The Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'World Events' started by dumbest man on earth, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I suspect we're referring to different sets of "them". I was talking about the yahoos, not the state administrations, generals and 'aristocracy' - who did and still do their own share of screwing over the poor whites as well as the blacks under their auspices.
    The nobility of a miserable, painful, humiliating contest to see who can produce the biggest stinking pile of corpses on the biggest smouldering heap of ashes ... There you have one of the definitive symptoms of Human Brain Disease. And, for sure, American administrations have touted "war" on just about everyone and everything as an excuse for ---
    even more screwing over.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Why is there such outrage and protesting going on? If all you say is true, there wouldn’t be any outrage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

• "taking part in the discussion" has nothing to do with who talking points are addressed to. But go ahead, show me the prevalence of "black people need to do better" proportional to the black murders at the hands of blacks. And considering this started in the US, I'm not really interested in foreigners issues or virtue signalling.
    • One that is vastly overshadowed by the comparatively minuscule instances of whites killing blacks.
    • No, it was a valid question. If neither whites nor police are responsible for the vast majority of black deaths, are they responsible for policing blacks who kill each other? I'm not the one promulgating the dichotomy between blacks and police. Those who are often seem fine with using racist slurs against black officers.
    • You're being obtuse.

Many people blame others for the disappointment they feel in their own lives, and they seek out ways to be outraged against anyone they can find excuses to blame. Leftist politicians encourage this in order to stay in power on the idea of "righting a wrong", whether it objectively exists or not. The facts are that blacks commit around 50% of all US murders, even though they are only around 13% of the population. That puts them in disproportionately more interactions with police, who still manage to kill fewer unarmed blacks than they do unarmed whites. Look it up for yourself. Race-baiters use extremely rare instances to claim there's some kind of systemic problem when the statistics simply do not bear that out.

Sensationalized news and emotional arguments always sway those who don't know the facts. You haven't even acknowledged that all those in the GA incident have been charged, nor shown me any cases of unjustified police or white on black shootings that got off scot-free.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Are they also Atheists? Are they scientism followers?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Your continued categorising and labeling anyone that obviously disagrees with your sickening "fuck you, I'm alright Jack" attitude, borders on childishness and total dishonesty.
    Yet your posts continue to reflect those qualities, sprinkled with lies, inuendo, and red neckary. [a new word!]

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

They were charged, but it took two months, I believe.

My question for you is why now? If this is all just a ploy by the media, why now? Why not last year, or two months ago? There were protests and riots after the Michael Brown case, for example, but they were pretty short lived. Why do you think the climate is different now? Do you think an upcoming election and many voters' weariness over Trump has anything to do with it?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see. No, we're not changing to the subject to give comfort to white supremacism.

Well, the discussion among black people is not subject to the satisfaction of white supremacism.

Perhaps it seems a valid question in a context justifying white supremacism, but it's the responsibility of all people to better attend all communities. You asked, "Is it the responsibility of white people to better police black communities?" The idea that "white people" should "police black communities" is stupid. Remember, though, the whole slow-learner routine can, given enough time and reiteration, become believable.

Do you really think "people are up in arms" because "white people" need "to better police black communities"?

No, really, the whole pretense of of incompetence does, with enough insistence, eventually convince people to take it at face value.

10. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Not two months. There was an inconclusive investigation, slowed by the ongoing coronavirus crisis, then the video came out May 5th and the two were arrested May 7th. That's pretty quick once damning evidence was found. Without which, they could have claimed self-defense.

The media always tries to stir the pot, but after people getting desperate from losing jobs from the coronavirus outbreak, it didn't take much for peaceful protests to turn into looting, and the Democrat officials' lack of effective response encouraged people in other cities to do the same. Really? With the year we've had so far, you really don't know what's different now? Desperation. For the Democrats over the upcoming election, their allies in the media for waning revenue, and for many people economically.

11. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

No, it's completely refusing to even countenance holding black people as responsible as anyone else that is racist.

Yes, it is, you're just unaware of the white supremacism of white "liberals". White "liberals" are the ones who decide not to run stories about blacks calling out their own communities, as if those black voices only matter when they intersect with a white person or a cop. Black voices should matter, even when what they say has nothing to do with whites.

Are you that ignorant or intentionally lying? You're the one justifying ignoring the vast majority of black deaths. That is objectively more inline with white supremacy than anything I've ever said. And I'm sure they really appreciate your efforts to help them.

