The Big Bang Theory is the biggest lie in the western world

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Gravage, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

When you don't know anything about anything when it comes to explain the universe, scients are no smarter than lay people, since neither knows the real truth of reality.

Yes,, but physics is strictly based on mathematics, so it's basically mathematics-all those models.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Indeed, this is why, buoyed by your wisdom of reality, I have begun construction on an atomic bomb. Nothing can possibly go wrong, since -being a laypeson - I know as much about plutonium physics as any scientist.

After all, subatomic particles are too small to see. Their so-called "atomic models" of fission (which are totally bogus, since they predict radiation and explosion) are no match for my plucky, greasemonkey know-how.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I already explained above just because something works it doesn't mean the explanation is correct until it is actually proven, not mathematically proven, really proven, this is why I said these are all trials and errors.
    The only good thing that comes out of this are new technologies and that's about it.
    Well, scientists did build atomic bombs and hydrogen bombs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And you explained wrong.

Again, this phrase "really" proven is naive.

You are arguing against stance that no rational scientist holds. You have invented a straw man.

But back to your wisdom:
    That's impossible of course.

Since atomic bombs can only be invented with an intimate knowledge of protons, neutrons and atomic fission, and scientists can know nothing about these things since they're smaller than the human eye can detect, it is impossible for them to have been invented. Congratulations, you have reinvented history.

(Here's a hint: they were not invented by trial and error of simply building bigger and bigger incendiary bombs, until magically one went atomic. Atomic bombs cannot have been invented without first having a model of what atomic nuclei are made of. A predictive model. Made of math, based on observation.)

8. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Now, I explained right, because for you everything that works, than the explanation is correct-and yet there is no evidence that supports it, since you cannot observe the process in it and the particles that are suppose to exist-this is not a straw man-this is reality, there is no way that any of those hypotheses can be actually directly proven, all the evidences that are suppose to prove exist only in equations, not in the real world-you obviously are too stupid to understand that.

Everything in science is trial and error-everything, deal with it, and models are also made by trials and errors, deal with it, when you assume and speculate with something that you have no idea what it is, than it's all about trials and errors, since it's speculations and assumptions-deal with this.
    You are presenting science like you know everything about everything, but the fact is neither your or science knows truly nothing about anything, let alone the evidences of these assumptions and speculations.

Models that create atomic models were also made by trials and errors, because the mathematics is all about speculations and assumptions like the science is also.
    I bet anyone who doesn't know atomic physics would eventually find out how to create atomic bombs, without using any model-you simply have to try it and learn on mistakes, if you look at all those inventions, it was all about trials and errors in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No rational science-minded person claims that anything is "correct". Ignorance-based straw man.
    No rational science-minded person claims that anyone knows everything about anything. Ignorance-based straw man.

Not only are your arguments irrational, but the stance you think you're arguing against doesn't even exist.

You are warring with your own misguided beliefs.

10. Gravage Registered Senior Member

No, rational person would know that we know nothing about anything, that is the only truth.

That is not true, because you all behave like you know everything, because mathematics says so.

They are not irrational, they are rational, I seek for evidences of these hypotheses, and when you fail to show any evidence, than you still say it is proven-mathematically proven, and yet there is nothing truly proven.
    I'm simply asking for evidences, so where exactly I'm misguided, science is misguiding itself, just like you do.
    All arguments based on real-world facts and real world are rational and reasonable, all arguments based on mathematics that remained unprovable are 100% irrational, they are guided by religious fanatism.
    So, what if mathematics can help with technologies like nuclear power plants, it doesn't mean that it is correct-something that does work does not prove that its hypothesis is correct-the only way to determine that it is correct is through experiments and real-world evidences based on experiments, plus with correct interpretations of these same experiments, NOT what mathematics claims to be mathematically correct hypothesis-facts.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ah, so this is a personal, experiential anecdote.
    So, not fact.

I'm sorry you feel like everyone knows more than you. Have you considered that there are places where you can learn more? For example, what science seeks to accomplish?

Until then, this isn't really much of a discussion; it is you fighting with your own preconceived ideas.

No rational science-minded person tries to "truly prove" anything in nature. Ignorance based straw man.

Mathematics does not "prove" nature. Ignorance based straw man.

And evidence we have by the truckload. Centuries of it.

But evidence is not proof. Science does not seek proof. Your entire premise is malformed because it is based on an ignorance of what science is.

exchemist likes this.
  12. Gravage Registered Senior Member

The very fact you try to explain and prove with mathematics and than you claim it is proven, proves my points.
    If you are so humble you wouldn't claim that any hypothesis in mathematics that are unprovable are proven at all in the first place.

