Proposal: That the current global warming trend is a result of human activity

Discussion in 'Formal debates' started by James R, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Syzygys:

Read the rules of the Formal Debates forum. You are incorrect.

No. It is agreed among the debaters for this debate.

Since you are not serious about this, you are out of this debate.

CheskiChips:

I will start the debate as soon as I have time - hopefully the next hour or so. My opening post will take a little time to write.

I assume you agree to all the conditions and rules I suggested.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Take all the time you need - I put the standard discussed rules in for simple protocol. Any extension is automatically granted by me unasked.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

CheskiChips:

Sorry. I didn't get to starting the debate yesterday. As I said, I'll get to it as soon as I have enough time.

A couple of points on the rules, however:

I clearly specified in several posts to the current thread that a condition of me engaging in this debate is that Buffalo Roam will NOT be allowed to post in the Discussion thread. I asked you on several occasions whether you agreed to this condition, but got not reply from you.

If you do not agree to this condition, I am out of this debate. Please let me know. I will not post my first post until I hear from you. In the meantime, I have temporarily closed the Debate thread.

One other thing:

It is agreed, I take it, that the Earth is warming. You aren't going to argue that it is cooling, are you? Because that was another condition I initially put on this debate.

Other than that, I accept your rules.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I concede - amend the rule.

My use of the term 'Climate Change' was to be in agreement with the standard terminology used by climatologists. The term 'global warming' is typically used by media - the difference is it's technically not called 'global warming' because, as the IPCC reports show, different parts of the globe will incur different impacts and in some cases that includes cooling. The term global warming is accurate if the change occurred and all oceanic / long term atmospheric processes stayed identical. I have no intention of arguing global dimming. You can change it, it was just my preference to use scientifically correct terms.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ok, Cheski. I'm fine with that.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that I'll get to posting my first post today. It's coming up to dinner time now where I am.

Sorry for the delay.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Cheski:

Christmas has caught up with me. I won't be able to start until the day after tomorrow at the earliest. Sorry once again.

10. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Take all the time you want, I'm equally busy - message me when you've entered a post. Or it could be called off, which is also fine.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hey, I was looking forward to this thingy, I might have learnt something. I guess since I don't participate, it will never take off....

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I've been kept busy with schenanigans regarding SAM's temporary ban, plus real life commitments. This debate will take some time and thought and effort on my part, but I will get to it.

13. krazedkat IQ of "Highly Gifted"-"Genius" Registered Senior Member

CURRENT global warming? We're in the middle of a freezing period. And it's not our fault you know, climate change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.