TCPA: The End of Computing Freedom!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by §outh§tar, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

At least they haven't merged it with the behavioural control implants, so everytime you try to bypass a password, share files or copy DVD's you get an electric shock.
    (I should patent that I idea, just to shelve it so they can't do it)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Lol... all the other distributions are worked on by this same group. Home users aren't exactly coding their own distribution. Half of my office can do some fairly complex things in windows. Installing on most distros is even a pain... at least finding the right type of package generally is.

I agree, it's fine if you are using a document editor, a browser, and other normal appplications. Want to do anything more and you require extra knowledge of how it works.

it's not there yet... and I doubt it would be. The developers for linux are the user base for linux. Being techinically oriented, they have a different set of needs and way of doing things than most users.
    It didn't work in the 1920's and it won't work now. Most people didn't buy grapes and yeast... the bought the result because they couldn't actually make the wine themselves.

The same thing would need to happen here... except that thanks to the DCMA the actually components are illegal as well (the chip and the instructions).

Sure, some people will get around it just like they did with cable/satalitte... but they'll be breaking a law which will unfortunately be enforced.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

@ Xerxes

Thanks for the Knoppix link. It looks interesting but I doubt the average computer user, which is probably the majority (those who just check their email, download songs, play games), will be swayed too easily.

It's all about GUI these days over efficiency. Hence MS Office 2003...

Is Knoppix the OS you use? Do you have any screenshots and any more specs? Like you said, if it's not compatible with majority of games, CD/DVD Burners and so on that definitely puts one off from making the switch.

I will see if I can find one around the web

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

to install along side my Win XP.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

8. shoffsta Geek Registered Senior Member

Stinks like microsoft,
    sounds like George Orwell,
    don't boycott computers, boycott window$!

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To tell you the truth I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this already occuring with new brands of software.

Simply put the Conspiracy is like this:
    A new brand of software is released (game, OS or whatever), the software has been written for drivers of "New" graphics cards, cards that you HAVE TO PURCHASE. Before you know it, your getting software for FREE but you having to update your Peripherals every other week to stay compatible with the new programs you've purchased.

(This BTW increases the amount of pollution from factories turning out multiple boards every other week, and people attempting to dispose of "Version 1 hardware" for the new updated "Version 2" which is compatible with upgraded software.)

If Consumerism was bad beforehand, it will be worse by the time they finish.

10. Facial Valued Senior Member

TCPA is disgusting.

11. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

When will people learn that opensource IS the only option that still has choices? From Workgroups to NT to 2K, .NET, all we see is the continuing trend of more control.

12. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

YEP ! ! ! !

THE GOOSE STEPPERS ARE AT IT AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! !

What have I been telling you people?

What needs to happen is for all (OF US) to get together and form a version of the National Rifle Association, to protect our rights (or get them back, in this case). But let me tell ya..........it's one damn difficult thing to keep the rights you already have, while it's a whole new ball game to get them back after some powerful group of media controlling huns have taken them away ! ! ! NO SH*T!

The only real advice that I can give to anyone, who believes in FREEDOM, is to spread the word, Far & Wide ! ! !

DAMN GOOD THREAD, SOUTHSTAR.

PS...check these sites out if you are in doubt...:

http://tuxedo.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/30/1524240
    http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,61341,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
    http://www.extremetopics.com/forums/
    http://www.ipjustice.org/CODE/
    http://methlabs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=371
    http://www.oreillynet.com/
    http://methlabs.org/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

That would go against the EU's anti pollution, pro recycling campaign they have going on, they would be able to be taken to court. Just like how smart cartridges were banned in Europe for pollution rather than competition laws.

I say we get together and form a webpage with an online petition that we then can print off and send to our relevant governments, the EU and America which are entertaining this idea. Im sure we could get 10,000 people to sign it with a bit of luck. Im not too sure though if they accept electronic obtained petitions and if they have to be in hand signed/written form. Anyone know?

We would need to set up a strong case against it then based on that case, get people to sign the petition or something, Im not quite sure, but what I am sure is we cant do nothing. The way the world is going, if we do nothing, itll more than likely be made law.

14. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

wow HOWARDSTERN, you are clearly insane.

15. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with the National Rifle Association..

16. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

Nah, I got the gist of this idea that the second amendment is here for us to make sure the government doesn't get 'uppidy'.

I mean... that worked fine when we had muskets and they had muskets; but now, they have apache helicopters and napalm. If Mr. Rumsfeld wants to come in, he's comming in.

It's a common fact that the founders were drunk when the wrote the second amendment anyway...

17. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

You are too late!

Soon our laptops and pda's will be giving us electro-shocks for trying to do illegal stuff. In time computer newbies will be trained via S and R schemes.

18. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I don't want to lose all freedom. Thay may even be able to make hacker-proof computers by allowing NO openings at all. We will lose the complete control we seem to ahve today.

19. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

LOL, there will never be hacker proof computers. If there is any functionality at all, it is vulnerable.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Linux to the rescue?

21. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

Alpha, i always say.

Computers are like a safe. Is someone can construct them then sure as hell someone can break into them.

22. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I can see some advantages for select applications. There's sensitive data on our computers at work, for example, and this would prevent people from getting it. It would also keep people from going on the net and playing games, something that produces a security hole. I can see government contracts for this, for this reason. You make this a card that just goes in, you install the software, and poof, we are much more secure.

Of course, the way access and maintenance works on our computers, Linux would also work, and probably cheaper, too.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Anyway Microsoft can't patent it, William Gibsons got the Copyright on systems that can be manipulated to kill or wound from hacking. read "Neuromancer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.