Than stop use math as explanation of nature since you cannot prove it.

Again none is talking about the waste, we ara talking about if the hypothesis behind it is correct in the first place:
    They are not irrational, they are rational, I seek for evidences of these hypotheses, and when you fail to show any evidence, than you still say it is proven-mathematically proven, and yet there is nothing truly proven.
    I'm simply asking for evidences, so where exactly I'm misguided, science is misguiding itself, just like you do.
    All arguments based on real-world facts and real world are rational and reasonable, all arguments based on mathematics that remained unprovable are 100% irrational, they are guided by religious fanatism.
    So, what if mathematics can help with technologies like nuclear power plants, it doesn't mean that it is correct-something that does work does not prove that its hypothesis is correct-the only way to determine that it is correct is through experiments and real-world evidences based on experiments, plus with correct interpretations of these same experiments, NOT what mathematics claims to be mathematically correct hypothesis-facts.

If science does not seek proof, than it's a waste of time to even have science in the first place-this is what all science is all about, not what you claim it is.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No one does this. Argument from ignorance.

Mathematics can contain proofs. Physics does not deal with proofs.

Explanation is your term. (Remember, fighting with yourself)

This way why I am introducing you to the concept of predictive models.

Our theory of gravity is a predictive model of what the Moon will do.
    It most emphatically does not say "what gravity is".

Same with SR, GR and QM.
    They predict very well and we can build on them.
    What things "really are" is a philosophical question.

exchemist likes this.
  14. Gravage Registered Senior Member

No, arguments based on facts, if you actually believe in mathematical fairy tales without the need of showing any real evidences, than you subjective believer and not a rational and reasonable scientist who accepts only true evidences an facts that are shown in those experiments.

No mathematics creates models, but models are useless if you cannot prove them.

Yes, explanation if crucial, otherwise everything is useless, predictive models, they are not predictive if you cannot prove them with experiments-to prove that models are actually correct or not.

At least we can directly observe the effects of gravity.

However, if models do not take everything into account, like flaws in determining what is actually affected by gravity in all those experiments (this something that scientists ignore frequently, they only see what math shows, not really what is truly shown in experiments, so they are not objective or rational in any way; than the model is useless, and quantum mechanics is also useless since you are blind and can never directly observe anything to see what is true and what is false here.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This can't go on usefully, Gravage. You hold egregious misconceptions about the thing you argue.
    I've been patient, but virtually every statement you make contains a naive, preconceived view of what science is all about.
    It is simply not about the things you attribute to it.
    You are stuck in a bucket, seeing only its walls, arguing about things you think are going on outside the bucket.

As Pauli put it: "You are not even wrong."

16. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I'm just stating facts, there are no misconceptions in having facts and evidences, not models, you simply cannot understand that model no matter how good it is, it is still unprovable until experiments are done, so the model maybe useful for technologies, but not for explanations that are not supported by evidences and with correct interpretations.
    So, you cannot say that your models are correct, if you cannot prove their accuracy.

The facts are the following: You simply cannot know if the model is right or wrong, just because it can predict things-the only thing you can actually do, is to directly see/observe the effects of what you are experimenting with-but you have no idea, what is behind all those effects and if the models that explain processes behind all those effects are right or wrong-since there is no way you can even prove the existence of subatomic particles, let alone if the models are correct in the first place.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You have yet to state one.

Still a misunderstanding of science.

Still true. Except no one but you talks about "knowing". It is unscientific.

Our physical models of the world simply predict. The ones we have (the Standard Model) predict nature extremely accurately. That means we keep them.

Make no mistake. GR and QM are two of the most tested theories in the history of civilization.
    Every single experiment has born out the predictiveness of our models with exquisite accuracy.

They don't tell us what reality is; they merely tell us how it behaves.

This is what we have been saying all along.

If you have a need to "know" what reality and nature is, you are barking up the wrong discipline. You're seeking religion.

exchemist likes this.
  18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I really don't follow your logic

I agree with you about not seeing the nutrenos making tracks in cloud chambers

No one has ever seen them

No one has ever seen the TV signal traveling between the studio and my TV set

The signal is known to be there because the the studio is certain they are sending and I can see I am receiving, I have the picture

You said it's technology. OK it's technology

And all the technology which goes into all of the technical items present started out with ideas and trial and error

The errors become less and less as the results of previous trials become better understood

There is a concept of baby steps

We don't go from a 10cent small amount of rocket powder to the next stage building a Saturn moon rocket although the concept is the same - action and reaction

The blind-elephant ear-leaf really does not mean anything except there is a plant with very large leafs which resemble in a superficial way elephant ears

I do know about people who have always been blind but have had absence of sight corrected

When they are asked to draw a bus, a mode of transport they have been using regularly, their drawings only consists of the area where they boarded the bus

Even though they can now visually see the front of the bus it does not appear in the drawings until either a long time later or sooner if they walk around the bus touching the front area

But that's a digression

EXCEPT

' If you try to explain only the tip of an iceberg what you can actually directly observe, you will always fail '

Nooooo

I will be spectacularly correct in describing the TIP

I will miss in a description of the part under the water

But I will observe the tip appears to act differently to what I expect

I will deduce something else must be present

I will explore and discover the underwater section

Then I will spectacularly described all of the iceberg

That is UNDERSTANDING and KNOWING

Try them sometime

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

How far did you get?

