The 12th Planet - Zacharia Zitchin

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by H-kon, Jul 13, 1999.

1. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Just wondered what you guys have read and heard about it. IS there any truth to it?

Will the theorized planet pass between Mars and Jupiter in the near future?

------------------
    "All i say is keep looking".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. H-kon Registered Senior Member

No one has an opinion about this? This place is getting dead...

------------------

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Caradoc Registered Member

I thought the name, Persephone had been reserved for the next planet discovered.

Never heard of this Zacharia fella, want to give me some info?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Well.. Zacharia Zitchin is an author of several books. "The 12th Planet" is one in a series of 4 books.
    About the book, he says that there are evidence of a 12th planet in our solar system ( Sun and moon counts ) The planet is closest to the sun every 3600 years, and it is likely that this planet are on its way back into our solar system in the next 10 to 20 years ( coming between Mars and Jupiter where the asteroid belt is)
    He is an archeologist, and a number of other things, and is one of the few remaing people in the world who is able to read and understand Sumerian and those old languages.
    The book is available everywhere, its very heavy reading, but if you manage to read through it, you should get amazed at his conclusions.

its not much of an explanation at the moment, but if you need some more info, i will try my best at explaining it...

------------------

8. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Call me naive: but if a planet passed through the asteroid belt every 3600 years, there'd be nothing left of the belt! Am I missing something?

9. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Have you ever thought about why there is an asteroidbelt? the rumoured planet supposedly collided with planet "Tiamat" which back then was the size of Neptune.

------------------

10. DaveW Registered Senior Member

The generally accepted explanation for the existence of the asteroid belt is that constant gravitational disturbances from the nearby Jupiter would prevent any large body of mass to form.

As for 'Tiamat', I really doubt there's enough solid matter in the inner solar system to create a planet the size of Neptune.

Also, a planetary collision does not imply the creation of an asteroid field. It is widely accepted that a collision between a Mars-sized planet and Earth in the early days of planetary formation resulted in the creation of our moon, not an asteroid belt. ( http://exosci.com/news/146.html )

11. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Not to mention the simple observation that the asteroids in the belt are in stable orbits.

Consider what happens when two planets collide and one of them is pulverized into small pieces. Some of the pieces will be kicked toward the Sun, some away from it; they would all end up in highly elliptical orbits which would lie outside the stable 'belt' we observe, for the larger part of the trajectory. Many of these chunks would also be kicked out of the plane of ecliptic. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), no significant number of asteroids outside the ecliptic have been observed. The rest of the pieces will remain roughly in the same orbit as the original planet, and they would be clumped together into a rough globule. They would then coalesce back into a spherical body due to gravitational attraction; they would certainly <u>not</u> spread out evenly along the orbit and then subsequently match each other's velocity! This is because to fly <u>away</u> from the former center of the planet (center of gravity), the chunks would have to obtain escape velocity (which for an Earth-sized planet is on the order of 11 km/sec). I'd expect very few of the chunks to gain *that* much relative speed due to the one-time impulse of the explosion. Furthermore, I would expect to see quite a few more planetoids in the asteroid belt of size exceeding 100 mi in diameter.

12. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Well. Our moon is supposed to be the leftovers from the collision of Tiamat, and Planet X which was bumped back here some millions of years ago. ---
    Another theory that i have read, is that Pluto might have been a moon of a planet that shared the same fate. They are not even talking about Pluto as a planet anymore either.... Looking at the frontpage of this date on this site, i read the theory/idea that there might be some rogue planets out there.. No one can explain the gravitational pull of Neptune and Pluto, they know that there is something out there, but they don't know what it is... Have anyone read the book i mentioned ? If so.. What are your comments on it?

------------------
    "We didn't inherit this world from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children".