The Bible. Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, May 21, 2015.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why can't the original cause (God) be uncaused? You seem to slip that in as though it is a given, let alone make any sense.

Why?

By your responses, it's hardly surprising you see it that way.
    I think you're covertly trying to prove that God does not exist. Are you?

How so?

Then why do ask what pure spirit is, or if we can communicate with a non material being?

When you were looking at the scriptures, could you make the distinction?

You've read scriptures. Are you telling me you still have no idea?

Now you're resorting to lying?
    You're not interested in God.

jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You know that that is not what I was speaking to.

Thanks for showing that you do not really believe the bible.

Regards
    DL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Amazing! Jan Ardena has summed the attributes of the atheist perfectly: they do not WANT God to exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Do you not want Shiva to exist? Or Odin? Zeus, Ra, or any of the hundreds of others?

8. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Not me, Atheists! I want gods' existences.

9. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Why?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You want to be dominated by a capricious guy with bronze age values who cares more about your penis than slavery? WTF?

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

That's certainly what Jan likes to think of atheists: "There's no good reason for them not to believe, therefore it's simply a case of them not wanting to, and wanting God to not exist! There! That explains all their criticisms and all I need to do is say that their criticism stems from this and I will be correct and their criticism deemed invalid!"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Unfortunately Jan's view doesn't really apply to many atheists at all, at least not those I know. Most would love God to exist. They would dearly love other things such as an afterlife as well. But atheists - at least, I think, the majority of those on this site - simply do not see any convincing reason. Desire is not in itself a convincing reason - most would see that as an appeal to emotion.

That you see Jan's comment as somehow enlightening, though, I find quite revealing.

Kristoffer likes this.
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Jan Ardena:

The bible is quite a long document. Sure, it talks a lot about God, but it also talks a lot about matters of historical fact - or are they myths? It seems to me that it is quite possible to discuss whether the bible is factually accurate in a historical sense, or a scientific sense, or in many other senses, without having regard to whether God exists.

Even if God does exist, it does not automatically follow that the bible must then be infallible or totally correct in all matters.

You should be more careful about assuming that your favorite scriptures all tell the Truth just because you believe in God.

I remember somebody suggesting something called the Big Bang...

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You're the one who claims everything needs a cause. If that's true, so does God.
    No more than I'm trying to prove that flying pigs don't exist.
    Because nobody has an answer. If there is an answer, just tell us what it is.
    No. That's why I'm asking - and this is another example of you being evasive. Just answer the question: How would I distinguish between the Bible and Animal Farm?
    I'm as interested in God as I am in flying pigs. If you were interested in discussing God, you'd give a straight answer.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why does God need a cause?

So you are.

I thought you said you read scriptures.

How am I being evasive. I pointed you in a direction, and you failed to distinguish.
    Not my problem.

Then go seek flying pigs. At least if they exist you will be able to observe them.
    Let me know how you get on.

jan.

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

So why is this thread in the Religion forum?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

God is by definition complex. Where else do complex things arise spontaneously? Simply things, however, do not have that same problem.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Last time I checked, the bible was a religious text.

Which forum do you think the thread should be in?

I already did. The Big Bang. It was a rather unusual explosion.

But then, the universe coming into being is a rather singular event.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

God is by definition ONE. How is that complex?

jan.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Are you fucking serious? You say he contains the imagination necessary for creating the universe, meaning he planned out all the various galaxies and solar systems, created every kind of plant and animal, balanced the physical forces, invented morality, passes judgements... none of which would be possible if god were something simple, like a particle.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Last time I checked you said, It seems to me that it is quite possible to discuss whether the bible is factually accurate in a historical sense, or a scientific sense, or in many other senses, without having regard to whether God exists.

Erm... a science, or history one.

jan.

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Who said God was a particle?
    So what if He causes the material world, it doesn't mean He is complex. Why couldn't He be very simple?

jan.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If God were simple, like a particle, it wouldn't be God. It would be considered a non-sentient physical phenomenon. That's what I mean when I said a First Cause isn't necessarily a God.

For God's sake, he has a mind! Are you saying that you, created in His image, aren't complex?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

How complex is sounding the universe into existence?

jan.