If you have a working model will you go into commercial production so I can buy one at Kmart?

Are you going to be like me and stop feeding trolls?

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Gravage,

DaveC426913 is right. You seem fixated on the idea that things in nature can have "proof", and that it's the job of science to "prove" things. That's not what science does. Science's job is to model the natural world so that we can make accurate predictions about how things will behave under different conditions. To do that, scientists create imaginary mental pictures of all kinds of weird stuff. In physics, we have fields and particles and waves, not to mention more mathematical things like metrics and symmetry groups and differential equations of motion.

What comes out of those mental images and the maths that fleshes them out, are predictions: if we do this in the "real world", then that will happen. If we observe this in the real world now, then tomorrow we expect to see that.

In terms of science's ability to make predictions, it doesn't matter at all what kind of mental picture we use, as long as the predictions are accurate. Science doesn't care whether electrons actually exist in the "real world", or whether spacetime really curves. What it cares about is that if the electron model tells us we can wire a battery to a light bulb then the light will go on reliably, based on our design using that electron model. Or, if we point our telescope towards galaxy A, and galaxies B and C are in particular positions in between us and A, then we will see 3 images of galaxy A, as described by our model of curved spacetime. The success or failure of the model depends only on whether our "real world" observations match what the model predicts.

If we connect up that battery and the light doesn't go on as expected (and we have done everything right according to what the model requires) then the model is faulty and must be replaced by something that works.

Now, if you don't like the idea of electrons, or curved spacetime, then you're quite free to invent your own, different models to explain why that light bulb circuit works and why you see 3 images of galaxy A. For example, your model might say that little invisible pixies carry invisible parcels of darkness away from the bulb and hide them away in the battery, and that's why the bulb lights up. Your pixie model is just fine, as far as science is concerned, as long as it explains all the different kinds of electrical circuits at least as well as the electron model does.

Science will never prove that electrons exist. But we can say with high confidence that, as far as we can tell from "real world" observations of many different kinds, the "real world" behaves as if those imaginary electrons exist as described by the electron model. And that's all that science requires in order for us to find the electron model useful.

It can't be "simply wrong", because it all predicts "real world" results that we can directly observe.

You might be able to show some other model(s) are more powerful than the ones we currently use, but you can't deny that our current models are incredibly useful and productive.

If we can never see reality the way it is, then the best we can do is to make models to the extent of our abilities.

Those two statements are incompatible with one another. If our "incredible technologies" are created using the very models ("hypotheses") that you claim are "simply useless", then what's going on? Are we just having an incredible streak of blind luck? Or what?

But the math we use does help us to make accurate predictions using our models, and we constantly check those predictions against what we directly observe. If the predictions weren't accurate, then we'd have to throw away the maths and start again.

To emphasise: science does not say that a statement like "this track in the bubble chamber was caused by an electron" is "proven". What it says is "this track in the bubble chamber is consistent with what the model of an electron passing through the chamber would predict". The difference is a bit subtle, but I hope you're starting to understand by now.

Tell me what you think a track in bubble chamber "actually proves".

How do you propose to explain and predict tracks in a bubble chamber without using some kind of model?

The particle model is convenient since it allows us to make useful predictions about what will happen when we use a bubble chamber. And what happens in a bubble chamber is relevant to our understanding of physical phenomena of much wider applicability. This is why money and time are spent on bubble chambers* - they aren't there merely to keep some physicists amused.

As for scientists misguiding people, what do you want to replace (mathematical) scientific models with, exactly? What are you going to tell "people all over the world" about what goes on in a bubble chamber?

But you're wrong, again.

Mathematical models are "provable" insofar as they either make accurate predictions of real-world observations, or they do not. Not all models are created equal. There are good models and bad ones.

Again: what do you propose to replace mathematical models with? How will you make predictions about anything?

---
    * Bubble chambers are outdated technology these days, since we have better ways to detect particles in collisions, so not much money is spent on them these days. At one time, though, they were the best available tool for the job.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)

Ophiolite has already asked you on numerous occasions what you regard as "true science". Now I'll ask you the same thing. What does "true science" look like to you, Gravage? Can you give me an example or two of "true science"?

