Survey: Language

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Pollux V, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Like my sophoclesish counterpart, I too need an interview for an ongoing project. However I, unlike him, completely forgot

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

1) Do you believe that any species other than the human race has used written language? Why/Why not?

2) In your opinion, do some animals use complex communication?

3) If we had not taught sign language to various species of apes, would they have learned to speak to each other on their own?

4) Should human beings teach language to other species? Why/Why not?

5) Do you believe that to be at least somewhat versed in English should be a requirement for all children now or soon?

6) If you didn't know English, would you attempt to learn it?

7) Based on your knowledge of the world, is English the most widely used language (based on the amount of people that used it compared to other languages?

8) If so, why do you think it became as popular as it is today? Were there multiple factors?

9) If not, what language is more widespread, and were there multiple factors in its expansion?

10) If you speak another language, what was your inspiration to do so?

11) If English became the only language for mankind, would it be a good or bad thing? Would it be better if it were another language?

Thanks, if you want your name to be involved, please sign it. If not you'll just become another unquoted reference...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

1. No. We haven't found any remains of it, if it ever existed. No proof.

2. Yes, whales and dolphins communicate over distances of miles using that echo-stuff...whales use songs to communicate...elephants use ultra-low frequency sounds to communicate across hundreds of miles i've heard. Plus, chimps have alot of noises for communicating, and many faces. So, sure.

3. In what way? Apes communicate already. But speak to eachother on their own in the sense we've taught them? I don't see why they would...the way they naturally communicated suited them fine.

4. We should, as long as that species wishes to do so. Why? We could learn from them..they could learn from us. For people that dont like people, it would offer a conversation alternative.

5. No, i don't think a language should be pressed upon anyone. English is really useful though..so they should be able to elect english classes if they so choose.

6. Yes, i would attempt to learn english..simply because it's really super useful. Plus, i plan on learning a bunch of languages...if my mothertongue wasn't english, i don't think that would change me. I'd still want to learn a bunch. If you know what i'm saying.

7. Not the most widely used as a 1st language. As a second or third, yes. Statistics show this...World Almanac.

8. It became popular because of British rule in different colonies etc. And, english speaking countries became large economies, which made it even more necessary/useful to know the English language.

9. Er. Chinese has one billion+ speakers who use it as a first language...plus thousands more who know it as a second language. It's not very widespread though. Arabic is. From South America across Northern Africa through Middle East, Mediterranean,a little bit in Russia, parts of southeastern Asia.

10. Conversational in spanish...fluent soon i hope. Why? Offered by my school starting in 7th grade. It was that or french. I took it at first because i know it's useful and marketable and good "for collegeeee." I stick with it because i think it's a very beautiful and useful language. I know some small ammounts of russian..my motivation for this is..i dunno. I just picked up a book and wanted to learn it i guess.

11. I believe in multilanguage..ism. So no. Besides, it wouldn't happen. Too many people identify their language as part of their culture. People take pride in their mothertongue language. Even if English is made the only legal language, and everything else is outlawed...some people would still speak it/learn it, in defiance of the people that say they can't do so, and because it's taboo. You know what i mean?

Okay hope i helped!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Yes. Bears climb up against trees in Winter to leave claw marks high on trees, so that in Summer it looks like a very large bear lives in the area. This is to keep away other bears. This is a written message with a clear meaning.

Google it. Cephalopods use very complex communication.

I hear whalesong changes every year, all around the world at the same time, as though they operate by a schedule.

They already do speak to each other. That's what is happening when they make noises and facial expressions at each other.

1) They already have languages. Ants, for example, communicate through chemicals, and bees through motion, dogs through expression and body posture and noises...

2) If you mean "Should we teach to other animals a language we humans can use?" then I think not. Far better to use software to interpret what they are alreayd saying in their own languages.

No. I like having different languages around the place. English may be the most common language, but if is taught in all schools, it may eradicate other languages.

Yes, as it is the international language.

Yes. It may not be the most widespread native tongue, but when adding English as a first language and English as a second or third or whatever laguage, it far outstrips all others.

• The spread of the English empire around the globe and its dominance as the French faded.
    • The constant bombardment of USA television and movies and their numerical dominance of the internet.
    • The use of English as the itnernational language in fields such as international radio communications procedures.

