Test you'r physics knowledge.!!!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by cluelusshusbund, Feb 19, 2019.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Oh, and I just read the wikipedia page on "centrifugal force". There's no problem there. Obviously you took something away from it that isn't actually there, Q-reeus.

Unless, that is, that you were trying to move the goalposts to score some kind of imaginary ego point, by using the term "centrifugal force" to refer to what the wiki article calls a "reactive centrifugal force". It could be that this is where you got yourself muddled and shifted away from the most common (and most useful) meaning of the term.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Centripetal force is the force directed against a mass on the inner surface. So if you attach a mass to the ah, boundary with some kind of latch so you can release it when the cylinder is rotating around its axis (that is, centrally), which is because the force is directed inward in the frame of reference of the test mass, it's outward momentum on release shows the apparent inwards force vanishes when it's in free fall.

For the mass which is freed after gaining momentum, there is no inward force perpendicular to a rigid surface. For the mass before it is released, the inward directed component which disappears on release is all in the mechanism that keeps it fixed on the top of the rotating cylinder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Sorry James - not interested in biting. Content to let Your at best confused and intentionally provocative responses stand as a permanent record. My summary of what is a low-level physics issue needs no further addition beyond that already given. Except perhaps to add that despite occasional references in literature to 'violations', Newton's 3rd law always holds provided one is careful to include the entire system i.e. any fields that may be involved.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah... an luckly my teechers seemed to understand the brain-freeze test thang;;; i even overherd a couple of 'em talkin to mom about puttin me in a special school... but she woudnt let 'em... prolly figered i woud get the big-head an not treet my classmates as equals.!!!

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I've pointed out your errors in some detail. I, too, am content to let matters rest there.

Funny how this "low-level physics issue" catches so many people out.

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I missed about five due to history. Over or under simplicity, , or just basic Stupidly picking the wrong answer when I should have known better miscalculations in semantics.