On your other point here, why do you think these models so good for making technologies, if they are all "simply wrong"? Just dumb luck?

You might say that we can start with a bad mathematical model and then when it doesn't work we replace it with a better version, by trial and error. But that's not trial and error at all, is it? That's science. We use the model to make a prediction. We test the prediction against the "real world" and find that it's wrong. So, we alter the model and try again. Over time, the model gets more and more accurate in making predictions. But it didn't happen by "trial and error" in the sense that we randomly changed the model each time. We tried to understand exactly which parts of the model were problematic after each test, and we just altered those parts, leaving the "working" parts alone. This is incremental, guided, deliberate improvement, not mere "trial and error".

Wrong again, if by "opinions" you mean mere untested fantasies. Because the models science uses have been tested and improved over centuries, using "real world" observations and experiments.

The models have been "proven" to work, in that they are demonstrably useful in making predictions and creating technologies. That is quite different from saying that the entities the models posit - like electrons or curved spacetime - have been "proven" to be real. But you seem to me mixing up those two very different kinds of "proof".

The thing is, if you don't like the big bang theory, you're very welcome to propose an alternative hypothesis of your own. All it needs to do is to make predictions about what we will observe in the "real world" that are at least as accurate as the predictions made by the big bang theory. We don't care if your theory has invisible pixies or a purple dragon called Shiela creating the stars and galaxies, provided that it explains all the relevant "real world" observations - the relative abundances of hydrogen and helium in the universe, the Hubble law, the cosmic microwave background radiation and on on.

You say you know that something cannot come from nothing. But how do you know that? Aren't you relying on your own model to claim you know that?

From what you have written, it seem that the further those "real world" evidences are removed from what your human senses can "directly" detect, the more you distrust them.

Thus, you probably accept what you see with your naked eyes. If you look through some reading glasses, probably you also accept what you see? But what about a microscope? Do you accept that bacteria exist, for example? (Have you ever looked through a microscope and seen such things?) And if you accept what you see through a light microscope, what about an electron microscope?

It seems to me that you pick and choose what you think counts as "real world" evidences based on how far you think you can trust a scientific instrument and the people who made it. And that probably depends on how much you think you understand about how it works. So, if the workings of an electron microscope are a mystery to you, then the electron microscope becomes, for you, a source of "unproven" facts about other stuff that can't be "proven".

At the other end of the scale, you probably trust a pair of binoculars well enough. A light telescopes? Maybe, but not so much. Radio telescopes? Forget it - you don't understand how radio works too good, so anything a radio telescope shows is probably "unproven" fantasy. And gravity wave detectors? No idea how those might begin to work, so now we're in the realm of "mathematical pseudo-evidences".

I'm right, aren't I?

I don't see you suggesting any way we can see more of the "real truth" you keep banging on about.

If the limits on what can be proven have already been reached, should we just stop doing science completely, then? Is this what you think?

Are you saying we should just stop trying to find out more about the world from now on, and be content with where our current "unproven" science has got us to?

Final point: you say that mathematical models are all 100% wrong and that all physical theories are useless. But you also claim that such things are "usable for implementations for every day lives". Why, in your opinion, should we use something in our daily lives that is 100% wrong and useless?

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

One more thing, Gravage...

Can we consider a real-world example I put to you earlier?

Let's say I come to you and ask you to build me an x-ray machine by "trial and error"?

Please give me a brief outline of how you would go about doing that. Relevant questions:

1. What would you do first?
    2. How would you decide what raw materials you would need, and where would you get them?
    3. Suppose the eventual aim is to make an x-ray photograph of your hand, showing the bones inside. Do you think that such a "real world" picture is possible, without cutting your hand open and looking at the bones directly?
    4. Can you describe to me what possible "real world" mechanism could make an x-ray photo of your hand? Note that you shouldn't rely on any "unproven" model entities, only directly-observable ones, since we can't trust any "mathematical" models.
    5. Do you believe in "x-rays"? If so, why? Because they are unobservable, are they not? And if you don't believe in them, how to you think actual x-ray photos are made? Isn't the idea of "x-rays" a 100% wrong mathematical model?
    6. Would your x-ray machine need to be powered somehow? What would you use to power it? How would you construct teh power supply, without depending some kind of 100% wrong mathematical model?
    7. How would your machine produce the "x-rays" (if you think x-rays exist)? Or, if x-rays don't exist, how would your machine take the "x-ray" photograph of your hand?

That's enough for starters.

23. river

BB is a primitive cosmological theory .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.