The Big Bang and Magnetic fields

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by river, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

wellwisher

It's rather hard to get a hold of, but then so is solar plasma, are you going to argue that we therefore know nothing about the sun? It's 93 million miles away, 8 light minutes. The difference between studying the sun from long distance and studying Dark Matter and the galaxies embeded in it from long distance is a matter of better telescopes, not new scientific principles or practices. It's valid science.

Not yet(same goes for solar plasma). We think we may have detected it, but it's too soon to say for sure.

Should have said as real as the sun is, but yes, DM exists just as air does, it's just harder to study(like solar plasma).

Nothing is ever conclusively proven in science, but air's existence is pretty certain. So is Dark Matter's(and Solar Plasma's). The fact it exists and affects the matter we can see makes that obvious. The question of what it actually is is secondary to the fact that it exists and can be located in galactic space because of the influence of it's mass on matter and on light. It is a fact that, to our best estimates and measurement, 96% of the mass that exists in our Universe can not be seen directly in a telescope, but we can see the effect it's mass exerts on the 4% we can see.

We notice that there is way more gravity in galaxies for the visible matter to account for. We calculated the fact that if the only matter in those galaxies(almost all of them)were the visible matter they could not rotate the way they are observed to actually rotate. Then we started using microlensing to see the distortion caused by the mass of the galaxies and found that the visible galaxy is usually embedded in 4-5 times it's mass in matter that could not be seen directly. Then we started saying that we had found Dark Matter.

When Edwin Hubble found that all galaxies not in the local group were receding from us, and that the farthest galaxies were moving faster the expansion of the Universe was revealed. When we started measuring we found that the Universe's expansion initially slowed, then it sort of coasted but in the last few billion years it is starting to accelerate. A no energy trajectory would have the expansion continue to slow, the difference between the zero energy slope and the actual slope represents energy being applied to the system and it represents energy equivalent to 70% of the mass in the Universe. We don't yet understand where this energy comes from, but we know some of it's properties. It doesn't seem to fall off with distance, if anything distance enhances it's effects. It does not act within gravity bound systems or it is weaker than gravity at short distances, so galaxies are not going to fly apart. Right now we are limited to making observations of the effects, but it's a real mystery of physics. The effects exist, something is causing them, we call it Dark Energy.

So you are going to say the sun doesn't exist? Nothing of the sun has been seen close up in the lab, everything we know about it was found out by remote observation too.

Er...no.

There is no desert heat shimmers in space, in fact the viewing is quite clear, it is mostly empty, you know. There are distortions in space but there are no mirages. That is unique to hot desert with a flat horizon.

There is no "mirage effect" except in your addled thoughts.

Says who?

Do you speak English where you live?

Woo, Woo...do I hear a train? You do know your posting in a science forum, don't you. Have you checked your meds lately?

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

And grumpy

Your thoughts on other posts on this thread

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

river

That is not true, to our current understanding what came out of the Inflation was spacetime and pure energy. In the first few tiny fractions of a second none of the four forces applied, what we probably will find is that the energy was the same thing as Dark Energy and that a third of it condensed into everything with mass, when spacetime formed, gravity started and the other forces became operative, Inflation stopped, but the Universe was huge by then. That first few tiny fractions of a second were different than all the rest of time and space, lightspeed was not a limit, gravity didn't function and spacetime and energy expanded exponentially. It wasn't until much later before temperatures dropped to where atoms and plasma could have existed, however. Thousands if not tens of thousands of years. We can presently only see to 380,000 years after the beginning, though we may soon see closer than that. 380,000 years ago the whole Universe dropped below the temperature where electrons could combine with bare protons and neutrons to form atoms and, incidentally, clear spacetime so light could travel freely in vacuum.

Grumpy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Question

What is " pure energy " ? Define

Or what does pure energy mean to you ?

8. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

river

Do you know what a photon is? It's a packet of pure electromagnetic energy travelling as a wave front through spacetime. I don't have a clue what form energy would take outside of spacetime, or before spacetime existed. But 70% of the mass in spacetime takes the form of energy pushing collections of mass apart, that is by far the majority of what the Universe contains besides empty space and time. We do know temperatures were well above the point where protons or electrons could exist, at least for more than milliseconds, like virtual particles. And baryonic matter is only 4% of the Universe's mass, that includes all plasmas.

Grumpy

9. river

10. river

So electromagnetic energy , light

But electromagnetic energy always has a source

It doesn't just magically appear

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You continue to ask questions yet refuse to answer any...The productive way of the troll no doubt.

As people have continually told you, and as ratbags like you are so quick to jump on, there is still stuff we don't know.
    But I'll attempt to answer...Photons are bundles of energy that may arise from the same quantum fluctuations that probably gave rise to the Universe/space/time itself.

Now I'll pose a question....
    As you push and probe for some crack in current cosmology, to inevitably slip in your Plasma/Electric Universe, please show me, or explain to me how EME can make stars....Oh, and how do they make BHs?
    Simple enough for someone as confident in Plasma/Electric theory as you are.

12. river

Well I ask questions

Light has a source that is matter produced , galaxies , suns etc.

Not from pure energy

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It's rather ironic that the very nature of the scientific methodology, and particularly that bit of it, is the thing our ratbag fraternity will always target.
    I suppose to some, Ignorance will always be bliss.

[I wait for dmoe/river to run with that one] PML

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You havn't answered the question.
    How does EME make stars?

15. river

Oh I'll run with it because science in this field ignors their own unreasonable thinking

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And I have given you a source of the energy...Another would be the continuing virtual particle annihilation in what we call the vacuum of space.
    But that's getting into the quantum field and near the edge of what I can claim with any confidence.

Again, can you answer my question. Afterall it is the basis of what you are claiming is it not?
    How does EME make stars?

ps: If you are unable to answer, you can always fall back on the mainstream answer of gravity.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well then answer your own version of reasonable thinking in the Plasma/Electric Universe?
    Again, tell me the method that pure energy/plasma can form into a star?

18. river

You mean

Electromagnetic energy

Just to be clear

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

In other words opposing the mainstream thought for the sake of it....no other reason...just for the sake of it.
    But it would be really really nice if you could invalidate any or all of standard cosmology beliefs, and even nicer if you could in turn offer a reasonable model in return that will predict and supports exactly what the BB supports.
    So come on, be a nice chap!

20. river

Ah.. No , for the sake of it , just trying to understand it

It makes no sense

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure I do...But just to give you more scope, you can also call it lumps of plasma and such. So, tell me, how does it all get to clump together and ingnite nuclear fusion?

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It does to me...And I'm no Einstein.
    Now back to the question...........

23. river

Of course it does to you , obviously

Now back to the question ......