Tartan Jackets: Now very rare or nonexistent in USA

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Dinosaur, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Until circa 1965, there was a store (Scot & Hunsinger) in Philadelphia, PA USA which sold Tartan plaid Jackets as well as other types of clothes.

I have not seen anyone wearing a Tartan jacket in USA for over 30 years.

When I recently wanted to purchase some Tartan jackets, I had to contact a store in Scotland.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Do a Google image search for "Don Cherry".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Is there an annual Renaissance Faire within driving distance of where you live? Americans of Scottish ancestry, and those who simply wax romantic about Scotland and the Scots, tend to flock at Ren Faires. So there are usually a few shops that cater to their tastes in clothing.

Here in Maryland, the Ren Faire sets aside one weekend as "Celtic Weekend," for Scottish and Irish shenanigans. But even on other weekends there are hordes of people who show up in Scottish garb.

If the shopkeepers don't have tartan plaid jackets in stock, I guarantee that they can get them for you at their store's year-round location.

My wife has some Scottish ancestry, although she's never tried to dress that way. My ancestors, on the other hand, were British, Jewish and Slavic. That means I probably have a little bit of DNA from practically every population on earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Try Pendelton.
    https://www.pendleton-usa.com/