The beginners guide to light!

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by amber, Jan 31, 2018.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Photons cannot be seen unless they enter your eyes. Don't you remember being told this before you were banned last time?

They are just some sciency sounding words I threw together - I thought you might like it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. amber Registered Member

It is not nice to mock somebody who does not know an answer to a question. You say Photons cannot be seen unless they enter your eyes, how does the mirror ''see'' them then?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

Not the actual macro object it's reflecting, the photons could be trapped theoretically in another dimension if there was two perfect mirrors which were perfectly aligned.

Now, what dimension would you call that?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

good point. either way, it is speculation.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You think mirrors see photons????

It is not nice to be a sock puppet either.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I am at a loss to understand why you would think photons reflecting between 2 mirrors would mean they are in another dimension.

amber likes this.
  10. amber Registered Member

If you noticed I edited to put ''see'' in quotation to represent I don't actually mean see.

I will propose the question a different way , because obviously you did not see that 'see' means detect in this instant.

You are standing behind a mirror and cannot see the reflection of an object in the mirror as the mirror faces away from you.

Is there still an image reflected /in the mirror?

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

12. amber Registered Member

No, it makes a sound wave, only if there is a detector such as ears, it is then a sound.

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Uh..., yes a mirror will still reflect light if you are not looking at it. Did you really not know that?

14. amber Registered Member

I knew that, but do we know if the image in the mirror that we cannot see is still the image we would see if we looked?

In other words, does the image in the mirror exist ,out of our minds as an actual image?

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Sorry this is just getting too silly. I did enjoy your trolling, it was sorta fun. I went ahead and reported you as a sock puppet - I am sure I am not the first. So it is about time to declare you are a sock puppet and then say 'ha-ha I messed with you" or whatever.

See you in your next incarnation!

16. amber Registered Member

You proclaimed earlier you was trying to help, then turn on me . If the questions are to difficult for you it is no shame in saying so. Perhaps I should answer for you and learn you something.

If the mirror exists then so does the image in the mirror. We indeed only see photons that enter our eyes and see a picture in the back of our minds where the sight cortex is. But people seem to forget that objects exist outside our minds and the objects we see are the objects.

17. birch Valued Senior Member

i think she is referring to the double-split experiment analogy. but that is a good question. how do you know for sure what it's up to unless you are observing it? what evidence do you have unless you put a camera to record the images? but then the images are produced because you are recording. lol

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

In developmental psychology there is a stage at which a child learns object permanence. At the age of about 4 - 7 months a baby learns that when you hide your keys they still exist they are just hidden. You seem to be talking along these lines, if you don't see it, it doesn't exist.

I have advanced beyond the stage of object permanence, so I am really struggling to take your musings as anything but silly trolling.

19. birch Valued Senior Member

no, i think her point was rather obvious. it's that until you focus as in directing the movement of photons yourself to form an image, then there is no image.

this is different than more solid macro objects such as your keys. of course, that is permanent.

20. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

If that persons point was that mirrors reflect the incident rays, then I am on board. I sure didn't get that from their posts...

Birch you do realize that 'amber' is just a sock puppet don't you?

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Could you explain what you mean by the words "observational expansion"
    Alex

22. amber Registered Member

Yes sure, if you look out into space with your eyes you can only see so much. If you then used a telescope you would expand your observation. If you was to observe an object that was receding away from you into space, the further the object travels away , the greater length the space between you and the object. As the object expands away from you, you see more space between you and the object, the observation is expanding not the space.

23. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

They are absorbed by the cloths. Any photon traveling in the space between the two mirrors and between the cloths, will hit the cloths and be absorbed by them. Any photons caught between a mirror and a cloth will either directly absorbed by the cloth or reflected from the mirror and then absorbed by the cloth. The cloth will warm slightly from the absorption of these photons, And thus radiate IR photons in random directions. most of which will just escape off into space. Some will be emitted in the direction of the mirror the cloth is covering. If the mirror is a perfect reflector of the entire electromagnetic spectrum, these will be reflected back the cloth, reabsorbed and emitted again, though not necessarily back in the direction of the mirror. Over time, the cloths and mirrors will lose more photon to space and slowly cool. Given enough time, and barring any outside source of photons they will cool to near absolute zero. (in our universe, the present minimum would be ~2.73K which is the temp of the CMBR).