The actual question - "Why don't you kill yourself?"

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by greenberg, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

But your answer was incomplete. Put the same genetic make up in radically worse nurtures and some will commit suicide. That's your worldview. So just speaking about genes IN YOUR WORLDVIEW is a half (assed) answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Because my genes react that way. I can't help myself. How can you question me and my reactions. It is just my genes reacting?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

It's my genes. Just like Myle's genes prevent him from killing himself, my genes react negatively to people who refer to themselves like they were machines and in, bascially, the third person.

It's my genes, Enmos. Cynical? What's that. You know it is only my genes reacting. I am completely determined. I have to do what I do. You know this. Why do you label it with some humanistic word and speak to me like I am free?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I would say this is not entirely biological. Small children of all faiths talk about 360 degree vision and veiwing their bodies from a different part of the room when brought near death in hospitals and the like. This along with many other symtoms reported by adults like the "review" often refered to as "your life flashing before your eyes". Many say it's as if you feel every experience you've had at once along with the feelings of everyone you were incontact with. It's been descibed as feeling like being burned alive,also.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That was based on Shorty's post:

9. draqon Banned Banned

I had my life flashing before my eyes, is more like it.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is determined that you feel like you do now, but there is nothing stopping you from shutting up.

Sorry.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

So did I last yr, when I almost got zapped with a lightning bolt. (I am being serious now)

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

What? Do you understand determinism so little? My genes are stopping me from shutting up, just as your genes get irritated when I point this out.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I accept that you disagree with me, why can't you accept me disagreeing with you ?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are defining determinism as you see fit.

15. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Let me see if I get this right then. My genes prevent me from committing suicide. My genes control my actions. But they do not control my urge to continue speaking. Is my urge to continue speaking free of genetic causation? And if it is this seems to open doors to other kinds of freedom.

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

My genes. (and by the way, it seems to me you are responding to me as much as I am responding to you. Why do think it is simply I who cannot accept? Can't you accept that I disagree?)

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

ditto

18. draqon Banned Banned

Its because Crunchy Cat is here that I want to be alive, Crunchy Cat's presence does not allow me to commit suicide

19. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I guess I'm refering to an out of body experience in which ,in suicide terms ,you've already pulled the trigger and are going to die without some intervention.

20. draqon Banned Banned

oh well...even a pulled trigger can still leave you alive.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are taking another attitude though, it shows you cannot accept it.

Anyway, I'm done bickering with you..

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You fail to see the point. I never said genes directly control behavior.

23. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I am sure. It saves you having to explain this absurdity:
    Suicide is an act that you and Myles say is one that your genes prevent you from performing.

My speaking is also an act, but you consider this free somehow?

Do tell.