The American way

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by odin, Dec 19, 2002.

1. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

TruthSeeker, I only see about .0000000000001% of that.

NightFall, Im sorry about your bad experience. Has anyone here heard of Meijers? We have about 3 of them here now, they are like a walmart but not. Also I would like to notate that I work at Super WalMart, not regular walmart.

I am a resource, I work for them and do their bidding. Sorta like how the iron in a ship would hold it together, except the iron doesnt get paid... they also dont get benifits... okay Im nothing like iron...:bugeye: Bad analogy.

/CounslerCoffee

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

everyone has heard of meijer. however, you will find that they do not support those types of fundraisers. or actually any for that matter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Strange. I've always thought that to be the kind of rethoric communist or marxist likes to brandish - "collective interest above individual"

Didn't know capitalism has similiar inclinations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

The Wal-Mart employees chose to work for free. They may have so chosen so they could be eligible for a class action lawsuit. Nowadays in the U.S. if your employer screws up then you and your lawyer win the lottery.

Nightfall, I suspect you’d get the money soon if you wrote Wal-Mart the sad story you posted here and added that you’ll be telling the newspapers about it if the funds are not forthcoming, with the suggested headline: Wal-Mart Gyps Little Girls on Bake Sale.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

do u know what the bigest problem with no clocked overtime is?

ur not covered by workcover if u get injured (at least thats how it is here)

9. Neville Registered Senior Member

I have always thoughts this! I have been asked before but just say no however i have known people who say yes as if they feel obliged. I havent in any-way but i suspect it is very different if you have a family: you need your job, plus if a manager is getting pressure to get some work done then that pressure will come to the workers. Maybe i havent felt this pressure yet because i am young and 'foot-loose' and can say no when asked to do overtime without worrying about the consequences: when i lose my jobs ( :d ) it is no big deal; i just sign on or look for another job.
    The society doesnt come into it at all (i dont think). Thats why all those people were marching in London (ant-capitalist riots). Look how many people there were. The only interests taken into account are the money holders: banks, oil companies etc. It is them who hold all the cards and they can therefore direct peoples lives and even lifestyle: some places only employ non-smokers, and to get to the top in some companies (or to even keep your job) you probably would have to be married (if your boss doesnt like someone who has lots of different partners then you wont get very far). There was a film with Tom Cruise in it (i think) where this young talented banker (again i think) was brilliant at his job and this company wanted him to work for them so they lavished him and his wife with everything: nice house, car, good wages, and encouraged them to have kids so that they could trap him into working for them forever. This kind of thing happens in real life: tax breaks for married couples etc, and so the government (with all of the countries pooled money) can direct peoples lives in this way. These governments also accept 'donations' from large companies.

10. Neville Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: Well i havent!

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um the tax breaks r there to make life EASIER for those of us who think that chidren r more important than a new car

(no i dont have kids yet but i am sick of lissioning to people say we dont want kids cause it would reck our life style, i wish there parents had done that)

12. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

everyone has heard of meijer...

http://www.meijer.com