I agree, the idea that white people should police black communities is stupid. You're so eager to assume the worst in others that you completely missed that point. It was a rhetorical question, not an assertion.

Of course not. Maybe you should ask a few questions instead of always assuming the worst. Not that you're capable of that.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I don't know, Wegs, do you think the continuing, lawless slaughter of black men by police, and uptick in blatant and affecting white supremacism during the Trump period, have anything to do with it?

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There are factors not often thought about:
    • The huge increase in unemployed persons stood down or furloughed because of the COVID-19 pandemic that are going stir crazy sitting at home have only now got the time to look at how they feel about issues such as
      • Systemic racism.
      • Trends towards fascism by the Federal Government. ( Provoking a crisis as Trump regularly does is about creating the demand and providing the solution as crisis inspires authoritarianism and a suspension of democracy )
      • Climate change
      • Injustice generally
      • Basically there has been a significant percentage increase in activism generally due to becoming idle
      • Issue Denial - generally
    • The massive increase in collective anxiety due to a deep unsettling perception that the world is moving closer every day towards chaos and anarchy, due to climate change inaction, COVID inaction, Social injustice inaction and basically not doing enough to solve our problems due primarily to denial. ( As demonstrated here in this thread by some members)
    "Paranoia is a bitch" said the sexist, transgendered, mixed race, psychologist.
    just thoughts...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Damning evidence was found long before it"came out".
    The investigation was "inconclusive" only as long as the evidence that had been found could be ignored and denied, as was customary over the years.
    That is standard in these cases - the normal situation. Often the simple and straightforward recounting of the sequence of events, as one would find in a theoretically normative and professionally dispassionate news report of the incident, serves as damning evidence.
    The looting was not done by the peaceful protestors, in my area (Twin Cities). And it apparently wasn't instigated or promoted by people in the area newly desperate from recent job loss.
    And the protests did not "turn into" anything - they continued as protests. They still are protests, when they happen - as they will, since the police are continuing to abuse black people.

So you're 0 fo 4 on central aspects of the situation, there, in the space of a couple of dozen words shoved together in one ungrammatical clause.

Meanwhile the police in the US cannot seem to stop killing unarmed black men ( and women and children, at times) without apparent reason other than racial bigotry. They can't even stop doing that when on camera, and in front of witnesses.

It resembles a personal custom or routine that got a grip on the reward system, becoming a habit hard to break, a reflexive perversity or addiction whose treatment as a matter of mental health requires, as an early step, the difficult recognition and honest admission of one's problem.

The police - most of them anyway, in the US - remain far from taking that step. Police in the US have been doing this for so long that they cannot distinguish it from unavoidable reality, the inevitable nature of their job.

You would know if they ever became ready to change on their own: they would appear in public and admit to having no control over their abuse of black people; they would ask for help from the civilian community they are policing, accept the advice they receive, and change their behavior accordingly. Their behavior would change in many visible ways.

That would be the proven and effective way to change character - change behavior, and maintain that change long enough for the mentality to adapt.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

@Vociferous

Trump (Tulsa campaign rally) has just now stated that he has asked to have COVID testing slowed down because....wait for it.... it will show more people are infected... I mean to say... gosh! This thread is titled "intelligence on display" lol
    Do you think that this statement from Trump is indicative of his intelligence?

US President Donald Trump says he ordered authorities to slow down the rate of coronavirus testing because it was adding to the number of COVID-19 infections being recorded.

It would have to be one of the most bizarre statements I have ever heard a nations leader say...( apart from farting on an open mike..)

src includes video:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06...ordered-slowdown-coronavirus-testing/12377556

Do you feel embarrassed yet?

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Democratic officials in my region have been responding well - refusing to be provoked by the provocateurs or the police or the typically fear-driven Republican snowflakes, generally calm and prudent in their reactions. The cool nerve it took to decide - while under pressure and in the spotlight - to abandon the Third Precinct police station to what the Republican media feed was promoting as a spontaneously violent and irrationally rampaging mob probably saved a few lives, for example - certainly many serious harms and repercussions.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If Trump actually did that, rather than yet again engaging in his standard fairytale bonding ritual with his Republican Party thug base, it would be yet another impeachable offense.

