Teleportation...???

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by JimmyJames, May 20, 2001.

1. JimmyJames Master Jedi Registered Senior Member

If you were to teleport somthing you would have to break down the object atom by atom and then send each atom to some reciver, which then would be put back together atom by atom...right...well how would yo send the atoms if this is true? JimmyJames....email- JimmyJames21988@hotmail.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Teleportation

One possibility is that you wouldn’t “send atoms”. Rather you would send instructions on how to assemble atoms at a distant point. To send atoms would require that you transmit mass. That’s when you start to run into problems. Moving mass requires energy. The faster it moves the more energy is needed. So how long do you want to be a mass of electrons moving towards your intended destination? A couple of years OK? While you’re in transit the rest of the world goes on. Maybe your father or mother died while you were traveling. Somehow I don’t think that would be acceptable.

<valign="center" valign="middle">

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. discord5 Registered Senior Member

good question

now if we can answer how to send the atoms as fast as we want then why break them apart at all why not just send whole items or people ?
    and if all you are sending is information about how to assemble other atoms at the "destination" doesnt that break some law about cloning ?

boy whats my problem im answering questions with questions [banging face on keyboard for bad behavior in public]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. JimmyJames Master Jedi Registered Senior Member

reply to teleportation

um...I think that if you teleport only the instructions then where does the consious mind come in? It wouldn't. So I think that t he method of only teleporting instructions would be reserved for non-living objects...and yes if the consious mind is not teleported then a exact repleca would be made...which in turn would be cloning not teleporting, plus what would happen to the original person or living bening???

8. discord5 Registered Senior Member

they would wonder what their clone was doing and if it would mess up their credit rating =>

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That's what I get for spouting off. You know mouth engaged at warp speed and brain in cyrosleep
    Unfortunately Jimmy has put his finger on the crux of the problem. How do you transmit conscious?
    The Star Gate show has 'em walking into a new place. Cool effects but I don't think it's a valid reality. ('Course I'm not a scientist)
    But nothing we have so far shows that it's even possible to transmit such. Now you can always find the pseudo science on the web that says it's so and others that believe everything they read as it's in print.But show me!

10. JimmyJames Master Jedi Registered Senior Member

Beam me up !!!

Beam Me Up Scotty!

Continuing with that Star Trek theme, Scientists have succeeded in 'teleporting' photons. In the December 11 1997 issue of Nature, Anton Zeilinger and colleagues
    at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, demonstrated their ability to destroy and recreate bits of light. Utilizing Quantum Teleportation, and idea that even Einstein
    thought was impossible, destroyed massless photons, and in the process transferring information about a physical characteristic of the photons. Other photons picked
    up this information and took on the characteristic, thus becoming replicas of the original bits of light.

There are obviously significant differences between the Star Trek transporter and the technology demonstrated by the Austrian physicists. The demonstration
    described only dealt with massless photons. It may be quite a while before we can avoid all that traffic on the way to work by 'beaming.' Herr Zeilinger says that
    teleportation of individual atoms and molecules is only a few years off. However, "teleportation of complex living beings, even bacteria, is so far away technologically
    that it's not really worth thinking about it," said IBM physicist Charles Bennett, one of the original proposers of the technology.

Sources:

ABC News.com
    Nature
    Associated Press

11. discord5 Registered Senior Member

i think we have begun another thread with this ...
    if all the chemicals and connections of the brain are put into the same place in the "new" body , who is to say whether or not that would be enough to create/move the conciousness

and i think my trouble is getting my mouth to correctly translate the gibberish my brain hands it

12. Ortemus Registered Member

Last edited: May 20, 2001
  13. josharuni Registered Member

Hey, what about wormholes?

I agree on the fact that consciousness cannot be trasmitted with the bodies code, and transfering information about the body to a distant receiver/assembler would possibly re-creat something other than human.......
    However we might be looking in the wrong direction. If any of you as read any material on wormholes and such, than you might come across the notion that we could possibly send ourselves by opening a wormhole and jumping to a different point in the universe - weather it be on earth or on jupiter. There have been previously published articles regarding teleportation using wormholes(some 2000 popular science magazine and Scientific American) That talk about using negative energy to stimulate a wormhole. If we could accurately control where the wormhole sends us, then that would be a very affective way of teleportation.
    for those who are unfamiliar: wormholes are theoretical openings in space that connect one point of the universe to another in a "short jump"

14. JimmyJames Master Jedi Registered Senior Member

relpy....