Answered.

I was learning my ex-girlfriend's native tongue for a while.

The good: We could all communicate with each other.

The bad: I like variety, I like keeping the past alive.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Do you mean on Earth or aliens from space? Because Im sure that apes, if taught well enough, could write.

Yes. Maybe when my cat meows she saying "Pick me, take me over there..."

Maybe. If all of you atheist really believe in evolution then shouldn't they, be speaking that is.

No. Let them learn how to do it for themselves... Besides, my cat has seen my doing things...

Well, I saw on CNN a report about how all of these old languages are on the way out... Maybe we should, but that scares me, like startrek scary.

Only if I had to.

Id say so.

TV and movies. It's as simple as that.

I would like to learn how to speak German, only because my ancestors were german.

Bad. Language is an important part of culture.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone, it's much appreciated!

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No attachment?

This doesn't seem to be working. Here are the stats as of 1998:

Mandarin: 874,000,000
    Hindi: 366,000,000
    Englilsh: 341,000,000
    Spanish: 322,000,000
    Bengali: 207,000,000
    Arabic: 201,000,000
    Portuguese: 176,000,000
    Russian: 167,000,000
    Japanese: 125,000,000
    German:100,000,000

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Most people, when talking about the most widely spoken languages, take into account only native language, or what the main language is in various countries. They don't take into account that a huge number of Chinese, for example, also speak English, whereas very few Brits speak Chinese. English is the most widely spoken language in the world.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yes, Adam I was just going to point that out.

Thank you for the insight Fraggle!

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

13. 1) No. Animals such as tigers in India and bears in North America do leave markings that could be viewed as a writing. However, these markings do not constitute a coherent language or script like the one in which we are now exchanging ideas.

2)No. Communication, of course, but nothing more complex than "This is mine," or "Take that you meddlesome interloper!!!"

3)No. They didn't do so before we began to instruct them, so why assume they would now?

4)Yes. It would be amazing and increase the diversity and efficiency of society. Sentient and well educated Gorillas would prove to be excellent paid laborers.

5)In the USA, yes. In other countries . . . that's ludicrous . . . NO WAY!

6)Perhaps. This would be dependent upon my upbringing.

7)No. Mandoran Chinese is almost definitely the most common language (in my opinion).

8)Why is Mandoran Chinese popular? It's popularity is on account of its being the standard language of the most densly populated nation on earth.

9) ARGHHHH Look above

10)I can translate Latin . . . but I don't think that qualifies . . . School requisites "inspired" me . ..

11)This would increase our efficieny tenfold . . . it WOULD ROCK !!!

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Well, English is one of the official languages of India, for a start.

From the CIA World factbook:

USA
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html
    Another 280 million...

UK
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/uk.html#People
    Another 60 million...

Brazil
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/br.html#People
    176 million there, many speaking English...

Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Argentina... Pick a country. Most of them use English at least as a second language.

15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

16. flutterby Registered Senior Member

language survey

species other than the human race where? i demand proof! but if there were another species they would probably use some type of written language. it provides a way to record, to express at times what pictures can not, and to describe feelings of situations.
    absolutely. i have three dogs and a cat who all communicate. they can't write or talk in an english language but they do talk to each other. one dog will bark and bark for the others bone. the other must somehow know that he isn't trying to harm them that he only wants the bone or else wouldn't they fight aggressively?
    i think they would communicate in some way but maybe not in a way that we could understand.
    sure. but why assume that they would need to be taught? maybe they would already know how to communicate with us.
    children in america yes. but not all children around the world. in america i believe it is important that we recognize and respect all languages but also have english available and used.
    If I knew how many people in the world relied on the use of spoken and written english i would be inspired to learn it. i am inspired to learn more about mandarin chinese since so many people in the world use that language.
    no. mandarin chinese is the most used. english is the most widly spoken. the use of mandarin chinese is so high due to the population in that part of the world.

8-9) see #7

i wish i spoke another language. i had several classes of spanish in high school and can't remember much more than "donde esta es el bano?" so much for our educational system. that's for another topic.
    absolutely not. variety is the spice of life right! lets continue to have lots of languages. songs sung in spanish are so romantic and moving. does everything have to be like america?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003