Taxes. Why are we subsidizing or exempting religions that just lie to us?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Taxes. Why are we subsidizing or exempting religions that just lie to us?

All religions have their own Gods and be you a believer or not, you pay taxes to support them, ---- and all they return, except for a bit of social babysitting, ---- is lies.

Are you fed up with the Noble Lie of your governance and should these lying churches stop feeding from your wallet while your government use them against you?

I can appreciate some of the ancient logic for propagating churches and religions and the Noble Lie. I think that that logic no longer applies as our communication systems have become global and instant and churches are no longer required to supplement our social safety nets and that they have become superfluous and redundant.

Should your tax support for these lying churches and competing Gods be ended?

Are we bright enough to rid ourselves of the Noble Lie that we feed ourselves?

Why are you subsidizing religions that just lie to us?

Would you like to end churches and other tax exempt entities from taking your hard earned dollars and returning nothing or are churches still required in our modern societies?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hello

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Believe it or not, the reasoning behind tax exemption of churches was to maintain "separation of church and state." The ability for religions to assemble freely without government interference made sense at one point. I found that awfully odd when I read that, but from a fiscal perspective, I suppose that makes sense. From a moral perspective, it does not.

On a side note, I think churches are still required to pay property taxes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Never mind. I'm wrong about property taxes. All 50 states give property tax exemption to churches, as well.
    :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

It depends on the location. Some churches get away with more some with less from the public purse but whatever it is it is too much for us to pay to be lied to.

Regards
    DL

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

My taxes do not subsidize religion. I live in a legally secular nation, where the government does not fund churches or other religious institutions. It grants them tax-exempt status due to being charitable or non-profit organisations; but that is there, as said earlier, to separate government from religion. If government were involved fiscally, it could then determine what is a religion and what isn't, and repress the beliefs of others; a safeguard I would figure even atheists enjoy, since it prevents Christians from legally oppressing non-Christians.

10. Yazata Valued Senior Member

There's a difference between not taxing something and subsidizing it.

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...cost-of-religious-tax-exemptions-71000000000/

To say that non-Christians or atheists enjoy paying the tax burden of churches so that they can continue to lie to us is a false claim.

Christians do at present legally oppress people. Just look at what they do to women and gays.

That is what the lying churches are responsible for.

Regards
    DL

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Or paying to be lied to or not.

Regards
    DL

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, GREATEST I AM, it's high time to finally live up to your name and set things right!!

14. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

If you can't live up to your name, then give it up.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Amendment 1 of the US Constitution.

Simple solution to them feeding from your wallet - stop giving them money.

Nope. Fortunately they don't.

Sure. Fortunately they don't.