Syndication?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by chromag, Mar 5, 2001.

1. chromag Registered Member

Just wondering whether the new format supports syndication of news items yet... I've been using the old one at http://www.exosci.com/exosci.rdf, but it hasn't been updated in a while - so imagine my surprise when I came by to see what was wrong and found that the site's being updated constantly, but the feed isn't.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

The RDF feed has been out of sync with the website for the last week, since we switched over to the new forum software.

It is a known issue and I'll fix it sometime soon.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chromag Registered Member

Okey, danke.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chromag Registered Member

it's going again!

Great! Thanks very much, Dave. Keep up the good work.

8. chromag Registered Member

Not working again...

Apparently the RDF feed has stopped being generated again - is this a known issue, and if so, when will you have the time to take a look at it?

9. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

No, the feed is working. The site itself hasn't been updated in a while. The future of exosci is not obvious to me right now.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Dave,

That sounds ominous. Are you making a distinction between Exosci and Sciforums?

Could you expand on your statement please?

I can probably help financially if that is an issue for you.

Cris

11. chromag Registered Member

Oh, OK, no wonder. I guess I coulda noticed that on my own.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, hope everything goes well for you and allows you to keep it up; it's really a well done, well thought site.

12. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Yes, there is a distinction between exosci and sciforums. Whatever happens, sciforums will remain.

I suppose it's a question of my motivation. I'm at the point in my life where I'm forced to reevaluate what is important to me and where my interests truly are. When I started the site, I was but a young student who was certainly interested in the natural sciences. Alas, a series of events disillusioned me and I now realize that my true interests lie in software engineering, information design, and user interface design. exosci is no longer aligned with my interests.

Now, it's a shame that money is involved at all, but it is. It's not a matter of scarcity at all. I really have no expenses in my life to worry about. However, the collapse of the internet advertising industry means that I'm getting essentially no compensation for the work I do for exosci. I could make more money by begging for money on a street corner (it's really that bad -- and it's worse for these dot-coms that actually have people to pay). And while money is not a very good determinant of a person's worth, salary certainly is an indication of how much society appreciates your work. It's difficult to justify taking time away from one's true interests without recompense.

exosci was always just a little hobby of mine. I did it on the side because I had time to spare, and it interested me.

Anyways, I'm going to California this weekend for a week. I'll be making some sort of decision upon returning.