Terrence Howard at Oxford - Crank Alert

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Neddy Bate, May 15, 2018.

1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Terry Howard walks into a bar and orders 1 times 1 drink. The bargirl says, "Oh 'ullo Mr Howard.
    You mean one drink at a time, or you want two drinks so you can multiply them together?"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

LOL ... "Terry Howard walks into a bar." I never thought this thread would turn out to be so much fun.

For those who were not able to watch to the end of the video, he also talks about how people claim that one dollar times one dollar equals one dollar, and how that is wrong because it should be two dollars. Since he is speaking in England he even make the equivalent statement in pounds. One of the students even tries to correct him that the units would be square dollars or square pounds, which makes no sense. He does not seem to understand what they are saying at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

It's just the Dunning-Kruger effect isn't it? Guy's too thick to realise what twat he is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Wonder what he thinks 1 times 2 is...

8. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I think someone asks that during the Q & A and he says something like, "All the others stay the same, it's only 1x1 that needs to be changed." Not much method to the madness I suppose.

9. geordief Registered Senior Member

Not the Dunning+Kruger effect ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But notice how Mr Howard brings out the fact that you can multiply numbers together and get squares, but you can't multiply physical objects together--there aren't any square drinks, or apples, or dollars.

No, you're obliged to only allow one number to be a "label for" a physical three-dimensional object (i.e. 1 x 1 drink, not 1 drink x 1 drink). The three dimensions are all "multiplied together" for any object that "occupies space", or has a volume: drinks, apples etc have this property.
    It's why a squared apple makes no sense: how many dimensions would it have, twice as many as a three dimensional apple?

Und so weiter. Ist in der physikbuchen.

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Because it's so bleedin obvious.

If Mr Howard has two drinks in front of him, he can't define the multiplication of their two volumes in three dimensions. The best he can do is add them together and get one drink, the sum of the two volumes because there are only three dimensions to do it in, and he needs more than that to define a product. That's just how it works.

12. Michael 345 In China - finding my way :) Valued Senior Member

I think that is a gross underestimate of his stupidity

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

How about the Dunning.Kruger effect then?

14. Michael 345 In China - finding my way :) Valued Senior Member

How about the "Dumbass dropped on head at birth" syndrome

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No sense? You fall short of the man's profundity, in truth. For as we are informed by the most august of economists, a dollar is an entity of motion and change, not of petty and fixed dimension, and such entities find themselves squared as a matter of analytical routine - as we have mass x velocity squared, for example.

The deep thinking Howard is merely bringing the insights underlying the governing economic theory of post-Reagan America to the masses, explaining how a dollar not taxed away from a rich man becomes simultaneously a dollar of circulating wealth in transient possession by an entire economy, a dollar in a rich man's store of itself a dollar in motion elsewhere as well, a dollar compounded, a dollar squared.

It's all in the awristhmetic.

16. Michael 345 In China - finding my way :) Valued Senior Member

Love the word awristhmetic

Does it relate to a flick of the wrist?

Or perhaps a-wish-matic?

Put it in the thread Word of the Day