sitting there. So the cell-phone is my mobile internet device and the laptop is my home internet device. (That sounds weird... Is the internet really so important that we need to stay constantly connected?)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

when entire fortunes are won or lost at the drop of a click, there is no time like the coming moment.
    fashions fade with fortunes made the next thing is the next million
    one payday for ever loaded against that which is yet to come
    faster than light is alright
    the city will take everything you have the moment you get it and make you feel like the number 1... for a moment
    and then its gone
    fleeting glory with fleeced gold and gory
    tales of best kept secrets to success selling the next moment into the coming credit apocalypse
    its all just for kicks

are you connected ?
    dont get rejected !
    buy it before everyone wants it and you will be set for life

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think that in some ways internet connectivity is becoming a kind of social crutch for some people. On public transport, for example, I think that staring at your phone (or pretending to stare at it) can be a way of avoiding making eye contact with other people, a way of creating the illusion of a sort of private personal space when you're surrounded by strangers.

I kind of worry about whether the internet-native generation (those who were born after about 1995, when the web really started taking off) might be missing more of "real life" than is healthy, by spending so much time on devices. Instead of looking out at the world, they are kind of looking into a limited bubble. The risk is missing out on the unexpected - never really seeing the diversity of other human beings, and also to an extent becoming insulated from the everyday natural world.

On the other hand, no doubt some would say that I'm an old fogey complaining about "kids these days".

23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

"don't look at them your only inviting an attack"
    "don't look at them your only inviting them to try and sell you something"
    "don't look at them your only inviting them to verbally assault you with their mental illness"
    "don't look at them, they have power and will attack you for looking at them"
    |"don't look at them your only inviting sexual attack"
    nothing imaginary about it in many cultures.