Teens and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by lillywilliam, May 29, 2009.

1. John99 Banned Banned

i am not doing that. i agree that marijuana is mild compared to heroin. that is something that is common knowledge.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

yes you are by saying;

that is not really much different from doing a small line of heroin.

how about putting it as taking some OTC cough syrup or a shot of whiskey
    or having a beer. :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

putting what as taking cough syrup etc.?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

oh good grief :bugeye:

8. John99 Banned Banned

this has been a very long thread. much longer than it should have been. it isnt right to post one line quotes with no context or even quotes from posts i never wrote.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

for whoever said its not possable to OD on THC how do you define "overdose"?

i ask because while i was doing my placement on the weekend another car was called out to an "acidental" (how can it be acidental when you do it?) OD on achole, THC and antidepressents. Now i turned to the ambos i was working with and asked them if you can even OD on THC and they said "you are OD'ing when you pass out" which is true. If you are not concious because of achole or THC or anything else then you cant protect your airway (compared to being asleep) and if your airway is compromised and no external intervention is provided to secure it then you die. Its as simple as that.

Compare to a heroin OD where the issue is breathing, ie your airway is probably clear but the respitory center of the brain has been depressed to an extent that isnt conducive to live

10. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

are you quoting someone or are you saying some weed is like doing a line of heroin ... ?

again.. I said I was sorry for mis-quoting you

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Although as a libertarian I am vehemently opposed to our country's unconstitutional laws about what we can do with our own bodies, I nonetheless do not advocate drugs for children. Their bodies, emotions, attitudes and habits are in development and they don't need the perturbation. That said, I have to jump in here because some of you are off base with your comments. I will once again recommend The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs to anybody who's wondering about the subject. It's still the most authoritative book on the subject because these days most of the research has been coopted by the government. Who's going to trust "information" from the people who told us that Saddam Hussein had WMDs and that subprime mortgages were good investments?
    There's a little truth to many hypotheses. The reason that marijuana may be a gateway to dangerous drugs is that because it's illegal, you have to buy it from the same people who sell those other drugs. This is one of the many second-order effects of drug prohibition that cause more harm than the drugs themselves.
    You must have read that in a book rather than riding in those cars to see what it was really like. Anyone who's done it will always choose the stoners. The impairment is much different. Alcohol makes people feel overconfident, aggressive and confrontational. Marijuana makes people feel patient, deferential and paranoid. That's a really big difference on the road. You can tell the drunks from the stoners by which lane they're in. The stoners are in the slow lane listening to the radio and watching out for cops.

And no, none of my comments necessarily apply to teenage drug use. They should not be allowed to either take drugs OR drive anyway.
    Another example of the pernicious second-order effects of prohibition. If marijuana users weren't persecuted they'd keep more of the stuff around, and without the black market prices they could afford to. Then they'd take it some other way than smoking. Tea, infusion, baking, vaporizer--these methods are much healthier but more wasteful. Now that it's easier and safer to obtain in California, people are shifting to healthier habits.
    I'm pretty sure we've had this debate before and apparently you've known a few one-percenters who had bad reactions--or perhaps poorly parented kids who were able to start smoking in high school. I know people who have been using (not smoking) pot for forty years and they're perfectly productive and successful.

You're not doing anyone a favor by making one of the more benign recreational drugs sound evil. Young people are already doing meth and other bad shit because A) Marijuana is really expensive, B) It's difficult to conceal because it's bulky and smelly, C) It shows up in a urine test a month later. You start telling them that marijuana is just as bad for them as the other stuff and they'll take more of the other stuff.

Marijuana is less harmful than tobacco (because you don't have to smoke it), and in many ways it's also less harmful than alcohol.
    Azzy, because of your occupation you always pop up with the most bizarre worst-case scenarios that completely muddle every discussion you join in. I go all the way back to when spliffs were called "reefers" and I lived in California in the 1960s and 70s where it seemed like everybody was high all the time. I have never in my life, not once, seen anyone "pass out" from marijuana. I'm sure it happens and that's when you guys get called and so you have your work-related tales to swap at the pub, but it's about as likely as being struck by lightning. I saw one person simply have a really bad reaction (first time, took too much) and had to go the the E.R. for detox, but she never passed out.

By the way, your example raises a good point. Judging from anecdotal evidence, the majority of "drug overdoses" involve combinations with alcohol. The authorities don't mention the alcohol because it's not illegal unless the victim was driving. From what I've read, all of the high-profile celebrity "drug overdose deaths," from Marilyn Monroe to Janis Joplin, were mixtures of illegal drugs with heavy concentrations of alcohol. Once you mix two drugs your reaction becomes unpredictable.

Again, this is a consequence of prohibition. Alcohol is cheap so people cut back on the grass and drink more. That's a bad combination because the psychoactive effects counteract each other in certain ways, so all you're really doing is blowing your own high and loading your body down with toxins.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um dude, the few times i did weed i ALWAYS past out. only did once on achole though

13. John99 Banned Banned

NO. you are misunderstanding what i posted. go back and use the entire quote.

14. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

so I guess you are the one saying high powered weed is like heroin.... thanks for clearing that up..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. John99 Banned Banned

of course not.

read asguards post. he had a bad experience as well. do you think people are making this stuff up? heroin is much worse than weed and as i said before that is just common knowledge.

16. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

your posts #22 & #24 ???reflects asgaurd later ???...oh ok

17. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

so you've done heroin then I take it .. where did you come up with this?

18. John99 Banned Banned

i clarified that statement already. the miscommunication here is that these things may only apply to certain people, afa how smoking effects them. i also understand your perspective.

19. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

bunch of smoke blowing ...and backpedaling

20. otheadp Banned Banned

I can tell you with 100% certainty that marijuana was one of, if not the biggest causes for my marks dropping like a rock in junior high school and high school.

It makes you lazy and stupid... temporarily stupid (while you're high, for the whole day afterwards, and most of the next day), but when you smoke often, then you're often find yourself stupified.

As for it being a gateway drug, ohhh boy, hells yeah. At least from my experience. I'd say that from the kids I hung out with, who were pretty average, most of those who tried weed went on to do at least ecstasy as they got older. Maybe 80% of them. And all those who have not smoked weed, or tried it once and hated it, did NOT go on to try other drugs other than being occasional drinkers.

This as what I saw - not a result of a scientific study, but real personal experiences. Make of it what you want.

Would I let my future kids smoke weed? Maybe after a certain age, if their marks are good and they aren't fat slobs who don't exercise.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

my husband was a stoner drunk in high school. He says the smoking had a bigger negative effect. I'm surprised, I would have thought the drinking. I guess I didn't realize how much he smoked

22. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Seriously, who can smoke that much? I'd die if I smoked or had a drink everyday, and I exercise. =/

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't smoke weed at all. Puts me to sleep.
    I drink about 6 beers a month
    I have funner addictions <wink wink>