Testicles are a source of stem cells?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Michelle Redford, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Michelle Redford Registered Member

I just read about this new discovery... Research has shown that testicles could be used as a source of stem cells now! This is the article.

There's something I don't get now... Does this mean that those stem cells are applicable only on males or?

What do you think about the new discovery?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

The article that you have linked to is rather unscientific and its interpretations are questionable. It’s hard to make any judgement of the science without having access to the actual detailed scientific publication.

Firstly, the existence of testicular stem cells is hardly a revelation – that has been known for a long time.

Secondly, the ability of stem cells to self-renew (ie. the ability of stem cells to divide to form new stem cells, not just specified daughter cells) has also been known for a long time. So this statement….

…is a bit odd. There is nothing new here so far.

Then it gets decidedly dodgy….

Whoa! Hold on a minute.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There are no lineage restricted stem cells (ie so-called “adult stem cells”) that can conveniently give rise to multiple lineages. In other words, there are few, if any, adult stem cells that are pluripotent in the same way embryonic stem cells are. There are some indications that some adult stem cells in some circumstances might be able to give rise to lineages other than those they normally produce. But this is nowhere near being widely clinically applicable.

So, the idea that some people have that any given adult stem cell type, be it testicular stem cells or bone marrow stem cells or liver stem cells or neuronal stem cells or whatever, can be used to repair any tissue/organ in the body is false. To date, it is only embryonic stem cells that hold this promise.

Like I said, this statement appears to be unsupported nonsense to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michelle Redford Registered Member

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I came accross the article on Digg...

Anyway, thanks a lot!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.