Well in order to go into a wormhole or blackhole you would first go through a stage of spagatifacation....you would get stretched out because of the speed of gravity pulling you in. The parts that go in first will get to the other end first which would ripp your body apart. Do you get it ?

15. Oliver Registered Member

teleportation is possible

Scientist know how to teleport in theory:
    one of the simple rules of physics is

Energy=m(mass)*(the speed of light)
    therefor, any mass can be transformed into energy, sent at the speed of light to somewhere else. but the problem is to reconstruct the mass at its arrival...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

It seems obvious to me, at least, that any 'teleporation' would be nothing more than a transfer of information. We can currently, with our primitive tools, transfer information at the speed of light (eg. fiber optics). Using light as the medium for information transfer, you avoid the problems associated with moving mass itself.

There MAY be ways to transfer information faster than the speed of light (quantum entanglement possibly -- but I really know nothing about this).

I personally don't think that "consciousness" has anything to do with the actual corporeal mass that comprises my brain. I think it has more to do with the patterns of neural connections which can be represented symbolically quite compactly. There's no reason to suspect that MY consciousness is tied to my physical self. The actual physical matter in my brain (atoms, molecules, cells etc.) is transient and constantly changing -- yet I perceive a unified consciousness over time. The patterns that are symbolically encoded by the physical 'stuff' are constant and this is what gives you the subjective feeling of a unified consciousness over time.

Of course, this is a good topic for discussion in the Neuroscience/AI forums.

17. JimmyJames Master Jedi Registered Senior Member

Let me try again...

Okay...If you send instructions that perfectly identify were the position of each atom, molecule, cell, etc.. you would create an exact copy or replica (also known as a clone) of the object or being that is attempting to be teleported. So if you agree so far then you would know that the new being would have every thing that the original being had except that they are two different people, so in the process of teleportation you will destroy one life to make a new one in a different location. What about God...your soul your deepest feeling...the new being would have these and more...memories, beliefs, etc.. The only problem is that he is NOT the original person and he will NEVER be the original person...I hope you understand what I am trying to say, please respond

18. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I am not the original person. I possess the memories of the person that existed 5 minutes ago in "my" body, but I swear to you, I am not him!

19. Oliver Registered Member

well said Porfiry, but...

in a way , Porfiry, you're right, but the technique is wrong all together. leave an individual and replace it with an other is wrong for the poor fellow who was down there( however, you are nothing but atoms anyway, and every single atom in your body is renewed during your lifetime...).
    that technique shouldn't be used to transfer animal life.

there is an other way, the one I described in my earlier message...

20. teZting Registered Member

I skipped the last posts on this thread just to ask something.
    It may seem kind of dumb saying this, in fact i'm dumb, at least in this area, but teleporting envolve transfering the body of a person to another place.
    Well, if we transfer the body, we transfer the consious too? right?

Sorry for the bad english.

PS - don't laugh.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't take that one for granted. You could arrive dead meat.
    You're not dumb, like the rest of us, you're seeking knowledge. Not the same things.

22. teZting Registered Member

Well, i'm assuming that we reach the other side with our phisical side equal.
    If our phisical caracteristics are the same at our destination point, doesn't that mean that our consious it's the same?

23. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Hi,
    I am a bit shocked about the number of (Cartesian) dualsits among us. What is the stuff our dreams are made of, do you think?
    If it were possible to make an exact copy of a sentient being... hmm... however... those beings will have the same consciousness only for like a few microseconds (educated guess). After that period of time they will start to deviate, not only because of the differences in sensory inputs.
    The problem remains that we will never be able to make such a copy, since we cannot know both the momentum and the position of a particle (Heisenberg's principle). Without that information it will be quite a hard job to duplicate.