The actual question - "Why don't you kill yourself?"

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by greenberg, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Chances are you won't 'find yourself' like that.. you'll be too far gone by then to notice.. lol

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah and do they leak?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That is why I already told Nietzche the "plan" when that happens lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

actually at near death experiences I had and near suicidal tendencies of mine I had, I noticed that finding yourself is much more acute of an experience during those times.

8. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

You mean like this here above. So you analyzed me, but could only come up with your genes control you in relation to yourself. In your world, it is enough to say

sowhatifit'sdark your genes made you answer that way. Right. My answer was caused by my genes. Why get in a dander and 'correct' me and my faulty genes and their pseudophilosophical answers, if you really believe your own 'philosophy'? Why bother with all this fluff now? Because you're pissed off? So you get a little irritated at my genes and suddenly you are able to write about human beings. Perhaps if you could find some emotion about life itself, something that makes you come here and spread the word and clean the unwashed masses, you could come up with a more interesting answer than that your genes keep you from killing yourself.

To say your genes made you do it - apart from the ludicrousness of the sentence (I mean who is the you that is not your genes) - is just trite.

His question: genes are everything.
    My post: suddenly Myles wants to get down and talk like a person.

That's it for you, I guess. If you think some wisdom is gained from answering my genes prevent me from committing suicide, we have different ideas of wisdom.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  9. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Hello. I did not say it makes me sick that I am genes. It makes me sick that you and others think you are saying anything of value to say your genes prevent your suicides. Apart from the fact that nurture has an effect on our attitudes, your answer is meaningless. I could see it in a discussion of suicidal behavior in a biology or psychiatry forum. But here?

But if you get some comfort out of having a detached view of yourself, that's fine. Go ahead.

10. draqon Banned Banned

I dont use them, I was thinking thou of using them to filter water for drinking... joke detection on, unless you are paranoid

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Not if the ending thought is "Nothing matters". Science let you down if that's all you've gotten out of it.

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

From his genes, right?
    I mean why talk to him about it. He is simply genes reacting, right?
    OH, yeah, you can't help yourself. Your genes make you respond even though there is no point.
    I hope your genes compel you to do good things.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not if you're demented..

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The effects of nurture are there because our genetic make up allows for it.

15. draqon Banned Banned

the psychology of a human at near death experiences activates hormones of greater sensor capabilities, faster reactions and such...this allows more blood flow and thus a person who is trying to kill themselves actually gets the body playing to them all the memories of good and how pitiful the life would be if they did do the suicide.

Either you never had suicide tendencies or you dont remember it.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How come ?

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It's not self abstraction. It's just that people know more nowadays about where their basic instincts and feelings originate. Why does this make you sick?

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, he is the product of his genes reacting.

Why have you become so cynical ?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I never had them

Besides, Shorty wasn't talking about suicide. She was talking about that she wanted others to end her if she becomes demented.

20. draqon Banned Banned

well than...don't say this is demented.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I didn't..

22. draqon Banned Banned

but you did say "Not if you are demented..."

but this I would assume you meant that one who realizes themselves more during suicide are seen as demented. This is wrong because such person is not demented.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

This pisses me off.

It might not be PC to say so, but we are not all as strong as each other. Sure, some people face things positively, with anger and determination, but others simply don't have it in them. And some people have just been through so much shit, it wears them down. You don't have the right to judge them.

Same here..only I'm not sure I want to live that long...

a violent death while I'm young and high on adrenaline seems a much more appealing idea..