Either way, Trump's handling of his base shows a masterful ability to take advantage of their intellectual shortcomings and lack of education.

btw: Since it no longer possesses its formerly top line First World public health infrastructure the US at present unable to collect high quality data on the spread of the coronavirus, the effects of the plague on the health of US citizens in general, or the deployment of various measures such as testing; one consequence is that there is no completely solid way to check those claims by Trump - it is not possible, for example, to determine with confidence how many different people have been tested for current infection in the US.

That means Trump has no way of knowing that number either, of course - he (or somebody) pulled that "25 million" figure out of his ass.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing#united-states
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data#trajectories-of-total-deaths (careful: semilog and log/log graphs are common there, and tricky for the inexperienced)
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data (the embedding site of these two subsidiary links is worth exploring, imho)

Jeeves likes this.
  18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Would constantly attempting to intimidate, by threatening and inciting revolution, also be an impeachable offense?

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

In that Tulsa rally Trump also referred to the virus as "Kung-flu". With racism quite a significant topic in the news these days, Trump simply can't help but stoke the flames.
    He also seems to think the reported number of cases matters more than the actual number of people contracting and dying from the virus. Or maybe he thinks that if you didn't identify a case then it didn't happen? Hey, I know: let's not test anyone. Zero testing = zero cases = perfect handling of the crisis. Crisis? What Crisis?
    I note, however, that his White House staff were quick to roll out the "He was clearly joking" excuse that they must surely now have on stand-by every time Trump opens his mouth.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What i most appreciated about this rally was how the Brave and Free Americans, who think wearing a mask or putting off their new tattoo for a couple of months is tantamount to abrogating their citizenship to The Nanny State*
    (*their sentiment; not their vocabulary)
    were afraid to come out and support their president, when "he and his family have sacrificed so much"*
    (*their words; not from any source of information on which i'm current)
    because some people outside were wearing shirts with a slogan different from their own.
    huh

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yes, but I’m asking Vociferous if he thinks there’s a connection.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So am I.

With the observation that the "yahoo" set includes members of all economic classes below the "aristocracy". The small business owner, the self-employed tradesman, the machinist, the heavy equipment operator, the the long haul trucker, the hard rock or fossil fuel miner, the better paid of the working class in general (especially non-union), the farmer on any size farm, is a Republican voter. They voted for Reagan, they voted for Trump - equivalent votes, from the same people. The Trump voters and the Reagan voters are the same people - the voting base of the Republican Party.

The typical Trump voter belongs to a demographic that has been - comparatively - coddled and catered to by the dominant political forces of the richest country on earth. The typical Trump voter has had their interests represented by a plurality or majority of the elected officials in their town, city, county, State, and Federal level governments, for more than a century now. If their elected officials screwed them over - as of course they did - the fact remains that those officials were elected by them, with their votes and support.

They would have no one to blame but themselves - in the real world.

The problem with that is obvious: they would have to face the reality of what they had voted for and not voted against, supported and opposed; the manner in which they had - in the real world - failed their adult political responsibilities and betrayed their country, State, county, city, town, and neighbors as well as themselves and their families, for their entire adult lives; and worst of all the reasons for that betrayal and those votes. The blame is heavy. It was bad, what they did.

So: something had to be done about the real world, with the fate of the Republican Party (its promise of tax cuts and regulation reductions) on the line. Enter the US fascist movement and its billionaire funded media operations; its thousands of marketers, lobbyists, propaganda composers, and well funded pressure groups; and its still-growing dominance over the American communications and information infrastructure - everything from news delivery and popular entertainment to grade school curricula and book publishing.

Hence the importance of the fictional world created for them and with the goal of pleasing them, the multiple and wholesale on-the-fly rewritings of history necessary for maintaining that fictional world, the constant framing and reframing of the major issues of public discussion to align them with that fictional world, and the conditioning of this voting base to accept the ever-shifting, absurd, self-contradictory, and surreal, as the pillars of their understanding.

The generation-long and ongoing assembly of the Republican Party voting base has presented us with a remarkable display of marketing expertise and focused intelligence - of a kind. Conspiracies of evil men are not, it turns out, confined to the plots of Hollywood movies any more than they are confined to the historical record of the long past.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

This is quite true today. Many of those categories didn't exist in 1870. In all other particulars, I'm inclined to agree, with only a few reservations as to who did what to whom, when. But, as all of that is a side-track, I'll stand with you 100% on the salient point: